Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

I don’t think so Stephen1. But if you prefer wireless sound, it’s the most important. Can you ask Stephen2 to respond ?

1 Like

Oh i do which is why is I have gone quiet of late. It’s like listening to my old olive system all over again, the sound I prefer.

2 Likes

Perhaps I should chop in my XS 2 for a XS 3 for even more speed and harmonic distortion?

But if you do that, don’t keep both at home. If not we will have « xs2 in , xs3 out, xs3 in, xs2 out, in, out, in, out, and shake it all about «
:star_struck:

2 Likes

I’m fairly new to Naim but the xs3 does have an excellent phono stage which does seem to be progress

2 Likes

Stephen doesn’t need it. Or perhaps he should try a good rega with it. The nd5xs2 would return in the box :package: :partying_face:

1 Like

I’m thinking that maybe the NAIT XS2 doesn’t have quite the verve and zest that I like and maybe a NAIT XS3 does? Also the added phono stage is another great feature should one choose to start listening to vinyl again…

I am at 10 weeks now with my new ND5 XS2. It has nicely settled in and is sounding great! I am using it with a wired ethernet connection and an EtherRegen switch.

2 Likes

I’m not qualified to say if there’s much difference in SQ between the Naits but listening to vinyl is a real treat and many of the new re issues are better than the original releases.

Since having the ND5 XS2 paired with the XS3, Vinyl has barely had a look in tbh.
I’m even considering storing records in the loft and selling my Rega. But agree with @igahman it does sound good through the XS3, just don’t have time.

To be honest, I’m not really that interested in vinyl anymore, I’ve had my days with vinyl. Having a turntable now would be just an over indulgence really. I have purchased a ND5 XS 2 to move away from physical media full stop and here I am. The ND5 XS 2 is a stocking source component and punches well above it’s weight, it’s just that I like a fast, taught and raw sound and maybe feel that my NAIT XS 2 is letting the side down a little. I was ok with my 5si but my son has that now, so…

Mind you, I will never ever get rid of my CD5SI. I almost have it wrapped in a shrine. :rofl:

3 Likes

Is that leaving the door ajar for a new amp possibly…

1 Like

The SN2 is your friend @Stephen_Tate, cheap as chips now too.

2 Likes

Stephen, there is 2 things that are repeated several times since more than one year now: you are often changing your mind on cd5i vs nd5xs2, switch no switch…
But also you are saying very often that your system misses something, that sound you had in the past. This prat and urgency, involvement of your past olive system.
Have you heard a system at a dealer place which gives you what you need? What was that system ? Perhaps you prefer olive sound? Why not try 82/250 olive second hand ?

Well I have heard the ND5 XS 2 & SN3 on a few occasions now and that certainly hit the spot for me, but maybe I should go and listen to the XS3 as well, because that may be enough for my listening environment. I like the XS 2 but I do find it a little soft sounding, especially in the bass department. The newer models address this, certainly the SN3 does from what I’ve heard so far, but i’ve yet to hear a XS3, so you could be right in that I should go visit my dealer and chop in my XS2. Thanks.

2 Likes

Also recall you have or had a loudspeaker dilemma to resolve due to neighbors complaining about the bass…It’s often difficult for us to just settle down with what we have, myself included.

1 Like

Yes, this has been resolved, sort of, by ditching the switches. Still not perfect but a lot more more tolerable than it was. I’m now pointing my finger at the amplifier as it wasn’t ever a problem with my NAIT 5Si.

1 Like

Ditto, even I’m sorry to get rid of the 5si. Maybe it’s better that I turn to SN3 instead of xs3.

I’m ruddy exhausted just reading about your plight.Good look.

2 Likes