Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Beautiful. A classic, do you have it in the Nas or ripped from a CD?

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™d be surprised if there was a significant difference, but you never know. Put it this wayā€¦if youā€™re thinking of buying a Nordost Valhalla USB cable for Ā£3,000, make sure you get a long home demo first :open_mouth:

1 Like

Silly question: but can the ND5 xs2 be powered by another naim box at the right price?
Can the same power box also power a future XS3 Amplifier?

No. You can only use itā€™s built-in power supply. And it cannot power anything else.
Best
David

I can imagine this would be part of the appeal if I were in the market for this kind of streamer box. One box. Bam!!

Chris

1 Like

I think the ND5 XS 2 is good enough as is, in no way do I ever feel that itā€™s lacking any upgrade potential. However, iā€™m warming to the idea of adding a HiCap DR to my XS2 amplifierā€¦

5 Likes

HC-DR makes sense to me because you keep your set in the XS family, just max it out.

C.

1 Like

Yup Chris, I agree. I have already maxed out my ND5 XS 2 with a Hi-Line cable and this leaves adding a HiCap DR to my amplifier as the next best move. All that will be left to do from then on is a Fraim Lite or two (all in black) and PowerLines. A wholly digital integrated XS2 series system pimped up to the hilt!

1 Like

Donā€™t forget the Allaes for that Naim ā€˜slamā€™ , but basically, I agree, you are there!

2 Likes

Stephen, even to me once I added the XS3 I would like to add a separate and dedicated feed of more quality but I like the FLATCAP XS more dedicated to the XS series (excellent line and design) and also costing around 600 ā‚¬ in less than your mentioned above!

1 Like

Hi Andrea,

I reckon I could get a keen price on a ex-demo HiCap DR, itā€™s the DR bit that is appealing to me and Iā€™ve read from many XS 2 owners (elsewhere) that it makes for a very positive upgrade indeed. Remember the pre-amp in the XS 2 amplifier is basically the same as that of the SN2 where the HiCap DR makes for a solid upgrade in that amplifier too. The Hicap to me makes more sense.

Ok, I didnā€™t know, but I want to save a little money ā€¦ Otherwise, I get hunted from home ā€¦

1 Like

One thing at a time. Get your XS3 first, thereā€™s no rush for anything here. Iā€™m thinking my PSU upgrade will come well into next year. As is usual, my children will clean me out this Christmas, so no chance for me doing anything just yet. I just have plan and now know where I want to be, it will take time to achieve my goal as iā€™m not exactly rich myself. :joy:

1 Like

Stephen, i think, because i had it in the past, that the hicap will give you a more refined sound, nicer, more open too. But no more drive.
You speak often of the lack of drive you had in the past but not now.
So i feel the SN2 is more to go than a hicap on xs2 for you.
Just my feeling.

1 Like

Thanks FR for your post.
Obviously I will be discussing things further with my very trust worthy dealer before I hand over any cash. Iā€™m very happy with my XS 2 amplifier now not least because everything has now started to fully settle in. As you know, I have upgraded my main Ethernet cable from Cinnamon to the vodka one, this made for a big improvement, a bigger sound to be had all round. Also I bought some brand new 8 meter lengths of NAC A5 all with expertly soldered & correct plugs. As any Naim speaker cable veteran will tell you, this stuff takes ages to run in, iā€™m talking months here, but once run in, boy are you in for a rush! Which brings me to where I am now! I canā€™t afford a SN3, itā€™s way out of my league. As for a SN2? maybe but right now iā€™m becoming more and more happy with what I already have. I may just max this out instead and itā€™s easier on my pocket too.

i said that because itā€™s the same money, from xs2 to sn2 or adding hicap.

1 Like

I hear ya. Many thanks.

1 Like

This is right, more refinement. But if your speakers need more drive, you need to up the current with a higher level amp.

2 Likes

perhaps his speakers, Neat motive, are not the most punchy also. I donā€™t know. But they will disappear more and express more with a SN2 probably. Probablyā€¦but better verify.

1 Like

Yes that maybe true. My Neat Motive SX2 are for small rooms. It will be hard letting go of the Neatā€™s musicality though, they put a smile on oneā€™s face, theyā€™re very cheeky indeed. They just need lots of current to get them to really sing. However, when streaming anything by Yello then I get the sound iā€™m after.

2 Likes