Turntable with integrated amp

Cambridge kit is usually made in China, I doubt its performance is anywhere near a Technics or Rega priced similar.
OK I could be wrong as I have zero intention listening to any Cambridge kit of recent, I’d pick a Rega or Technics anyway of the week.
On a higher budget I’d look wider, such as Vertere, Roksan amo.

I couldn’t help thinking what a turntable you could get within the overall budget of a Nova without PE.

1 Like

That’s really helpful thanks, Cambridge Audio used to be owned by Richer Sounds but not sure if they still are.

And a Hicap for the Prefix?

1 Like

There are several great decks here. I would encourage you to look at a few and hear a few if you can.

Otoh, if you are dipping your toe but at don’t want to waste the quality you have further down the line or over-pay, I’d strongly encourage you to buy second-hand, probably from a dealer (not private) and probably via eBay.

For best VFM, a small phono stage (several good options, but I am a big fan of the Dynavector P75 mk4) is probably ideal, but (as you can see from the comments from others) there are some high quality one-box options if a second box really isn’t acceptable.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the great suggestions, I’m already looking on eBay. Doesn’t seem to be a lot around used at the moment but yes great way to grab a bargain. Really appreciate you taking the time to impart your valuable knowledge Nick

1 Like

Owners could sit anywhere and have their hifi manufactured in the Far East.
This is a fact for many good old established British brands, such as Quad, Wharfedale, Leak etc etc you name them.

Naim owners may be French, most of their kit is made in Salisbury and Slovakia, I believe the Muso’s are China made.

Written from a Chinese pc. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I am looking at eBay and I see your problem.

There are quite a few good turntables for £500-£1000 and some very good turntables for £1000-£1500. Many of them are just a fraction of the new equivalents’ prices, and would grace most living rooms.

There are Rega Fono phono stages for about £100 and rather better options for £200-£400.

However, none of that gets you a good one-box player, and several of the excellent choices on eBay now have an external power supply box too.

If you don’t have space for all that, even tucked away somewhere, then things definitely look tougher. You could try calling a few dealers for (for example) Clearaudio and Technics to see if they have an ex-dem unit that would suit you.

Good luck!

1 Like

You’re a gentleman Nick many thanks!

I’m amazed they don’t make high end integrated turntables, Naim make a fortune out of one box integrated systems so why not?

Given the tiny signal strength of a turntable cartridge, better turntables usually involve a bit of space between the various electrical bits. Annoying, isn’t it?

1 Like

Richer sounds has the one I mentioned and others,
Is there one near you?
Least you can test before you buy

And looks 21st century

Taking the advice given above I’m now thinking a non integrated TT may be best. There is a used Roksan Xerxes 20 for sale with an Artemis arm which a hifi shop in Chester is selling. I may bid on that. Does anyone know what sort of stage I would need to connect this to my Nova PE? sorry I’m clueless when it comes to turntables…

I use a Naim Stageline that I bought used to connect the LP 12 to my Atom.

I assume that’s the one on the auction site, if you are interested in a Roksan Xerxes 20 plus they can be bought on the auction site brand new at 50% rrp. I have just purchased the Xerxes 20 plus, with a Nima tone arm, Roksan corus2 cartridge and a Roksan VSC2 PSU and Phono stage, all for £4000 (after making an offer) all kit is brand new. They also have the same but with a Sara arm and Shiraz cartridge again reduced from over 12k to just over 6k.

Crikey, that sounds like a good deal! Replacing your DG-1?

*Or even “replaced”!?

1 Like

The DG-1 has gone great turntable for the price but doesn’t compete with the Xerxes.

2 Likes

I’d love a Roksan 20 myself, sounds like a bargain.
Guess it wipes the floor on older Xerxes, recall many of these had sagging issues.

Wonder why they are selling their decks at such discount ?
New editions or just too large stock perhaps.
Its not really satisfying for those that have paid full RRP.

1 Like

Just seems to be the one HiFi store that’s having a half price sale. The sagging issue has been cured. It was an offer to good for me not to buy.

1 Like

My local Roksan dealer said that & the Radius 7 are probably going to be discontinued very soon. Probably being replaced with something else

I wouldn’t entertain Rega Fono, I had one previously with Project Experience turntable. very underwhelming when compared to CD. last year I upgraded to Technics 1200G with Hana MC and Rega Aria Phono Stage. Absolute night and day improvement this now easily outperforms CD. I could not be happier and now revisiting my record collection with enthusiasm.

1 Like