Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

The ND5 XS 2 is best Naim component of ALL time man. This thing breathes you into a whole new existence. it’s that simple!:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Blimey!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well…for me it is. It’s a Stone Cold Classic.

Have you tried one in your system Christopher?

No, from what I’ve read, I couldn’t bear the grief. But I do have a pair of Allaes that I love with my XS set (Hint) :-)))

1 Like

I’m going to find it very hard to give up my Motive SX2’s…considering my listening environment, which is small/medium. I think Naim speakers will sound too much here. Too big…

Yup, keep telling yourself that! Then buy a pair of Allaes and find you were wrong!!

PS. Which finish are you looking for?

1 Like

We have Virgin and use the hub in modem mode. The hub connects to the wall with a coax lead supplied by Virgin. It then connects to the AirPort Express, which we use as our router, with a Blue Jeans Cat 6A. I imagine our BJ is fulfilling the same role as your new RJ11 cable. Maybe BJ make a Cat 6A RJ11…

I’m flattered, but Chateau Christophe is bijou yet somewhat compact :wink:

1 Like

Hi @Stephen_Tate, great to see such enthusiasm for music and your system!

I have used motive 2s for 8 years or so then SX1s for the past 3 years, so very used to the Neat sound.

A very expensive option but I am now on kudos Titan 606 speakers in a smallish space - wow, What a great improvement!

I thought you were lining up a NDX2 and SN3 man? You’re all over the place :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

[quote=“hungryhalibut, post:1589, topic:1656”]
Maybe BJ make a Cat 6A RJ11…
[/quote] I will look into this as I think it makes a difference. I don’t really watch TV so I don’t bother with Virgin or Sky. Oh, hang on…Masterchef Professionals is on, the only piece of tv I watch all year. Even the Naim goes on a pause with this one. Oh the irony.

1 Like

We don’t watch anything other than the standard free to air channels, but it’s cheaper to have the TV than the phone and broadband alone.

@Bjm tell us more about the Titan 606’s. Hard to come by here in the States but I keep hearing good things about the Titan 505’s and 606’s. What are you driving them with?

Hi @marcusman, I am driving them with NDX2 and SN3. Listening in a small space means that they have to perform close to a rear wall without booming.

They are quite a detailed speaker but never sound harsh and are not as analytical as some others. the treble is excellent and seamlessly integrated with the mid range.

The Isobaric loading of the bass units and small port exiting at the bottom against the fixed distance to the base men’s that the bass response is nice and deep but not at all boomy. I always describe it as my Neats giving nice bass sounds but the kudos give great bass notes.

On first listen, some could say that they sound a little bass light but that is only because you probably have been used to speakers with bass bloom that masks midrange detail.

It took a bit to get used to the fact that the speakers cost more than the NDX2 and SN3 combined but they are so worth it. With higher grade classic series (250, 300 or indeed ND555 and 500) I imagine that they would sound incredible.

Thanks for the info @Bjm. I’m leaning towards the 505’s but I need to fly 2000 miles to hear them. No easy task as you can imagine. Good to know that the 606’s work with NDX2/SN3 combo.

Also worth considering that you have to factor in the cost of good stands for the 505s which will then take up the same footprint as the 606s but stand a bit taller and be more fussy about placement due to the different port arrangement.

2000 miles is a big distance, I would not be able to state categorically that it would be worth the trip for you but being so impressed with them, I would travel double that ensure that I got them in my system!

Obvious caveat is that this is my opinion, based on my system, in my room with my ears etc.

1 Like

Hey Stephen, my rj 11 are like that . It’s connecting the router from the phone.
Have you changed that?

Yes that’s the one. My old one is a flat type bog standard telephone cable and my new one Is round in construction. I needed a longer cable so took a punt on the River. Quite pleased I am.

1 Like

A RJ11 Cat 5e is floating down the river and will be with me tomorrow. Then we will see who around here is mad. If it is rubbish, I have only wasted £7.

1 Like

You will have not wasted £7. For me this has been transformational. I can hear so much more music, I can’t believe it. All I have done is change the telephone cable. How is this even possible?

Anyway, I don’t care. I have never heard Miles Davis sound this good, hell I don’t even listen to Miles Davis normally but I seem to be rummaging through music I would never give the time for. Something is happening, that’s for sure.

Fantastic stuff.