Totem Tribe Tower

That’s a good point about the UK prices. I have noticed the Tribe Towers sell for 50% more in the UK, than here in Canada.
Of course, UK products are more expensive here in Canada than they are at home. It pays to buy locally (the Totem factory is about 20 minutes from my home).

1 Like

I’d beg them to let me try all their speakers if I were living that close to them :grin:
@DanielH Ask them for a factory tour (unless you’ve already had it).

1 Like

I would love a factory tour. If I get the chance once the pandemic ends, I would certainly take it.

2 Likes

Please remember to take some photos for all the Totem fans in this forum. That would be great!

Also I’ve been thinking about this:

I would have expected 10-20-30% more in the worst scenario, not 50%! I thought there were better business agreements considering that Canada is also part of the Commonwealth.

1 Like

I demoed a pair last year at my local Naim dealer, and I was really impressed in how large they sounded (especially for such a svelte box). I would have been really interested, but stock wasn’t available so I couldn’t try at home, and then I ended up buying a pair of SL2’s.

I’m still interested in hearing how the Tribe Towers sound in my room though

1 Like

I didn’t have the best experience with mine but Vince was very accommodating being that he is on the other side of the world.
My Sky Towers arrived in an un-damaged box but the tweeter was found to be pushed in on unboxing.
To my annoyance and at not the fault of my dealer and many photos, the uk distributer who in is Belgium would not replace them and wanted to just have my dealer replace the defective tweeter.

Obviously not what you want, having your new speakers being repaired at no fault of your own and just before even using them.
Then after that, after a couple of months, the paint around many of the joins began to shrink and crack.

This again involved the dealer who had the same battle with the distribution who ordered just a replacement cabinet.
Then finally to top it all off, in between, my daughter tripped and took out one of the speakers resulting in an insurance claim and I then moved away from Totem. :pensive:

@JonoB This is exactly what made Totem speakers to stand out from the others in my opinion, I’ve never heard such a wide and detailed soundstage.

@popeye What a story, I’m very sorry to hear that. And I was angry just because the grilles of my Sky Towers had issues with their glue. After a while I managed to get them replaced, they told me they had a production issue. You’ve been way more unluckier than me! At least the local distributer is inside my country.

I wonder, did anybody else experience these kind of problems?

I’m quite curious as well, everybody says their soundstage is fantastic.

I think highly of Totem speakers. It seems to me their focus is on music and not on perfect frequency measurements. I have been running a pair of the Signature Ones for the past ciupke of years through a Uniti Atom. My eventual soeaker may well be one of the Elements, which I have listened to extensively. Blazing fast and tight. I have compared those with numerous Kef speakers which are always very clear but seem to lack a certain musicality to my ear. I have also compared them with the Aerial 6T’s which are also phenomenal speakers but a bit too reserved and suffering from a touch of bass overhang.

That said, I think Totems like power and more so than their sensitivity tating suggest, to pull out all their goodness. Indeed I have been researching amps for some time, and may step out of Naim for that. This should probably be a separate post, but has anyone paired a Naim pre with Accuphase?

1 Like

They certainly do, as many models carry a nominal 4 ohm load, especially those with the Torrent drivers. That is the downside of the design, they are power hungry.

I drive mine just fine with my SN2.

1 Like

A few pictures of mine:

8 Likes

Also, a short video clip of the Tribes and my NDX2.

Oops, it seems we can’t upload any videos?

You think it’s fine, till you have heard them with a NAP250 upwards!
Transformational. Just always bare that in mind, there is a massive upgrade there to be had if you ever want it.
As I say, I auditioned both Sky and Tribe at the same time. Sky was the better speaker with the Supernait2 and it was due to the Supernait being able to drive and control them better.
:+1:t2:

I wouldn’t mind hearing a 250 with my Forest Signatures :sunglasses:

1 Like

@DanielH I think you should upload it on YouTube and share the link.
Did you upgrade the claws? If I’m not mistake, those aren’t the original.

@Mike_S You might regret it :grin: Here we go again with another upgrade.

@popeye Do you think it might be better to focus on the pre or the amp to control the power hungry Totems better? I noticed that they enjoy power, that’s why I ended up with my Exposure 3010S2D instead of the 2010, the improvement was pretty clear.

1 Like

I upgraded the original feet with Isoacoustics Gaia IIIs.

2 Likes

@DanielH Interesting, it seems to be a reasonably priced upgrade. Would you recommend them? What benefits did you get with your Tribes? I might consider that for my Sky Towers. I would expect the soundstage to improve and get a cleaner bass response

It is a very good upgrade for the price. Yes, I recommend them. The imaging became a little more precise, and the bass even tighter.

I am not sure they would be a good fit on the Sky towers. Do you have the 3 claw system? If so, I would keep the 3 claws.

The Tribe Towers had 4 regular rounded feet, so it was a good fit to change them.

1 Like

Yes you are right, I have 3 claws indeed. Why do you think they might not be needed?

I just visited the Totem website and they say, just as you did, that different spikes shouldn’t really be needed: They are fitted with ¼” 20 thread inserts to accommodate optional spikes (not included) should the rare need for a spike arise, but they are neither needed nor recommended"

The 3 claw system is already very good. I would not change it. I also fear the speaker might be wobbly with the Gaias, as they are meant for speakers with 4 feet.

1 Like