Turntable Poll

Nigel yes I’m Vertere PSU, Roksan TT/arm, Dyna cartridge/Naim Phonostage.

Michell Orbe/Technoarm/Dynavector DV20x2/Trigon Advance

VPI Prime - Grado Reference. Sonata II - Naim Stageline/Flatcap XS2 - Chord Huei

Michell Orbe (NC), SME V, Dynavector XX2 Mk2, Prefix

It would have been interesting to see the numbers of people with LP12/Naim Aro/Superline combo on this Naim forum.

Over in the Padded Cell, Roger started a much more interesting thread about turntable synergy, asking whether it was possible to achieve synergy with a Naim system with anything other than Linn or Rega.

When the whole Linn / Naim thing started, Linn didn’t make arms or cartridges and the classic deck was probably the LP12 with Grace G707 and a Supex, the 900 or something like that. Only later did the Ittok and Asak appear to form the first all Linn front end. But even then it was used into a Naim phono stage.

When Rega started they were very much ‘beneath’ Linn and only later started making top flight decks that could truly compete with Linn, or at least the more basic versions of the LP12. In the U.K. Linn and Rega have long been popular, with a large dealer network and a good reputation, so will obviously feature in more systems. That doesn’t mean they have a particular synergy, more that they are popular. Other decks may have better synergy but never come to prominence.

@RogerGround owns a Palmer and it would be good to hear why that was chosen over perhaps more ‘popular’ options.

2 Likes

Another Alphason Sonata and HR100S MCS user here

1 Like

Pink Triangle, Grace G707, Goldring Eroica L, Stageline.
Supex 901 sculling around somewhere in the house.

1 Like

Rega p6 with ania and project tube box ds2 valve phono amp

Second/daughters setup

Rega P25,RB600,Exact. With Laa-Laa mat.
An all Rega deck.

9 Likes

The job of a turntable is twofold, to sound good and to look good

I think that does one and will do the other

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Vertere MG-1 MKII, Vertere Mystic, Dynavector P75 MKIV.

1 Like

Thanks. It does both.
OK, so it’s just a dressed up Rega 3 circa 1999. Bought new from a Rega dealer in Brighton. Buying a new TT in 1999 was seen as " odd". By then vinyl was properly seen as old school by most.

But 22 years on, still catches an eye.

Can’t answer poll. LP12, ARO, Hana, Lehmann Phono.

I suspect that most Aros put on LP12s 20 to 30 years ago are still on the LP12s. I bet most original Linn arms are not.

1 Like

So is a bag of chips. :joy::joy:

Details on ‘Show Us Your Turntable’ thread, post #12.

1. Thorens TD124 Mk2 / Fidelity Research FR64 / Fidelity Research FR1 Mk3F / Superline

2 LP12 / Armageddon / ARO / Troika / Prefix

Play mostly on 1.

Could always start another poll…

Although probably kept simply with; which turntable do you use your Aro on (?)
Far too many variables to also include carts and phono stages :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

@anon4489532. Ten years ago I wanted a new turntable to go with my then MF Nuvista M3 integrated and Dali Helicon 8 MK2 speakers. So over a period of two years, on and off I listened to Avid, Linn, Mitchell, Nottingham Analogue and Roksan, there may be others that I have forgotten. I had never hard of John Palmer but happened to be in a dealers listen to a Mitchell and he suggested I had a listen which I did, there and at home. To my ears it worked in my system in my room so I purchased the JP 3 along with the Quad 24P phono stage; again I had listened to lots of phono stage over two years.
The last sentence of your second paragraph, IMHO, sums it all up nicely. Where you find Naim you tend to find Linn and/or Rega. So I was just curious to do a straw pole to see if the majority of Naim owners went down the Linn or Rega route. From all of the responses it would appear not, there is an eclectic mix which is nice to see or indeed hear.
I appreciate my pole was over simplified but there are that many combinations one could have on a Linn or Rega plinth I thought the pole would get unwieldy.
Kind Regards.
Roger