TV through Naim system

For your scenario, since you have multiple video sources, the best option might be to use an HDMI switch / extractor like @Wayne does. This would bypass all the processing in the TV and depending on the quality of the switch could give you a near perfect sync.

These devices are generally not very expensive (usually not more than $35-50), although some do perform better than others so it’s probably good to read some reviews first.

This is an example of such a device:

2 Likes

Thanks

Can you just simplify for me how I’d connect things to that before I do some research.

I have a Blu-Ray player, a Roku thing and a Freesat box connected by HDMI to my TV. Would they all connect to a device such as above and then does that connect to the TV via the HDMI ‘out’? How do I get the audio out? Would that still come from the TV jack or from the box above somehow?

Sorry for my ignorance. I also apologise if I don’t reply for a while as I’ll be out for a while now

Thanks in advance

Bruce

Lipsync issues occur for two main reasons, the display device in this case a TV has extra picture processing that causes a delay and the sound then needs to be delayed to get them back in line if your using external audio system, the internal sound will deal with this delay as its part of the system. Or the streams themselves get out of sync from the source sometime starting the stream again can fix it and resync them but more often it’s out for the duration or can move in and out of sync throughout a programme.

For the former issue it can be solved by delaying the audio, most TVs that have a digital out have a delay to allow this. Al AVRs will have a delay to compensate. The more features the TV the more it can affect the delay. It’s getting better with newer sets as they are using better CPUs and tech to reduce the latency. 40m/s is roughly equivalent to a frame of picture some can go up to 100m/s. My old Samsung had a delay of this size. Getting the exact delay is crucial as even if it’s off by a small amount it can look to be in or out of sync quite easily. It’s best to use a sync video clip of some kind to test for this. BBC uses to have one to use.

Unfortunately the latter problem is not as easy to fix as often you get audio lagging behind the images this happens on Netflix a lot I find and nothing you can do will sort this as you can’t delay the picture to compensate. Same goes for wooly sync that drifts. Sometimes restarting your streaming kit can help but more often it’s the source that’s the issue saldy and nothing will fix it.

That’s right, your HDMI sources would plug into the switch with only one HDMI cable going out to the TV. The switch has audio outputs for analog, optical or coax, in which case you could use the analog one to connect to your preamp. So you wouldn’t use the audio output from the TV anymore.

There might be some switches available also that feature stereo RCA analog out instead of a 3.5mm jack, which might be interesting to look for as well.

Try using the optical out from the tv to your preamp. I have done this for years, never had a problem with lip synch. I have game consoles and streaming services playing through. If it’s on your tv it comes through your hifi. It’s loads better than the tv speakers. Turn your tv speakers off and just us optical out from your LG tv.

1 Like

In the case of @BruceW, i think his preamp doesn’t have an optical input, which seems to be the main obstacle to getting the sync adjusted on his system.

Hi Bruce , the Optical will go direct into your NDS and work a treat . It did on my old ND5XS . The audio settings will be easy to find if they are there on your TV . My 2013 Panasonic plasma didn’t have any but my current LG does .

One thing I noticed last night after leaving the Sky Q box on the same sports channel for a few hours is that the lip sync wandered with the picture definitely arriving before the sound . I switched the TV off and on again then everything was perfect . This suggests there is differences in Audio / picture clocking somewhere and I’ve only noticed it with Sky Q . When using native apps like Netflix and Prime etc I have no issues at all but do need a bit more delay 100ms for lip sync .

Sorry litemotiv miss read the question. My bad

My solution for what it is worth, bearing in mind I am feeding the tv (24 inch!!) into a system from the 1980’s (NAC62 hicap NAP140 and yes speakers from the 1970’s, Rogers BBC Studio Monitors) is to take an optical into a MF V90DAC just next to the tv, and take a phono to the NAC62 on the other side of the fireplace (I have conduit under the fireplace, too small as it turns out but too late now).

This has revealed the freeview output (all we have) is often poor and how the fashion of background music regardless of the programme material is overpowering and intensely irritating.

However all this is better than the minute tv speakers.

If the TV has a 3.5mm mini-jack and go from that straight into a spare input on the Amp. If the TV is optical only, go from that to a DAC, then from the output side, usually a 3.5mm mini-jack and go from that into a spare input on the Amp.

Cables are readily available on the usual shopping websites.

Bruce, I have an oldish Sony tv. It has two ch audio out phono sockets. I assumed that audio from the tv would not have any lip sync issues which for me turned out to be true. So a longish lead from the tv (phono) to my av input on the 252 (din) worked a treat.

Stu

That is what I have done (from the headphone socket) Stu but streaming in particular is definitely ‘off’. A switch such as shown above is on the way. Since the TV only has two HDMI sockets if nothing else this will mean we can use the various inputs without having to swap cables over each time!

Thanks

Bruce

1 Like

Nice Bruce, hope it will help with your situation, keep us posted!

I used the Airplay feature previously on the Nova it worked a treat from an Apple TV.

Exactly this! Denon AV-Amp set up to the AV circuit on my NAC202, and then the AV Amp driving my Kef centre, rear and sub-woofer. Sounds wonderful for films, sport and general TV watching.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.