Trying to get going with a ND5 XS 2

Thank you. That sounds the best advice on me at this time. I shall visit Bristol, hopefully find conversation and hear what is there and conclude afterwards. No rush. Thanks

Thanks for sharing Chris, much appreciated.

My Grado SR325e are truly awesome from my XS2 amp. If only I could replicate this from my speakers? I would very happy if that were the case.

Not at all. Iā€™m hoping you are going to find some speakers to go with your Nait XS2 that are going to give you back the pleasure you once had with your slimline olives and active Credos. My money is on some sealed boxes.

1 Like

Yup, my money is on sealed boxes too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did you ever get to hear some small ATCs with a Nait XS2?

It wonā€™t give you what you are searching for. It will give a bit more opened sound, more refined, more fluent. Not the adrenaline you are looking for.

1 Like

Been following this thread for some time. Having done in store and home demos I settled on the ND5XS2 and SN3. Boxes have now arrived and I am running them in. Whilst I was pleasantly surprised with how my Neat SX2s sounded when connected to the new boxes during the home demo I did an audition at a different dealer with PMC Twenty5.23 which impressed. So the speakers arrive tomorrow and I will continue the burn in process. Also succumbed to a chord epic din-din interconnect. No more upgrades now apart from re-enabling the Qobuz subscription.

6 Likes

Thanks @seakayaker Iā€™ve got the ND5XS2, having explored further, I donā€™t believe thereā€™s any upgrades for that, bar Qobuz upgradeā€¦

Didnt think I could do the HiCap DR, will. Look into this :slight_smile:

1 Like

You canā€™t upgrade the ND5XS2 with a power supply i.e (flatCap or HiCapDR). You can however upgrade the Streamer(ND5XS2) with a Powerline or Hi-Line/SuperLumina interconnect if thatā€™s what you meant to say.

1 Like

There is no PSU upgrade option, but you can upgrade it with an external DAC, and the ND5XS2 makes a very good digital transport when used in this way.

2 Likes

Quick question if I may for those with ND5XS2. Recall some mention of box clicking (relays?) when coming out of standby. My home demo box did not do this but the delivered one does. Any tips before I contact Naim.

I would be guided by Naim on that one, but you might just want to run it past your dealer first. If you are not satisfied with their answer, then go to Naim.

I hope this thread never dies.

2 Likes

Thanks @ChrisSU for the suggestion - would the DAC go DAC - Streamer - Amp or Streamer - DAC - Amp?

Probably a bone question but Iā€™m new to all this!

I meant putting a streamer between the digital output on the ND5 and the input on your amp. Thereā€™s no analogue input on the streamer to add a DAC in front of it.
This was a popular upgrade with the old Naim streamers, and for some of us, with the new models too.

1 Like

Please keep us updated on progress with streamer and I would also like to know how you get on with speaker placement. Pics would be nice

I wouldnā€™t worry. Enjoy your ND5 XS 2! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Chris,
no not as yet.

Iā€™m trying to build up my finances at this moment, things have been tough since Christmas but all is well and the building is under way. I am going to the Bristol Show first of all, then I shall explore with my dealer on some stand mounts. In the mean time, Iā€™m just stabilising. No rush. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™ll tell you what - One Cisco PD 2960 switch (no nutty cascading), all Blue Jeans Cat 6a is no bad thing. It can be hidden and easily disguised. Tidal loads up quicker through the Naim app and the music sounds terrific. In my ā€˜set-upā€™ grand scheme of things, itā€™s tolerable. :slightly_smiling_face:

Stephen, are your speakers still bothering your neighbours with bass? Maybe you can try putting Gaia III footers from Isacoustics under your speakers. I installed some on mine. They isolate the speaker from the floor. Maybe less bass will get through and your neighbours wonā€™t mind as much. They also improve the sound!