Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Stephen. You could try listening to Bach instead of Misty In Roots.

1 Like

A good system should be equally happy with both. The Art of Fugue on organ has deeper bass that Misty could ever dream of.

2 Likes

Sorry it was just a stab at humour. Room for both genres of music on any system.

Stephen - take a look at some of the PMC floor standers when you do start auditioning. Motives just wouldnā€™t work in our lounge when we moved (quite a while ago now) and PMCā€™s with their front facing TL exit worked very well.

James

4 Likes

Hello James. Which pmc are you using. I had a demo of the 25/23 and they sounded brilliant but I thought they vented down through the plinth which is useful for positioning close to walls.

The 25/23 has a front opening for the transmission line, as James mentioned. There is no downward facing port.

You can see the transmission line vents at the front of this picture.

3 Likes

The Art of Fugue via PMC 25:26 can vaibrate the sash windows 2 rooms away even at normal levels in the listening room. Just about as good as the Usher Hall Organ here in Edinburgh music you feel as well as listen to.

1 Like

Thanks for that information HH . I stand corrected. I thought they were similar to the sx2. They certainly are a stunning speaker but perhaps not as room tolerant as I thought. Home demo essential Iā€™m thinking

I think they are very room tolerant. Iā€™ve tried a few reflex speakers - Neat Motive 1, Spendor A5, Naim Allae and none have worked here. But PMC GB1i and 20.23 were both excellent. The front opening means they can go pretty close to the back wall. They are super speakers.

1 Like

Can you give me a suggestion as to what artist/recording to listen to Fugue? Tidal is where I would give it a go. Complete classical newbie.

Here you go. This is a classic. The Fugue is a wonderful piece of music and there are countless interpretations including piano and string quartet. The organ is where it all started. This recording was recommended to me by George, a former Forum member and great lover of Bach.

2 Likes

Takes me back to steam organs on the sea front at Llandudno in the early 60ā€™s, ah, childhood so long ago!

Thanks for all your here suggestions folks.
I agree in that the downward firing port from my Motives may be causing me problems in the bass department. I hadnā€™t thought about PMC 25.23 and seems a good suggestion from James, maybe because I thought my amplifier isnā€™t quite up to them? I donā€™t really know, I will certainly mention them to my dealer as they stock plenty of PMC speakers.

Iā€™m still toying with the idea of stand=mounts. Now if I can find some that sound like the Motives with a touch more detail and a less fruity bass, that wold be great.

Hi DanielH,

Thanks for your suggestion here but I have already tried those on my speakers. Sadly I could not find good results using them on my speakers. My speakers sit on a carpet with underlay so they were really unstable. The problem I have here (as others have mentioned) is the downward firing pots firing straight into the floor. Iā€™ve toyed with the idea of using slabs under my speakers but SWMBO has strictly said ā€œnoā€.

I even tried ISO Gaiasā€™ with socks in the ports as well and although it did dramatically tame the bass i found that all the music went with it also, so for me a total disaster.

Iā€™m still adamant that stand-mounts are going to work a lot better in my room than floorstanders.

Itā€™s really annoying as I this is the first time I have ever had issues with speakers and Iā€™ve used many, many different listening environments in the past.

Hi Stephen,
As mentioned earlier I have recently acquired a pair of Twenty5.23 and although they are still new I am very happy with the sound. If you are considering standmounts perhaps the Twenty5.22 would fit. Sounds like your dealer is a stockist so it may be worthwhile adding them to the list of contenders to audition.

1 Like

Or even Twenty5.21, the smaller the betterā€¦

How is your ND5 XS 2 settling in now? I bet youā€™re loving it! :sunglasses:

I have had another go with one Cisco PD switch with BJC 6a cables and yes my whole system does sound rather sweet but I still keep on reverting back to going wireless. Itā€™s more convenient, flexible, just as quick, tidier, works flawlessly and sounds fantastic.

3 Likes

Hi Stephen,
Yes, Twenty5.21 are also worth considering.
Many thanks for asking about the ND5XS2, My new boxes/speakers are all coming together. Iā€™m very happy with the sound, it just seems to fit.
Hope you find a good solution and get back to enjoying you music.

2 Likes

Thank you Orac, thatā€™s very kind of you. :slightly_smiling_face: