Tour de France 2024 đŸ‡«đŸ‡·

Fabulous for him to take the stage win record with a classic Cav-style win. It was amazing how he found the right wheel to be on and always took the ideal side to pass the rider in front. Chapeau.

8 Likes

Just wow
 can’t believe it, well, I can actually. Such a character and an amazing athlete. So happy for him as he truly deserves it!!

7 Likes

Chapeau

4 Likes

You gotta wonder when the movie’s coming out?!

3 Likes

TDF Legend he has finally done it
So pleased for him and what he has achieved
Couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy

10 Likes

Wonderful result, really glad he succeeded, it was meant to be.

13 Likes
5 Likes

Stage 5 Results : SAINT-JEAN-DE-MAURIENNE - SAINT VULBAS

1. Mark Cavendish :uk: Astana Qazaqstan, in 4:08:46
  2. Jasper Philipsen (Bel) Alpecin-Deceuninck
  3. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) Uno-X Mobility
  4. Arnaud De Lie (Bel) Lotto Dstny
  5. Fabio Jakobsen (Ned) dsm-firmenich PostNL
  6. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Israel-Premier Tech
  7. Arnaud Démare (Fra) Arkéa-B&B Hotels
  8. Gerben Thijssen (Bel) Intermarché-Wanty
  9. Biniam Girmay (Eri) Intermarché-Wanty
  10. Marijn van den Berg (Ned) EF Education-EasyPost, all at same time

(all 174 riders finished Stage 5)

:green_square: POINTS CLASSIFICATION

1. Biniam Girmay :eritrea: Intermarché-Wanty, 102 points
  2. Mads Pedersen (Den) Lidl-Trek, 94 points
  3. Jonas Abrahamsen (Nor) Uno-X Mobility, 87 points
  4. Jasper Philipsen (Bel) Alpecin-Deceuninck, 78 points
  5. Kevin Vauquelin (Fra) Arkea-B&B Hotels, 60 points
  6. Bryan Coquard (Fra) Cofidis, 58 points
  7. Fernando Gaviria (Col) Movistar Team, 53 points
  8. Mark Cavendish (GB) Astana Qazaqstan Team, 50 points
  9. Tadej Pogačar (Slo) UAE Team Emirates, 42 points
  10. Arnaud de Lie (Bel) Lotto Dstny, 38 points

<<>>

Stage 5 resulted in no top positional or time changes to the KOM or Youth Classifications.

12 Likes

Outstanding Cav, and not just his, er, codpiece! :laughing:

2 Likes

News update on the Mads Pedersen crash into barrier.

Some chaos further back during the sprint finish, Mads Pedersen ended up into the barrier and when down Axel Zingle (Cofidis) quick reactions managed to skilfully bunny hop over him (at 65km/h) to avoid further carnage.

Mads finished the stage at 127th position, went to hospital for x-rays, no fractures but had a hard bash on his shoulder, just need to hope he is okay to start tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

12 Likes

That outcome sounds much better than it looked live. The bravery of pro cyclists astounds me. That’s a crash at 40mph in old money. As a trundler myself it’s pretty clear there’s no way to fall off a bike that doesn’t hurt.

3 Likes

Thursday 4th July 2014

Stage 6 : MĂącon - Dijon (163.5km)

The Green Jersey Classification has taken a very exciting upturn, Biniam Girmay, the first black African to win a TdF stage, and also is (presumably?) the first black African to wear a Classification jersey - history in the making duo perhaps overshadowed yesterday by Cav’s brilliant record breaker 35th win.

Meanwhile; Jasper Philipsen has been making steady upward progress to 4th place.

Jonas Philipsen who has been wearing the Green Jersey since stage 2 is probably a done deal for Points but will continue to defend the Polka Dot jersey that he also leads.

Mads Pedersen has the potential to win Green in Nice (almost said Paris then) but yesterday’s crash may have taken it’s toll, we will need to wait and see.

There are other protagonists too that are honing in on form and they know the points are there for the taking. But whoever does wear the Green Jersey will need to take it all the way to the final stage in Nice, and the 3rd week of this tour will be hell for them :smiling_imp:

8 Likes

Ten years ago today. Had a lasting impact hereabouts. A day I will always remember for the carnival atmosphere, and so many people embracing a sport they generally knew nothing about.

BBC News - ‘So many people had smiles on their faces’

8 Likes

I remember that crowds were huge, damn nice jester on behalf French committee.

1 Like

I’m always proud of myself when I skill fully avoid a pothole with bunny hop but to do it as an instinct and jump over fallen rider and bike in the way, I would be on the deck. Cav said in his book that most club riders would be on the deck in the neutralised zone.

I always say the sprinters and GC contenders need to be of Formula 1 standard in terms of bike handling skills.

Great write up by William Fotheringham on Cav. See the pic to see how much smaller and lower Cav gets than the rest.

6 Likes

Stage 6 : MĂącon - Dijon (163.5km)

:green_square: Points to be gained in the Points Classification today.

Cormatin at 31.1 km 20,17,15,13,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
Points at Dijon/finish 50,30,20,18,16,14,12,10,8,7,6,5,4,3,2

Final 4km

1. Biniam Girmay (Eri) Intermarché-Wanty, 102 points
  2. Mads Pedersen (Den) Lidl-Trek, 94 points
  3. Jonas Abrahamsen (Nor) Uno-X Mobility, 87 points
  4. Jasper Philipsen (Bel) Alpecin-Deceuninck, 78 points
  5. Kevin Vauquelin (Fra) Arkea-B&B Hotels, 60 points
  6. Bryan Coquard (Fra) Cofidis, 58 points
  7. Fernando Gaviria (Col) Movistar Team, 53 points
  8. Mark Cavendish (GB) Astana Qazaqstan Team, 50 points

<<>>

One jersey wearer change and one swop for today:

:yellow_square: Tadej Pogačar :slovenia: UAE Team Emirates
:green_square: Biniam Girmay :eritrea: Intermarché-Wanty
:red_circle: Jonas Abrahamsen :norway: Uno-X Mobility
:white_large_square: Remco Evenepoel :belgium: Soudal Quick-Step

174 riders on today’s start line

Stage 6 is underway!

:fr:

9 Likes

“We can confirm that Mads Pedersen will start stage 6 today,” read a message from Lidl-Trek’s press team at 10:26 CEST, three hours before the scheduled start in Mñcon.

Pedersen also posted early on his social media this morning that “Icebaths are my best friend these days” as he continued his recovery to ensure a start was possible.

5 Likes

This is how it was reported on local radio in his home country. The simple final sentence us typical Cav:

Manx Missile takes his 35th stage victory!

Mark Cavendish has become the all-time greatest stage winner at the Tour de France.

The ‘Manx Missile’ has earned an unprecedented 35th stage victory during stage five of the 2024 event this afternoon (3 July).

It surpasses the previous record of 34 which Cavendish had jointly held with cycling legend Eddie Merckx.

Making up the podium of today’s phase was Alpecin-Deceuninck rider Jasper Philipsen in second with Uno-X Mobility’s Alexander Kristoff in third.

Speaking to ITV afterwards Sir Mark said it means a lot

6 Likes

Weird ‘race’ today
Expecting a big finish

1 Like

Watched the replay last night and the miricle occurred
 How he worked (pin balled) his way through the cluster of riders in the sprint to pour on the power and win the stage was unbelievable!

Just loved the result and do hope he can add another victory before the end of the tour! One happy man and happy family

I’ll catch the replay of stage 6 later today

Yahoo
 Life is Sweet!

8 Likes