Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

OK…but wifi is typically notorious for instability for several reasons; quality of ISP modem/router or aftermarket router, selected emission channel, interference from neighbors, competing 2.4 and 5 ghz signal overlap, limited bandwidth based on number of devices connected wirelessly, home infrastructure factors, distance from the signal source, fluctuating bandwidth provision from the ISP, etc.

Conversely, a fixed wired installation provides a reliable and packet-corrected data flow that suffers only occasional or very rare conditions of instability.

If both methods can sound very similar after interpretation by the streaming devices, the gain in reliability and stable data flow with a wired connection has
convinced me to prefer this method simply for peace of mind and stability.

My experience therefore differs from yours which obviously doesn’t mean that you haven’t noticed an improvement with your system by using wifi.

3 Likes

I’d keep all the Ethernet kit for now Stephen.

Just in case…

6 Likes

Apart if Stephen considers noise as additional music…

Normally, less you have noise, more you have music. Noise is hiding music.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
Many thanks for the tip. They may just be out of price range but that is not to say I wouldn’t consider them if they were ex-demo or well loved 2nd hand. Also thought about PMC Twenty5.23 but they are at the limit for height. I’ll need to find a dealer and go for a listen but as mentioned before the Neats are playing pretty well just now.

Hi igahman,
I wouldn’t say that the Neats are out of favour - I bought them to go with a Super Uniti and kept them when I upgraded that to a Nova. They performed really well with both Unitis. I am now approaching that time where I wanted to buy the final setup and based on room layout was looking to go for a 2 box system that was balanced. Based on what I read on various reviews and also tips etc from the good folk here on this forum I concluded that something like a NDX2 into SN3 into PMC Twenty5.23 sounded like something to target. I then went to my dealer who set up the demo as per my earlier post. Note he didn’t stock PMC but did have ATC. Based on that demo, my limit of 2 boxes, just how well the ND5XS2 performed compared to the NDX2 I settled on the ND5SX2 into the SN3 with the expectation that I would change the speakers soon. The surprise for me was the sound that I heard when the boxes were connected at home to the Neats. They really did sound very good, much better than I was expecting. Maybe just the room, speaker location or where the furniture is located but to me it sounds good, I may even stop at this point. That said the SN3 will allow me to potentially change speakers to something that demands a slightly better amp but right now that is not a definite yes.

2 Likes

Thanks Orac.
I can tell you that when I had my demo of my cd5si and later the Nait amp the dealer was using pmc twenty 5.23 They sounded terrific. However the cost is more than I want to pay. I am looking for something in the price region of the sx2 and hoping they are a genuine upgrade on my current speakers which are spendor s3 stand mounts but of course they may be more of a side move. At the moment I am having difficulty deciding on whether to replace the speakers first or get the nd5xs2 first. It’s possible that I may have to reassess how much I am prepared to pay for the speaker upgrade

Ah - another mention of the Twenty5.23…Must get a demo.
With regard to your decision only advice I can give would be to do the demos. Some might say source first, but all I can say is that in my humble opinion both perform very well; as to which is best I couldn’t say. Others may chip in with other thoughts

Just a thought, and not sure if you looked at ProAC, I ran a pair of D2’s with my ND5 XS & SN2 and loved it. They also have the Tablette 10.

Good luck with your search and also congratulations on your ND5 XS2 and SN3!

2 Likes

Mine does the same. Don’t think it’s an issue tho.

1 Like

Depends on the speakers and room! But certainly analytical headphones are easier to find and install (and far cheaper) than equivalent quality speakers and well behaved room.

2 Likes

No, I meant to say that i can hear more (find it easier) what’s going on through my headphones than I can through my speakers and whatever changes I hear through my headphones is often reflected through my speakers as well. Nothing more to read into it than that really.

Funny, mine’s stopped doing it (clunk), and is all quiet again now. Not even a click. :thinking:

It doesn’t seem to effect the sound quality either way so I’m not really that concerned about it, but if only a little puzzled as to why it sometimes ‘clunks’ and sometimes it doesn’t.

I think it’s safe to say that this issue has not defected me from my enjoyment in any way from ND5 XS 2.
It’s by far the finest Naim piece I have purchased to date.

4 Likes

What, even more than the active Credos?!! :smiley: :sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Haha Chris, my middle son, who has become one of the youngest audiophiles I know, over three years of Christmas presents, has now accumulated my old CD5i (serviced with new mech) >> NAIT 5Si >> Credos. He is convinced that his system sounds better than mine and who am I to argue with him? It’s really funny seeing him tweaking around trying to get the best from his system. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Lucky lad, pleased to hear it!

3 Likes

Yes, he is a very lucky lad indeed. My ‘mint’ NAIT 5Si which I gave to him at Christmas along with some 20 year old NAC A5 and brand new SA8s soldered properly at both ends has completely blown him away! He can’t believe how good his system now sounds! :rofl:

2 Likes

I think I may be your other long lost son. Can I have your sx2 s next Christmas

4 Likes

Bump: I’m getting withdrawal symptoms :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve gone tee-total and am now wireless. I am finding with a wired connection into a switch(s) (which must be adding it’s own flavour to the sound) there is too much bass and it slows and smooths the music as a whole. Yes the wireless connection is rougher around the edges but there is more mid-range and speed coming through along with a tighter bass which makes for a more compelling listen. The Cisco switches along with the Ethernet cables are taking the Naim flavour away imho. It’s like adding corn flour to a homemade soup. It simply kills it as well as thickens it.