Tour de France 2019

Unfortunately not included. If I had got one? Yes of course i had put it on.

I have one from the 1990s but it’s far too heavy and warm for July! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I really felt for Toms Skujins today as he gave it all in to get away but only to hit the wall on the côte des cinq châteaux where he got gobbled up by the bunch and spat out the back.
At least he got awarded the most aggressive rider of Stage Five :+1:

Peter Sagan, a fine win, and a fairly good Incredible Hulk impersonation on the finishing line! :joy:
Peter has also got in the top ten GC, that’s good going for a sprinter! :+1:

<>

Tour de France 2019, stage five: Saint-DiĂŠ-des-Vosges to Colmar (175.5k)

1. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe, in 4-03-33
  2. Wout van Aert (Bel) Jumbo-Visma
  3. Matteo Trentin (Ita) Mitchelton-Scott
  4. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
  5. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC Team
  6. Julien Simon (Fra) Cofidis, Solutions CrĂŠdits
  7. Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb
  8. Nils Politt (Ger) Katusha-Alpecin
  9. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
  10. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, all at same time

General classification after stage five

1. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, in 18-44-12
  2. Wout van Aert (Bel) Jumbo-Visma, at 14 seconds
  3. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma, at 25s
  4. George Bennett (Nzl) Jumbo-Visma, at same time
  5. Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb, at 40s
  6. Egan Bernal (Col) Team Ineos, at same time
  7. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos, at 45s
  8. Enric Mas (Esp) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at 46s
  9. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe, at 50s
  10. Greg Van Avermaet (Bel) CCC Team, at 51s
1 Like

Thursday 11th July - Stage 6: Mulhouse – La Planche des Belles Filles (157km)

This stage looks really difficult, but we should find out who’s in form, and who’s left behind : )

The stage includes a summit finish of 24% for the final 500m :grimacing:

3 Likes

I’ll be flicking between this and the cricket, looks like another late night for those of us down under. :crazy_face:

1 Like

What happened to Edvald Boasson Hagen yesterday?
Dropped off the back and made a great effort to get back to the peloton.
Was it mechanical, physical or what?

Great ride by Sagan, that was text book last 2K. In the right position all the time. Masterful

1 Like

Good start for England in the cricket Pete. Are you an Aussie or an ex pat? The stage in the Tour looks brutal. I love being retired on a day like this!

Stu

Brutal.

No born and bred in Sydney, living an hour north of the big smoke. England started with bang, Smith and AC have steady the Aussies

1 Like

Edvald Boasson Hagen is a heavy-weight sprinter so finds it hard to cope well on the climbs, he got dropped a minute down on the final climb but did really well to chase on the descent to the finish and got back to the leading peloton with 8 km to go.

It was however a better day for the lighter-weight sprinters!

1 Like

Enjoyed viewing the Stage 5 last evening when I arrived home. Always impressive to watch the peloton break once the big hills/mountains come into play. A brutal ride for some but a great finish by Peter Sagin and the sprinters who made it to the finish line.

Looking forward to Stage 6, the last climb looks brutal and a big day for the GC contenders!

Tour de France 2019, stage six: Mulhouse to La Planche des Belles Filles (160.5km)

1. Dylan Teuns (Bel) Bahrain-Merida, in 4-29-03
  2. Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo, at 11 seconds
  3. Xandro Meurisse (Bel) Wanty-Gobert, at 1-05
  4. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos, at 1-44
  5. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ, at 1-46
  6. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at same time
  7. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar, at 1-51
  8. Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe, at same time
  9. Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana, at 1-53
  10. Mikel Landa (Esp) Movistar, at same time

General classification after stage six

1. Giulio Ciccone (Ita) Trek-Segafredo, in 23-14-55
  2. Julian Alaphilippe (Fra) Deceuninck – Quick-Step, at 6s
  3. Dylan Teuns (Bel) Bahrain-Merida, at 32s
  4. George Bennett (Nzl) Jumbo-Visma, at 47s
  5. Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Ineos, at 49s
  6. Egan Bernal (Col) Team Ineos, at 53s
  7. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ, at 58s
  8. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) Jumbo-Visma, at 1-04
  9. Michael Woods (Can) EF Education First, at 1-13
  10. Rigoberto UrĂĄn (Col) EF Education First, at 1-15
1 Like

The mountainous stage 6 the most hotly contested so far, with 7 KOM point summits fought over by the usual suspects in the breakaway.
Personally i think Thomas de Gendt should have got the combative award (most aggressive rider) for persistently defending his team mate Tim Wellens effort to retain, and acquire more points for the polkadot jersey. Wellens succeeded to keep the jersey but also got the combative award for the day.

The 14 man breakaway whittled down to just a two man duel on the final summit finish, a superb stage win for Dylan Teuns (Bahrain Merida).
The disappointed look on Giulio Ciccone’s face was short lived when he soon found himself with the yellow jersey, no doubt helped by this years new arrangement of ‘time bonuses’, winning 8 seconds on the Col des Chevreres :+1:

As well as winning the yellow jersey Giulio Ciccone also leads the young riders white jersey award, and moves up to 2nd placement [behind Tim Wellens] in the climbers polkadot jersey.

An excellent day all round for Trek-Segafredo who move up to 1st team position! :wink:

3 Likes

I caught the last climb yesterday live and it just looked horrible on those ramps. G looked pretty comfortable and laid a bit of a marker but noticeable to me that the Ineos ‘super domestiques’ went missing fairly early. That might make for a more open GC battle later in the race if it continues.

Bruce

I got the impression the Ineos team is lacking the management skills of Chris Froome, pretty sure he would of driven chase peloton harder to catch the breakaway on the final climbs, another problem with Ineos is having two leaders - so perhaps some inner-team rivalry (?)
But yesterday seemed like a miscalculation from the big power climber teams to read the race and deal with it accordingly to keep the breakaway in check, Movistar for instance had 6 strong riders together on their epic lacklustre chase.

Having said that, i also am happy to see a more open GC battle :+1:

1 Like

Friday 12th July Stage 7: Belfort – Chalon-sur-Saône (230km)

The longest stage of the race, the riders will travel through Ornans en route to Chalon-sur-SaĂ´ne.

1 Like

Probably the GC teams happy not to take the Jersey too early - better have Trek or DQS have the responsibility to control the race for a few more days.

Arrived home late last evening and watched Stage 6. I thought the break away did a great job, a tip of the hat to Tim Wellens continuing to be in the break away and picking up 26 KOM points. Would have loved to seen one of the teams in the Peloton lead the charge much sooner to capture the break away on that last hill. With that said congratulations to Dylan Tenus for winning stage 6 and Giulio Ciccone taking the Yellow Jersey. A lot of pain, sweat and effort to finish this stage and end with that killer climb!

Tour de France 2019, stage seven: Belfort to Chalon-sur-SaĂ´ne (230km)

1. Dylan Groenewegen (Ned) Jumbo-Visma, in 6-02-44
  2. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Lotto-Soudal)
  3. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
  4. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
  5. Jasper Philipsen (Bel) UAE Team Emirates
  6. Elia Viviani (Ita) Deceuninck – Quick-Step
  7. Giacomo Nizzolo (Ita) Dimension Data
  8. Jasper Stuyven (Bel) Trek-Segafredo
  9. Michael Matthews (Aus) Sunweb
  10. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) UAE Team Emirates, all at same time

No change to top twenty GC from yesterday

<>

Dylan Groenewegen is on top form, if he wasn’t unlucky enough to have been one of those who crashed just before the Stage One sprint he would have probably won that stage as well, instead of his team lead-out mate :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like