Turntable recommendations?

Yes, Peter must have accumulated a few thousand air miles around the globe. Now, that’s customer service!

I have listened to a Aria/Ania and neo PS on an RP6 vs standard (what I have) and I must say the difference was a lot more than I was expecting ! very nice indeed. Hopefully this weekend I will be listening to a couple of upgrade turntables and then I have a bit of a drive planned to listen to a LP12. That is probably the easiest bit, as then I have to make my mind up !

Looks like you have a streamer above the preamp. Digital above/near a preamp is not advised! Try turning the streamer off and listen to the vinyl. More air round Naim boxes is well worthwhile.

Phil

Thank you, it is a HDX, I don’t steam.
I will turn it off though and give it a whirl !

So I have ended up with an RP10/Aph2/Aria and very pleased I am too. I won’t use all the cliches to describe it :grinning: but it sounds wonderful to me. Last night I played Jess Glynne/Rag n Bone man/Lana DelRey and a bit of Florence and they all sounded the best they have for ages to me. Only downside is my speakers (Kef R500) do seem to boom a bit with the bass at higher volumes, so will prob look at them next, but for now I am turning the volume down a bit and loving it.

I must admit I did not demo the LP12 in the end. After the (what seems to me) marmite reviews on it in this thread I am not the sort of person who needs something like that in my life. I am sure when set up properly it is an awesome bit of kit but my system gets used but the kids and is on all the time and I don’t won’t to be calling somebody out if it gets knocked and is not set up perfectly.

Once again thanks to everybody who took the time to respond to this post, I appreciate all the input.

4 Likes

Looking good. What’s the electric blue LP you’re playing in the photo?

Second that - I’ve owned LP12s since 1989 - only two in that time mind you. I’ve never found them fussy and dont you believe all that folklore about them going out of tune every five minutes either cos they don’t ! I accept that it’s all down to personal choice at the end of the day so trust your ears - as well as safeguarding your wallet!

Good choice.
Do enjoy RP10 - a wonderful deck it is.

What more could you want?
Technics 1200, external PSU, Mike New bearing, SME 9-2.
The cart is a Goldring 2100 which doesn’t do it justice.

2 Likes

@Richard.Dane Jess Glynne - Always in between. It was a limited edition when album was first released.

1 Like

Love a technics 1200, heard far too many DJs over the years using them !

1 Like

Did you demo the cart and phono with the RP6? That would have been an interesting comparison. You mentioned in another thread how you thought Florence sounded really muffled on vinyl, is that still your opinion with the upgrades?

I did, the Aph2/Aria on the RP6 was a huge improvement. For me the RP10 was another step on, and when I factored in the cost of the Aph2 and what I could sell my RP6 into it, the RP10 made sense (man maths there) and it also future proofs my turntable to a certain extent. And yes Florence is def back to her lovely best, currently listening to her as a matter of fact !

I’d suggest getting a better cartridge and phono stage, before changing the entire turntable. :wink:

Sounds like the OP stayed with Rega and upgraded to the RP10. Excellent move, in my opinion. For others, I’ll just mention that the new P8 is getting rave reviews, including a new one by Michael Fremer on his Analog Planet website. He has also posted a three hour (!) phone interview with the P8 designer, Phil Freeman.

1 Like

there is a huge step with the rp8 over the p6. The rp8 can be found new today for the price of the p6, so i would not hesitate.
I had the rp10 before and now the rp8, which is close.

Good choice. I ended up with the same TT set up having slipped and slid on the LP 12 upgrade slope for a number of years. Nothing against the LP12 but I like the fact the REga delivers and the upgrade temptations few. Final upgrade for me may be from the Aria to an Aura. Thinking of a home dem when I get back from holiday in three weeks.

1 Like

I found the same with RP8 vs P6 comparison, even with the RP8 and Exact2.

Didn’t do a RP6 comparison or a P8 comparison. Stayed clear of demoing the RP10 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

yes, rp8 vs rp6 at my dealer place. The rp8 is the best affair now, can be bought for less than 1,5 k GBP , and the performance is 90% of the p10.

1 Like

I am thilled with mine.

Love the P8, but a bit wary of it being knocked, snagged accidentally