Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Stephen, your enthusiasm is infectious - thanks for infecting me.
Just opened another bottle of red & loaded some smooth grove funk jazz to take us into the wee small hours, bugger that’s another favourite Sinatra to look up. Thanks.

3 Likes

Even more excited for the imminent arrival of the NDX2, currently stranded in Australia enroute to New Zealand.

3 Likes

some wonderful days will arrive so!

2 Likes

Wow, what a journey Stephen. I am absolutely delighted for you that you got there in the end. I remember a few months back when you were agonising over whether to get the ND5 XS 2, and am glad you are delighted with the final result. The ND5 XS 2 probably offers the best value for money of the new streamers.

But it just shouldn’t be so challenging and many of us have limited technical knowledge. In fact I have just been banging on on another thread about how manufacturers and dealers should be doing more to help those to migrate from CD to streaming . You were fortunate to call on the help of the forum, HH (what a lovely chap he is) and Richard. Others, without such support, might have launched their new streamer out of the nearest window.

It is at times like this that this forum shows its true value! What a great bunch!

Anyway, keep learning and, most importantly, enjoy the music.

All the best.

N

5 Likes

Yes absolutely Nigel. A force to be reckoned with for sure. I can’t thank everyone here enough!

I just wanted to say that my dealer did offer to help me many, many times if I ran into any difficulties (I told them that I could it myself and after that my pride sort of set in). It was the stubborn little old me that underestimated this process. I wanted to learn the hard way and do it myself and that made my journey more difficult than it should of been. I think it is a little unfair to say that there isn’t enough dealer support out there, well at least it certainly wasn’t in my case. Newcomers to streaming please not be put off from my difficult experiences here, have your dealer involved at all times is my advice, that’s what they’re there for.

Anyway, back to the music.

Chaos reins within.
Reflect, repent and reboot.
Order shall return.

2 Likes

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Streaming is like that.

1 Like

If broken it is,
then fix it you should.
Hmm?
(Yoda)

4 Likes

I have to say i’m a little worried with the weight of the Hi-Line putting stress on the very bendy socket on my ND5 XS 2. All seems & sounds ok but i’m a little concerned nevertheless. It’s like the socket is almost touching the chassis casing, there is that much bend at play. I would think that this would almost negate the decoupling intended if it were to eventually touch? or am I getting myself at it?:flushed:

Can other ND5 XS 2 owners here confirm that this is normal please?
Many thanks.

Other than my slight concern (see above) the sound is second to none. Really clean and sharp, the definition is superb and the amount of detail coming through is best I’ve ever had. I’m listening to - Your Queen Is A reptile - Sons Of Kemet. The percussion quality is amazing!!

1 Like

some will reply, with their own experience of the hiline. But i remember some problems like this for the hiline, in the old forum.
Perhaps a dealer can fix it?

Hi FR,
It’s not broken or anything like that, I have been so careful. I’m just a little concerned that’s all. I’m not used to this design and am after some confirmation from others that this is normal and nothing to worry about. Obviously with the stock cable it isn’t an issue. Thanks

1 Like

WOW! :laughing:

perhaps you will like Ill Considered. Fabulous rythms and lot of percussions and drums.

1 Like

That’s great FR. i’ll certainly check those. Thanks!

1 Like

Exactly, that’s it, wobble, I even inserted a fairly large Nordost socket! Better never touch it!

Stephen, make sure you have only connected holding the metal body section of the PL. Also, once you hit the first resistance you need to push harder to open up the jaws fully onto the pins of the socket. The jaws inside the PL are as tight as regs allow - this ensures the best contact. As you push fully home, the rear section of the PL should push out and back.

Stephen, I wouldn’t assume the natural partner is an XS range amp… it is a suitable partner, but so are the classic series amps. I think the ND5XS2 into a 282/250 or 300 would sound gorgeous. The ND5XS2 hits well above it’s weight. Naim deliberately focussed on SQ over usability and aesthetics in the budget envelope so I was informed, in contrast to its predecessor , which is why in SQ terms in can work well into more capable systems.

2 Likes