Turn system off during heatwave?

Yep - everybody trusts the fridge

During a thunderstorm many moons ago I was working on a big metal cased 3 phase fuse box, this was connected to a metal cased isolation switch with conduit & all bonded to earth. The two box’s were aprx 12 inches (30cm) apart. The metal framed & roofed building took a direct hit & an arc ran between the top corners of both box’s !!!
= electrically impossible ?? 100% yes according to all the laws of physics, but it seems lightning hasn’t studied ohms law.
… hair standing on end (literally) I downed tools & took an early break
After the storm was over I ran a mega test on the earth connection & bonding between the two box’s, & had my supervisor confirm it. - it all passed.

1 Like

Try telling my dead Unitiserve that!!

And broadband router…

… already said that :wink:
But looking at radar it looks like a clear sky silent night, great night for an evening in the garden, some jerk chicken kebabs, home grown salad, chilled white followed by cool’ish mellow red (or two) as it gets dark - magic summer evening - t’would be nice to have a bit of a breeze thru’ the bedroom windows

Sorry must be the heat :grinning:

Though nice cool breeze this evening, just need to deter all the insects flying in through the wide open windows.

1 Like

That’s a secret, please don’t tell anybody. It’s for folk who know how to set up Space Optimisation properly and enjoy superb sound quality without compromising domestic harmony. You can do similar with JRiver MC feeding a Naim streamer or Chord DAC, but it’s a bit more difficult as you need to create a convolution file or tune the PEQ.

However, in this weather best to turn it off and watch the cricket instead. Makes me glad I don’t still have that old Croft valve amplifier. Now that really did get hot.

In the middle of a huge electric storm right now. Unplugged everything!

Before I worked from home (i.e. used 24/7 aircon), I’d regularly get home after work and it would be 38C and 100% humidity for literally weeks on end every day. To hot to think, let alone listen to music.

But even so, I used to leave the hifi on back then all day (it wasn’t Naim) and it never developed an issue. Electronics don’t care about the humidity and the temp was never an issue since the amps were idling. By the time I used them, the room had returned to a relatively cool 26C.

More of an issue now is the IDF we have in a utility cupboard. All the network devices are attached directly to the IDF and there is no ventilation in there. I fixed a digital thermometer to the inside and notice it regularly hits 45C in there in summer. And the cheap NTT and Buffalo routers do sometimes just crash on the hottest days.

I’ve earmarked some more heavy duty Yamaha routers rated up to 60C ambient for when we move. They also are known for being very RFI clean compared to others which is a bonus. But then, we will be moving from a humid subtropical climate to snowy tundra so it might not matter in the end.

We had a spectacular light show last night on the Surrey / Hants border. Nature at its best.

1 Like

… humph !!!, one bang to wake me up, 15 minutes of rain & nothing much else apart from distant flashes & rumbles.
And no I didn’t turn it all off, I looked at the weather radar at midnight & saw there was nothing much heading my way .

1 Like

Is it too soon to take your vest off, Dave?

well, we had a bad storm last night and, living as we do so high up, disconnected the system and isolated the router from the phone line.

All seems to be OK this morning as it’s all booted back up fine.

Yep same for me came down at 4:30 am to turn everything off…it turned the thunderstorm off as well. All OK.
A strike 15 years or so, bounced down our disused telephone cable which was disconnected and then jumped to the house alarm. We had to call the alarm guy out in the early hours to turn the damn thing off. So been respectful of thunderstorms since.

1 Like

Yes, it was all looking a bit quiet until about 10pm when something a bit more interesting appeared to be coming out of France, around Le Havre. The one thing really noticeable last night was the very strong smell of Ozone - not surprising given the amount of electrical activity but not something I normally notice.

:small_blue_diamond:Have you not heard of Air conditioning,… Problem solved :grin::joy::grin:

/Peder🙂

2 Likes

I wouldn’t watch the cricket today

2 Likes

About the keep-it-on question, I was looking for the “facts”:

I’ve just checked the “specs” on the Naim-page and the “quick start guide” for my Atom.
No mention of “storage or operating temperature range”. FAQ does not know the words “temperature” or “degree”.
I’m used to have such specs for my electronic devices, i.e. computers. They produce heat, and their cooling capacity is “dimensioned” for certain surrounding temperature. Electronics “age faster” when hot (factored in within the “normal operating parameters”); and can break (if too hot, computers usually throttle / shut down to avoid that).

Does anybody have a reference from Naim / for Naim products?
I usually would not care (think it’s an issue), but it’s approaching 40° in Germany in some places - and 35°+/40°+: that’s typically where IT stuff will start to be picky.

1 Like

I don’t recall any such information for the new Unitis. Separate power amps shut down automatically if the internal temperature reaches 70 degrees C, and the old Unitis used to stop playing and go into a standby mode rather than a full shutdown. I would guess that the new models are much the same, but you would have to ask Naim for a precise answer.

@Richard.Dane Hi Richard. Can you advise us on this?