Turntable light

Not a very good idea, I have a Tizio - it’s very heavy…

1 Like

You can add a stand to the Tizio, which makes it a lot more versatile.

Ours has been used with the Fraim stacks in the past. At the moment it is used as a reading light on one of the sofas:

It is a stable column that the base of the Tizio clips into. Sorry for the dark image, but an online search will show you the available colours and the dimensions.

1 Like

I saw those and wondered how stable they might be?

Not in our current house but in the new one if we ever get to move it might be just the ticket and dual purpose too, reading and turntable

I use this.

1 Like

Hi,
is yours an LED type or one with halogen bulbs like ours? The heat from the bulb has ruined two heads so far, making it the only so-so Luceplan lamp around here.

Halogen.

Try mini Anglepoise: can be USB if you like.

Or try a battery powered torch/phone: no RFI or mains issues :sunglasses:

Or a liquid illuminated cooling system for your NAPs a la gaming PCs :crazy_face:

If it is to see when you change records anything that phisically fits and looks nice will do - simply turn off after cueing and ithere is no need to be concerned about RFI or heat etc…

That’s what I did when I had a TT on a rack inside a cupboard when kids were small - with a door switch that made it automatic.

I spoke about this last night with my missus, we both like the idea as a versatile reading/GP lamp but it’s probably a bit big for it’s intended location in our current room. However when and if we ever get to move house (Covid is dragging it out!!!) I think we will get a classic on a stand. For now I’ve ordered a Tizio micro (0.9Kg) that will or hopefully sit comfortably on or next to the CD player adjacent to the turntable. Heresy I know but CD to us is background music usually so should be less of a problem

Tizio micro in place, I need to extend the cable but other than that it’s a very useful light

Checking Amazon looking for a wireless, rechargeable light (thanks @HappyListener) , I found this:

Nice and unobtrusive, run time of 16hrs in continuous use, so lasts a fair while.

(Yes, I need to get the wall replastered!)

2 Likes

My light just came in. It’s exactly what I wanted. Enough light to read the album without getting blared with white light. It looks like a sodium street lamp. It’s even good to leave on all the time. It’s supposed to last 60 hours on a charge. We’ll see. That seems optimistic. I turned the volume all the way up, and only if you put the base right next to the cartridge, you can hear a faint whining sound.

This is on the lowest setting. It’s the iGoober amber light from Amazon.

4 Likes

I’ve not quite figured out why I’d want one. Even if my living room is relatively dimly lit - and my 60 yr old eyes ain’t what they used to be - I can see fine to get an lp on and off the platter, and drop the cueing level with the stylus over the lead-in grooves. Might be different if I didn’t have a cueing lever.

2 Likes

I guess it’s only for us weirdos that like to listen in complete darkness :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Remind me of discos all those years years ago in the uni bar on a Saturday night!

I use a Mathmos - the ideal turntable light :+1:

7 Likes

That’s what I wanted to use but my wife wouldn’t let me move it from the sideboard between the speakers, I suggested we get another but she said no

1 Like

I have had this one for a number of years

Also comes in Black

Rather than use the power plug provided, I used a spare 5V feed from a LPS.

Nice…! I think Rega should re-brand it :grin:

2 Likes