Trying out ADOT fibre and Network Acoustics ENO

Just to throw a wrench in,Nordost announced a new QNET switch.Built from the ground up,best switch to hit the market,period.(according to them).:slight_smile:

The Nordost QNET will provide a data transfer rate of 1 Gbps (1000BASE-T standard). Three out of five ports support it with auto-negotiation. The remaining two operate in the 100BASE-TX standard, at a speed of 100 Mbps, and internal noise cancellation is possible for them

Oh yeah, and : Nordost Ethernet cables are preferred
Coming this spring :face_with_monocle:

Interesting design aesthetic :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Jason,

As previously posted, I own a 10Gtek media converter which looks very much like the ADOT. Mine has exactly the same port, power and LED layout.

Their model G0101-MSFP(Kit#1)(UL), with 4 dip switches, allows you to choose Fast Ethernet instead of Gigabit. $32 from Amazon.

Further, because these units can use SFT+ modules, some enthusiasts are spending $100 each on “audiophile” transceivers such as Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL and single mode fiber instead of the default (and cheap) Gigabit multimode we have.

EtherREGEN also accepts SFT+, including the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL.

How does it compares to the Adot?
Have you tried to link the 2 Cisco with fiber optical, using Cisco SFP modules? Instead of Adot.

I haven’t tried the ADOT, whose main claimed benefit seems to be less processing because of a slower fiber connection along with the galvanic isolation. My 10Gtek version did not sound as good into EtherREGEN as an optical link from the Cisco 2960 even though I used a very good 5v supply.

Maybe Finisar SFP+ modules in both the 10Gtek and ER (using single mode) really gives an audible improvement. Quoting from AfterDark in audiophilestyle:
“ * FTLX1475D3BTL → Industrial Grade ($$$) This model is in highest specification with better quality on laser components and better build with various tests. The result is ultra low latency on signal transfer for Audio. Image is more refined and details.

1 Like

I just realised that the ENO costs 1k. For that amount of money, anyone having already an Etheregen should try also a high quality linear ps with it, before rushing at the ENO.
I don’t know how both compare, but I know that adding a high quality lps to the ER was a dramatic improvement in my case.

1 Like

I’ve done both. While replacing the ER switch mode supply helped, it didn’t compare to the very noticeable improvement in realistic imaging with the ENO Ag system. Apples and oranges…

Just noticing that the linear ps is a Zero Zone. Not sure it can rivalise with a Sean Jacob or Uptone JS2.

-Or the well-regarded Farad Super3 either; but none of those were sent to me at no charge like the ZZ…

1 Like

Hi MeridianDevo

Yes it looks a similar sort of unit. I haven’t tried different SFP’s and probably won’t go down that rabbit hole, but it’s interesting to read that some are finding differences there. Just happy enough to fit and forget for the moment. Agree with your comments about the ENO, it really is quite an effective device.

Hello again, FR

I have now abandoned ZZ in favor of the stock ER 7.5v ps using a Tributaries Series 8 cord plugged into Shunyata Triton v3 conditioner. You were right.

1 Like

Hi MD,

Thanks, an interesting read, but as per usual, lots of firm opinion and speculation, but none of which is based on actual listening experience or comparison, so doesn’t really say very much!

OK, Jason, my unceasing search for new thrills has taken me down the SFP rabbit hole:

I had already isolated Roon endpoints from all of the other devices in my home with an inexpensive multimode fiber network segment, using $9 transceivers from fs.com, between the main Ubiquiti router and an EtherREGEN switch.

Now I’ve got Finisar 10Gbps SFP+ modules, which work perfectly fine in gigabit SFP cages, and 10 meters of singlemode fiber tightening up the clarity into EtherREGEN.

It’s been two weeks of :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:expectation bias​:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: still convincing me that this is the best music reproduction I’ve heard at home so far. I am grateful that my speakers are able to make use of an even cleaner digital stream!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Signals held an all things Melco afternoon which included a session with the ADOT fibre system. Alan Ainslie gave an excellent description of how the system works keeping the data stream clean……still too complicated for me to re-explain.
We started off listening to the difference between the Melco s100 switch and the new 2 box s10 switch fed by a Melco server. The latter gave a cleaner more detailed but natural sound, though one would hope so for £5k. Interesting the s100 i tried at home and really disliked…….but sounded OK in-this demo?
They then went on to try the ADOT fibre in the system with a final ethernet connection to a nd555/552/500 dynaudio confidence 60 speakers. There are a number of levels of power supply that can be used, from wall wart smps, lps wall wart and a Plixir stand alone psu.
Although with the first 2 power supplies you can hear the noisefloor drop and improved natural like sound, it was a bit marginal imo. One of the latest developments with ADOT is going from multimode to single core fibre. This was also demoed and uses the existing modules with a relatively cheap change od fibre optic cable……well worth a try. It was nice to meet up with @NigelB after a long while at this event. Sitting next to me at the time as soon as the Plixir psu was added we both looked at each other…….it really transformed the sound quality. The sound really opened up with more detail, body and depth, but still very musical which important to me…….sometimes i find extra detail can come with a clinical sterility.
For me well worth a home demo and i have one booked for next week. Depending on if you need one fibre module or two and type of psu, it can cost a few hundred to-over a grand.
It was also good to see that now rare forumite Tony Miller @Tonym at the Signals bash, turning up in a rather lovely Lexus LC500 sports car……5.0l V8……first time i had seen one, rather taken with it.

4 Likes

Gazza, it was great to meet up with you after such a long time.

Are you planning to demo the ADOT with two ADOT modules, or one ADOT module and use the SFP socket on your EtherRegen? Additionally, are you demoing the single core or multimode, assuming the single is ready for public consumption?

I will try both modules and also the etherregen which would be the cheaper option, if it sounds as good, or maybe better? The single mode is available now so trying that cable.

1 Like

Thanks for the report Gazza – I was reading the Signals blog last night (no updated info as yet on the ADOT website). I’ll be interested in what you find when you borrow one.

I still have the ADOT MC-01 in my setup between my trusty Cisco 2960 and PhoenixNET. I was hoping I could just go fibre straight into the KDSM as it has this option and if it was better then I could have moved the PhoenixNET on.

Having spent a fair bit of time trying out different combinations for a few days at a time with both the Cisco 2960 and MC-01 used as the media converter, I still prefer copper, albeit from the PhoenixNET via a bog standard CAT6 cable from Farnell.

My MC-01 is powered via an Uptone LPS 1.2.