TV through Naim system

My guess is that perhaps there’s an effect on sound quality which is deemed acceptable on the Unitis, but not on the separate streamers.

Much better if you interpose an AV amp. My setup has a Denon amp driving the centre and rear speakers, with pre-outs going to to my SN1 for left and right fronts.

1 Like

I’ve used my hifi for tv for years and always struggled with lip sync. Adjusting lip sync delay one way or the other only seemed to work for a day or two.

My solution has been a cheap ‘HDMI Arc Extractor’ device. Many available on Amazon or ebay and cost peanuts.

Instead of running an optical cable from tv to ND5, I have an HDMI cable from the ARC socket on the tv into the ARC extractor, and then an optical cable from the ARC extractor to the ND5. Result is perfect lip sync.

Another option with these devices is to run RCA from the ARC extractor into the AV bypassed input on the preamp. This allows you to use the TV remote to control the volume which is great, but the gain on the extractor is quite low and high volume results in some clipping.

1 Like

Lip syncing has never been an issue for me or barely noticeable , been feeding my satellite /cable/VCR /Playstation /Blu Ray since the 1980s .

Since it went into my UnitiQute which I use as a DAC for the AV system very pleased

Please excuse tatty photo

3 Likes

Is it only 0.7…? Seemed longer when I tried. tbh, when I turned the buffer off then it seemed okay. However ZERO room for aforementioned Bartok or any speakers has scuppered that idea :frowning:

I think so ? 0.72 springs to mind , it was hidden somewhere deep in user guide I think . O.7 is a long long time when it comes to lip sync .

I used to run a fancy cable from my Sony Bravia into my NDS, which was great. Now, on the advice of my dealer, it goes into the aux on my 52 via my LAN.

My system is active and the above has resolved the alleged ‘mumbling’ on some TV programmes.

I have my TV connected to my ND555 but only listen to music programmes through the system much prefer using the Samsung Soundbar for general TV use. I find that with some programmes the various sound setting options with the Soundbar are very useful indeed.

Lip sync is one reason why i would really like it if Naim offered an HDMI expansion like some NAD and Linn units have. This way you can just plug the source HDMI into the preamp, and use the output HDMI to feed the TV or projector. The preamp can then take care of the sync.

Hifi activated big screen still has issues with those content filled with mumblers.
Matthew McConaughey is an actor that still gets me reaching for the subtitles option.

We did that with a SuperUniti, fed from a Sky box, however the dynamic range on some channels made finding a sensible volume level difficult. Resolved issue by adding a relatively cheap Marantz AVR to feed a centre speaker and connected pre-outs to the SuperUniti. Audyssey processing in the AVR provides dynamic range limiting and makes things a lot easier, especially later in the evenings to avoid upsetting neighbours. A final benefit is that you get lip sync adjustnent and HDMI ARC as well.

1 Like

I sometimes play sound from my Amazon FireTV.
I have a Logitech Bluetooth adapter connected to one of the inputs of my 172.

We have Sky Q box via optical into 272/250DR.

Sounds far superior to telly speakers, although initially it was a bit of a shock as your ears are used to the way TVs skew frequencies. Also not every Sky channel has fantastic sound quality and even on same channel it can vary between programs.

We’ve had no issues with lip sync. With newer broadcasts, especially some of the HD stuff, it sounds fantastic. Handel’s Messiah on BBC last night was very enjoyable.

Added bonus is you can play any of the services Sky offers such as Spotify thru 272 with ease and guests can cast to the Q to easily play any content (video or audio) too.

2 Likes

I have no idea where delay settings might be in my TV ‘system’. Delay (ie lipsync) is an issue with Netflix and occasionally other items.

We have a Sony TV (not that new), a Humax Freesat box and a Roku streamer thingy. I run a cable from the TV audio out 3.5mm jack to an unused input on my 252.

Where might I find something to adjust delay?

Minimally technical answer please.

Bruce

Interesting. I’ve run TV through 2ch hifi for years and lip sync has never been an issue.

HDMI arc is great through the Nova, as I no longer need both remote controls. However, whether it’s optical, HDMI or phono to my old Nait 3, timing has always been ok. Puzzling.

Regards to SQ I don’t know why you wouldn’t, if you have hifi in the same room as your TV. I’d never go back as TV speakers are usually useless.

I have an high end 85" Sony and have the following setup:

Oppo BD → HDMI → TV → Toslink → Rega DAC → Nait XS

My blu ray movies sound like the bomb, its magnificent!

People’s eyes get real big when they see and hear this TV setup with two little speakers (Naim Credo).

When I watched “Children of Men” the other night and the explosion goes of it scared the piss out of me…and then during the movie there is a HUGE, suspenseful Bass hit…and that is mind-boggling through my Naim system.

Another INCREDIBLE movie is Blade Runner 2049, the opening intro is crazy through Naim 2-speaker setup.

All my digital inputs are optical toslink to the DAC (TV, BD Player, Computer)

Lip sync issues generally depend on the type of data that needs to be decoded and synchronised. Television is often broadcasted with regular 2-channel audio which is easier to process than for instance multi-channel streams with Dolby Digital or DTS. Another factor can be the type of video stream, for instance h264, h265, vp9 etc.

If you only watch standard TV in either SD or HD, it generally shouldn’t be too difficult to sync properly once you have found out the fixed amount of delay in the signal. If you also watch different streaming services such as Netflix, Disney, Amazon etc, or watch films from others sources, it can be more tricky to get right.

So how can I adjust it on my devices?

Bruce

If you have an older TV and use the analog out, it’s possible that you have no settings to adjust the offset there. Mostly you find this option on newer TV’s with a digital output.

Ideally there also is an option to bypass the local audio processing completely, which is generally referred to as ‘audio pass through’. This can reduce the latency even more and increase the audio quality, since it won’t be processed by the (often poor) internal DAC of the TV. This may have the consequence of losing the ability to control the volume on the TV itself though.

Some people also have good results using HDMI ARC (if available), on my system this appeared to have a noticeable detrimental effect on sound quality. Not sure why that is…

OK, I think I understand. The TV does have an optical audio out socket, but I am not sure if that helps. If I used a little DAC to convert optical to analog ie RCA I could use it but is this likely to help solve the problem?

I will delve into the TV menus too.

I control TV volume only via the HiFi anyway

Thanks