Transit Bolts for original CDS

As the title says I am looking for Transit Bolts (or information about the length and thread size) for an original CDS so that it can be transported safely.

here is a photo of the drive

Is it possible to get a manual for this early model?
FF

Have a look on the Tom Tom audio website, under the Naim spares section.

If it’s not on there then @NeilS should be able to advise.

No, for this model it is not on ToTom’s site. Fingers crossed for NeilS

FF

They are captive on the cds (i.e. you cant remove them). In that photo I think I can see both screws are fitted and just need tightening up. You need a small allen key to secure the two on the platter, then there are two more under the unit.

The CDS came with the required (fancy) allen key and a plastic retainer for the plastic CD cover.

2 Likes

Should be around on the internet. I have a pdf if you get stuck.

Naim should be able to supply a pdf of the user manual.

haydj is correct - all of the transit bolts are captive - two in the tray (pictured) & three underneath accessed through holes in the outer cover.
Tray ones wind in to lock (clockwise) & ones underneath wide out to lock (anticlockwise). Avoid overtightening them.

Regards
Neil.

2 Likes

Its years since i have turned mine over so didnt realise there were three underneath. For some reason i thought it was two !

2 Likes

The manual (pdf) I have shows only two on the bottom face, but there is a caveat “from serial 146541 onwards”. Perhaps earlier ones had three?

Hi Neil,

Is it possible to send me a pdf of the manual?

Richard Dane has my e-mail address

Did you look on line?

…a search found the following. I only saw the transit bolts listed for one of the players.

Thats the wrong manual

If you search online for “Naim CDS manual” one of the links is to a site called manualslib com. They have a cds manual

Thanks for the information but the CDS manual that is listed covers most Naim CD but not the original CDS. The must be a copy somewhere?

FF

Hi Frank

I have a pdf of the original manual - you can download here:

CDS Manual

I’m not sure if this type of link is allowed. If not, then I’m happy to email it to you if Richard can give me your email address.

Best
Sam

2 Likes

Thanks Sam

Apparently it was a bit more complex than you or I supposed. FWIW, I think the result was that Darran at Class A carries the pdfs of some of the old manuals, albeit not for the CDS.

As an aside, I note that the original CDS manual is an elusive one - after a search though my digital files I find that even I don’t have a copy in pdf, only the slightly later one where the CDS is included, but it’s actually a CDSII. If anyone on here has an original CDS manual scan, please let me know by flagging up this post and messaging me. Thanks.

1 Like

The Dropbox link from SamS works and the manual can be downloaded.

Strangely enough I have a second CDS Serial Number 84838 but it appears to have a CDsII drive so Richard’s comment on the slightly later manual might be relevant. I have a spare CDS drive and wonder it it could be used on my second player? would need the correct top plate though

FF

1 Like

Normally it likely wouldn’t, but I’m happy to make an exception here to help out the community. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hi Frank - it sounds like your second player was involved in the CDS update program that ran for a while. The entire chassis was replaced with a CDS2 version, the original cover & serial number were retained & a special Burndy cable was supplied to allow use with the CDPS.
So to answer your question, the original CDM4 swing arm mechanism cannot be used in that machine.

Regards
Neil.

3 Likes