TooL!

I’m of the same mind. Tempting as it is, I’ll pass.
Another boxset is not what my shelves need.

I would like to add that I don’t splash the cash like this for box sets normally - I usually wait and hope to find them cheaper later - but on this occasion I caved in!

I just love the design and iconography etc that is used - it might be all bs - but I just find all the codes and stuff fascinating and it looks brill!

Chances are it may never get played - but I’ll be happy.

Plus another way of looking at it is there are lots of people / collectors who have to have every version of one album and probably spend more on that one title than the Tool album cost…

Sorry - I’ve gone on a bit haven’t I?

:sunglasses: :pleading_face: :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I got to my room and listened to Opiate2 and man is it good! Come to find out this extended (long) version of Opiate is like the one they have been playing at concerts the last several years.

So many talking points on the song, but Danny takes an extended period rounding the drums in psychedelic fashion that opens the song into new territory, and sonically there are some new effects in this remake that catapult this track to a new level. Gave me chills at one point. I feel like this studio release is a real gift…release it on vinyl….Maynard’s voice is as good as ever

6 Likes

Indeed. Firstly I did not see the need of rerecording, but turns out to be a better version of an already strong song. Love it! By the way, superb setup you have there!!

2 Likes

FI on vinyl in da house!

4 Likes

1 Like

For those on the fence on this release: just WOW! This is quite pricey, but the quality of this box set is the best I’ve seen! Every aspect of the packaging is simply superb. So far the first disc isn’t disappointing. Spot on flatness with zero noise. Mixing is clearly superior to the CD, not over amplified, you’ll need to turn it louder. End result is superior dynamics to the CD. Hearing the rhythmic warmth and the smoothness the vinyl brings to the party is a clear differentiator versus the CD or Tidal stream.

Go ahead and treat yourself!

3 Likes

I just had to add one thing. I might actually prefer this to the original:

I said might. But even if that is blasphemous, it is incredible and adds a whole different dimension to the music. And those layered, distorted guitars! Just wow.

6 Likes

Oooh,that’s a tough call.:slight_smile:

Was on the fence with this as it’s not cheap but I think I may be investing in it this week.

I’m really not one for multi-discs (in fact I hate them) but this does look a lovely set.

Anyone going to the tour next month?

I’m off to Brum and I’m in Ireland the weekend they are there so may head to Dublin too.

One caveat on the construction of this new set: it’s very well done, and there is a lot of material, so consequently it’s pretty heavy. Probably around 5 pounds in fact. HOWEVER, when you have a design that is fairly massive and the binding of the inner sleeves / pages is bound with glue, well, you can guess what will eventually happen. And by eventually, for me it took the 4th time having opened it and pulling out the vinyl discs. I was attempting to rehouse the 3rd disc with the set splayed open when the binding collecting all vinyl sleeves and graphics split down the middle and the set partially peeled back (from the inside between the third and fourth vinyl sleeve “pages”). It did NOT rip through and cause the whole “book” to split, and I quickly pulled the pages back to let the glue reconnect and since have shut it away in the slipcase to reside left alone for several days. Obviously a good superglue might be in order the next time I open it, but the point is that this is clearly the one thing wrong with the design / construction of the set that I have found thus far. It’s important to note that the quality of the vinyl has been superb; and along with the rest of the box, provides a high degree of satisfaction - certainly no buyer’s remorse.

As always, just wish they would release a simple, 180g vinyl set for the ubiquitous $40 so I could have something “handy” to play frequently.

1 Like

Just got back from the Brum gig.

WOW. That was one of the best live experiences I’ve ever witnessed. If anyone hasn’t seen Tool live then get a ticket bought ASAP.

I saw them years ago at Reading but it wasn’t the same atmosphere really, and this was 10+ years ago so the setlist was very different.

Absolutely no phones allowed throughout the entire gig and it was so nice to be at a gig without camera flashes-phone screens everywhere.

They had the signed album there for £600 and I contemplated it for about 5-seconds and thought better of it.

8 Likes

Was there too and couldn’t agree more - only downside was: why when you’ve spent that sort of money do you need to keep going to the bar and/or toilet - please sit and watch the spectacle! But yes phenomenal concert!

Oh! Nearly forgot to all members please check out their support band “Brass Against” - Very different and very good - well worth a listen!

2 Likes

We were lucky and got x2 tickets for £60 lat weekend. We were on the front row of the tiered section in the corner and the view was superb.

Don’t talk to me about Brass Against. We got to one of the restaurants for 6:45, eventually sat down at 8 and they told us it was a 30-minute wait for food. I walked out not very happy.

19th of May I will see them (again) in Amsterdam! Surely will be the gig of 2022.

2 Likes

To my surprise I’ve not come across these guys. I listen to a lot of heavy rock but not really metal.
Been reading and listening a bit to them today.
Subtlety doesn’t appear to be their “thing”. Particularly lyrically.
I shall do a bit more YouTubing.
Thank you for the thread.

Not sure I follow. Subtlety isn’t something I associate with heavy rock. Most HR lyrics I’ve heard are either crass (not the Crass, lol), sexist or twee twaddle about mythology, dragons or space opera and such (more in that awful ‘Sci Fi’ metal I guess).

Hawkwind could pull it off, I guess.

I always found Tool musically refreshing, and subtle.
Comparatively :upside_down_face:

Then again…I haven’t heard much Heavy Rock, compared to some. Loved Blue Cheer though!

1 Like

Think you did not read the right lyrics then.

As a life time heavy music fan I can say that this genre of music contains very powerful lyrical content. Of course there are bands that do have content in their songs as you suggest above but they are very few and far between in my experience. Those bands are often more in the rock genre than Metal/Heavy Rock also. In the main the lyrics are intellectual and deep. This is one of the reasons I listen to so much heavy music. I connect to the themes and find that there is incredible perspective offered through this type of music.

Just my experience anyway :wink:

5 Likes

Amen to that!

1 Like