Twonky vs Minimserver on Melco

You mean available on the front panel of the Melco? Because the app I open is Naim app, and i don’t see Twonky or Minimserver on it.

On the Naim App - under the ‘Servers’ button - click that and it lists all the Servers it can access on your Network.
It shows two Servers for Twonky and Minim if both are running on the Melco - click on the one you want to use.

It may be that if you are turning one off via the Melco front panel then it will not now be showing, but I had run both on and just independently (not via Melco front panel) turned on Minim so that both were running - that is how I did my evaluation between the two.

I greatly preferred each time Twonky - then removed and deleted Minim and Twonky improved a bit more.

DB.

I have no servers buttons on my Naim app. Perhaps because I have an Nds , not the Nd555.
I have only to choose the Melco first to access to my library. But no server button.

No, I give it a quick try. Back to Minim for me and try to get the ordering working as I prefer.

I heard it all now

Minim Watch app sits on another networked computer and can turn the Minim Server on/off - to be able to do that the ‘Off’ Server is still active listening on a port, just not enabled as a Music Server and presented as a service to be used - but it is software using clock-cycles.
Should you be able to hear it? I didn’t know.
I tried removing and yes it was having a small impact - the difference is small and much smaller than between Minim and Twonky Server signatures - which in turn are not supposed to be audible like everything else …

DB.

Why is is listening on a port when it is off? Then it isn’t off. (That would be catastrophic in computing if a service that is turned off were still listing on a port)

Reassuring as the difference is minimal. So I will not bother with it, I am not very pc skilled enough. Search on all the Melco N1 manual, and saw nothing on removing Minimserver.
Happy Christmas DB , and those watching this thread.

1 Like

Maybe it’s a devilserver, waiting in the dark.

That’s very funny LOL :slight_smile:

1 Like

How should I know - I didn’t design it! I just describe how it operated. There are many things that you turn off and it is really standby mode. Anyway - not my problem and no need to get upset about it.

To you too! :slightly_smiling_face:

DB.

1 Like

I’m not upset. Please don’t blame me for believing that it is off if you say that you can turn it off. So I understood that it was off and it still had an SQ effect. Which would be, well, impossible. A service on a computer that is “off” is off, i.e. not even loaded into RAM. Sure ,it can be started by something else, but until then it’s off. But apparently it isn’t off as it still listens on the network, if that’s really the case. It’s still very hard to believe that this has an effect, but at least it’s not completely impossible.

Excellent! :slightly_smiling_face:

I agree - perhaps that is how Melco now manage it and did not in the very early version I had?

Not worth the intellectual clock-cycles - have a great Christmas! :bear:

DB.

1 Like

… and an improved New Year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Minim is off to me but how do I remove it completely?

Perhaps that’s why the services are referred to as daemons? :wink:

3 Likes

I did this years ago following instructions from Melco web site - involved using a USB pen if I recall correct.

…there was a web page with instructions - I can’t find it right now if it still there.

DB.

1 Like

Meni, as you have a recent Melco, the N10, have you tried Minimserver 2? I have only the Minimserver 1 available on mine. But perhaps the 2 sounds better?

The UPnP input was renamed Server input on the 2nd gen streamers.

1 Like

I tried that one. Nothing happens.