TT from Well Tempered Labs?

I use a Nagoaka MP200. I chose pickup prior to arrival of Dynavector phono stage as would likely have chosen one of their cartridges which are often recommended with WTL.

The other cartridge on my shortlist was Soundsmith but not as many testimonials from WTL owners and a bit more money than I wanted to part with at the time.

1 Like

I owned and used a Versalex with both a DV XV1s and Audio Note IO Gold for five years.

It’s a great turntable per £’s. Lovely timbre and lack of grain with good flow. It does have a slightly soft bass which effected the speed of some tracks. Also a rather relaxed presentation but a good all rounder.

2 Likes

Thanks for the interesting point of view on the Versalex model. I’ll think about that when it’s time for a demo. Do you have experience with how Amadeus GTA sounds too?

coincidentally, here’s a relatively new video review of the Amadeus Junior:

1 Like

Yes. It’s definitely an upgrade. I heard it with DVXV1t. If it wasn’t for the Solstice which I have in order I would seriously consider that combo

1 Like

Sounds good. I have been thinking about an Amadeus GTA for my own part. Congratulations on ordering Solstice! A friend of mine ordered his the day before yesterday. One of three that Naim has assigned to Sweden so he’s really happy right now.

1 Like

I have the original WTT Turntable with a Koetsu Rosewood, it has a beautiful airy midrange and sparkly treble top. I had an LP12 prior to this but just fell in love with the master recording style presentation of the WTT.

1 Like

I do not think I have ever seen the original turntable, do you have any pictures you can post?

Look at his profile and then ‘ show us your turntable “.
However the picture is not very clear.
The Well Tempered Reference was something!

1 Like

Thanks rooster😉

1 Like

Hope you can see this Ok

1 Like

Thanks, I can see it clearly. You can add eventually, if you want, a description of your system.

I had the original design WTT. unit in the late 1980s or 1990s along with a Linn, Michell Syncro, and the Roksan all at once. It had a quality i appreciated and by that i don’t mean it was not accurate That viscos fluid which replaces any arm bearings also reduces the need for any suspension or needing to manage resonances.
The Arm on that model with loads of nylon fishing line for every single adjustment and Paddle height and a cartridge mount that went every which way when you tried to set up was not one for swapping cartridges or getting identical results when you swapped back.
Still i had it for some time and looked at it quite seriously it was the Arm fiddle that caused
it to be sold i also detest junction boxes which require you to provide the Correct sounding
Arm cable - what ever that is?
The damping then was a Flat Plate with holes in it these New design Golf Ball arms likely
sound just the same but will be a world away ergonomically. If the cost is Reasonable and
you want to go off grid why not.

Never heard one, but have seen them. I would really not be able to tolerate the aesthetic of damping being delivered by a golf ball sitting in a pot of gloop. This might vary between models though.

I think it was not the case with the original WT Reference. No golf ball. Quite sure.

…ah, so they must have thought the golf ball + gloop was an improvement…must have been a better sound. But just no.

They no longer use the golf ball (not exposed, at least; it’s a ‘half’ one with a metal disc, whereby less than half enters the damping fluid), on the Amadeus and up. The Simplex and Amadeus Jr have the black one. The Symmetrix arm is something else.

I still see the golf ball on the Simplex mk2. And the specs say « arm coupled to a golf ball »

Simplex models, yes (maybe not black).

1 Like

…that’s good, I would suspect that sales will increase!