Turntable stand for linn lp12

Sorry, I really didn’t mean to ignore you, just didn’t see your post.

No, I retired (early) at the end of 2000, and no longer have any relevant contacts.

I was trying to arrange a work placement a few weeks ago for the daughter of one of the nurses in the care home, and couldn’t find a single person in my own former firm, or any of the other London firms, that I know.

Probably better out of it, though, on balance.

I can’t tell you how sorry I feel listening to your situation. My parents are long departed but I listen to my wife’s siblings in the US trying to decide on POA for my father in law and persuading him to sign up. I’m beginning to understand the depths of his scepticism. My wife isn’t offering to have any role. She’s taking advantage of living over here to keep out of it.

I take due note of your inputs to multiple threads across the community. I’d have thought they provided good evidence of your continued mental prowess if such were needed.

All the best!

The best results I had from my LP12 was on the top shelf of my Isoblue rack. 4 shelves with the rest of the system underneath. Simple.

1 Like

Thank you. That’s kind of you to post, greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Would not a wall mounted rack always be better than on top of a rack? At least on a floating floor.

I use an isoAcoustics Delos under my turntable. The shelf mostly just serves to get the TT off the floor. Another way to resolve the issue is to replace the aluminum cones under the MDF board with something else (sorbotane, isolation pucks, or similar).

I think it’s all site dependant. When I had the shelf on an internal wall it was no problem, but when I moved it to an outside (plaster on brick) wall the aluminum cones created a problem.

1 Like

I use a Mana stand, which you might be able to find second hand - excellent and not that expensive. Naim bought out their more expensive Fraim which to me is based on the Mana, when they realised what an improvement it made to the sound as the Mana was designed with Naim in mind. Fraim does look better, but it takes up more space.

I too would suggest that your room details are key factors, especially floor bounciness.

Floor issues are the commonest reason to try a wall shelf - for most of us, once we have tried a wall shelf for an LP12, there is no going back.

is also worth beating in mind Linn’s perennial advice for something ‘light and rigid.’ The top of a 6-layer Fraim stack is ‘rigid’ but not ‘light’, so it may be a better place for other TTs (Regas work well on their wall shelf or on a Fraim for example).

Many here are very happy with the top of a Fraim of course, but some of them may not have compared it to c.£150-worth of wall shelf.

After much experimenting, mine is still on a 30-year old Target wall shelf - £80 new iirc.

Other ears and rooms will give other answers…

4 Likes

Good advice.

Probably the reason for the original SO TT stand being so successful, (at the time).

Edit : SO = Sound Organisation

1 Like

Hi Nick

How’s the new TT settling in?
All the teething problems resolved now?
Happy with the final Cartridge choice?

Simon

I still use a Sound Factory Turntable Stand, from the 80’s -

5 Likes

That must be a foreshortening of the image, but the Ittok(?) looks far too close to the centre of the LP, almost on the label - which the stylus probably wouldn’t like very much.

Taking off the standard earth lead (i.e. the one to the Superline’s earth point) AND adding a new one from Keel to the 52 preamp’s earth doo-dah AND swapping the Lyra cable for a normal Linn arm lead has completely fixed the problem.

With 52 feeding Superline, this Stiletto is now the best LP12 I have heard, and generally wonderful. It was a lot cheaper than (say) a fully sorted Bardo and is a bit less delicate in SQ than a full Klimax imho.

The Kleos is great and imho considerably better at tatty vinyl (of which I still have lots) than my Krystal ever was. It is also quieter when it should be silent (if you see what I mean).

I’ll be back in London soon enough to check my view has not changed.

The only LP12 question left is whether I should sell my old cherry plinth LP12 (Ekos, Kore, Lingo 4, Krystal etc) for whatever I can get or whether I should stop looking for a buyer altogether.

I could add a Prefix and ship it to Tasmania for a few hundred quid. It would go well with my 82/HC/ 250/ Xplorers.

Of course, that makes no sense, as I have no vinyl in Tasmania at all and only plan to be here for 3 months in every 12. That doesn’t mean I won’t do it, esp if the cherry LP12 really is worth less than £4K. After all, los of people seem to retire to Tasmania from the mainland and die (not my plan), so second-hand vinyl is abundant.

3 Likes

Expand the image :mag_right: There’s clear water between the stylus and label - it’s just a perspective thing IMO, as it’s the playing the last track.

I don’t know how to do that, but no matter. As long as the stylus is OK!

Being retired is not a release from work. You are changing one form of living for another and not always but hopelully better. We all need someting to get us up in the morning.
Also being old brings potential health problems to us all. I am now nudging 79 and think i am lucky that so far I have had no major problems.
LP12 supports. I used to have a SO table on a wood suspended floor and,yes, the stylus didn’t like it. This time last year I had a two tower main Fraim fitted. Not a job for me at my age. The TT is now on my repositioned AUDIO-TECK shelf. Beneath is the “brain” stack with 555 head unit on top.
Tho SO table now supports some TV boxes at the other end of the room.
Given the choice of TT support even with a solid floor I would still opt for a wall shelf.

1 Like

I read the Forum on my mobile so it’s just a two-finger…er…‘reverse pinch’ to expand a pic. Comes in handy for looking at detail :slightly_smiling_face:

We moved here from solid floor premises and the floor is not quite like a trampoline but it is bouncy. Anyone who comes in the door sets the arm/stylus off, cured by a Half Decent wall mount. In spite of my awful DIY skills, I even managed to get it exactly horizontal - I wouldn’t change back.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.