Unhappy with the new NAIM update

So it’s just if you have several Naim sources, not a turntable that’s grounded to a phono stage?

Too early to tell… smoother again I think, but had no chance to test in total

Here then is why naim are reluctant to release firmware updates lol.

Perhaps, just perhaps following such an update you are heavily tuned to hear your system, you are tuned right in squinting your eyes, your feet at the ready for the obligatory tapping.

But whats this? Systems sound different all the time, depending on time of day, your mood, how tired you are, draw on the national grid etc.

Get a grip people. Have a drink. Do what ever it takes to get over this and move on with your life. The sound has not changed.

4 Likes

This isn’t really accurate.

The way Naim preamplifier inputs work is that they use the ground as the unbalanced input signal return and reference for the preamp inputs. However in doing this one needs to ensure there is only ONE signal ground reference. Having two or more will cause an inductive loop and interference from bachround EM fields in your house will be induced into your audio. This might be obvious or very subtle detail robbing noise.
Having no earth grounds will mean the earth return will likely be only capacitively grounded, thereby slightly filtering out very much lower frequencies of the audio, subtly suppressing transients, and adding low level noise signal at best , or worse creating a capacitively coupled induction loop with an obvious hum.
In days gone by the Naim convention was the CDP was the ground reference, and other inputs had floating ground. With less CDPs being used, Naim introduced a grounding switch on their sources, so you could elect which one and only which one of your sources was the signal ground reference. Hence the ground switch of float to chassis on sources such as streamers and DACs.
Therefore a floating source has its ground reference set by another source that has its earth ground reference that’s connected to the preamp / NAC.

If you have only one source, then you need to set the ground to Earth/chassis for that source for the preamp to operate as intended within its designed performance.

6 Likes

Absolutely, and let’s not forget humidity, temperature and pressure variables.
In my opinion a good system should work across a range of these parameters. A system over indexed to sound best with a specific set of parameters may well have deficiencies elsewhere that become obvious through an unbalanced sound when the parameters are changed… speaker / room reflection issues can commonly be exposed by this in my experience.

2 Likes

I respect your opininion, but for me a small change as switching the ground switch made a huge difference. For almost 5 days I could not listen in a relaxed way to my system due to the unbalanced SQ, this is certainly not someting in between my ears! Especially with systems which consist of multiple components small details can make a big difference in SQ.

1 Like

Exactly, small details. Human beings simply don’t scrutinise what they are hearing to this extent, in usual day to day listening, you don’t, it would be exhausting!

The question is (and impossible to answer) is if the firmware were updated without people knowing would they still be so wound up? I doubt it.

3 Likes

It’s unclear to me. The recommendation I’ve heard/read here in the past referred to having a cd player and another Naim source, for instance a streamer or a radio I guess. Maybe someone with more insight could help?

1 Like

I have exactly answered this above

2 Likes

Well this is what I intended to say. English is not my first language so obviously got it wrong. But then I have a question for you. Is the RIAA the signal ground if you don’t have the possibility to have it floating? And if so, should you then have the streamer set to floating? Also, if you have two non Naim sources that doesn’t present the opportunity to lift the ground than you are in trouble?

1 Like

@Daan-1975 - glad it’s sounding better for you. Did you try doing a hard factory reset on your 333?

Indeed. If we could have a simple statement as to what is required, as I’m completely confused as to what to with a grounded phono stage in the system….

1 Like

No, I haven’t done that. Now the SQ is in balance again I am reluctant to make any more changes…

But could this be in the FW situation a „correction“ which brings the system to a more used signature as it was before. The transients being hard was one thing what had bothered me with new FW. With Floating streamer this is better - but on which cost?

Is there another source in you system acting as earth/ground now?

@all: can anyone advice how to do a hard factory reset on nd555 with 2x 555ps.
Switch on the digital part only?

Yes, I have the phono pre-amp (NVC TT) of my Solstice and my Denon surround receiver connected to my NAC 332.

1 Like

Thanks - is your surround receiver (even when switched off) acting as earth? Have my onkyo connected to 552

No I don’t think so. Just a 7.1 receiver of which the front speaker pre outputs are connected to the NAC 332 with a RCA kabel. I always keep the receiver in standby mode, maybe that could have any influence?

I assume you are referring to the phono/turntable input. So this depends on how your turn table is grounded. If it is earth grounded - such that the phono output returns have no resistance with the earth strap - then that becomes your ground reference, and all other inputs should float to be optimal on your Naim preamp.

If the turntable has high or infinite resistance between its earth strap and its phono output returns, then you will still need a ground reference as one of your inputs on your preamp for your preamp to work optimally.

If you have a turntable preamp - then it’s the output of that you want to compare - not the phono outputs from the turntable

1 Like

Not really - I can’t see it be any ‘correction’ without changing the architecture - which would be fundamental, and might require hardware changes as well.

I think its simply the effects of a new digital noise profile in your DAC/Streamer you are hearing, which subtly (relatively speaking) will be adjusting the resultant audio balance.

Noise profiles have been carefully managed in the past to keep resultant changes in the resultant audio to a minimum. However a noise profile could be adjusted in a new firmware, however we then get into personal tastes, and one person’s preference could be another’s dislike.

So I can see Naim keeping such changes to a minimum - but understanding that new firmware can slightly tweak the sound. A bit like a new firmware on your car slightly tweaks how it drives and responds sometimes.

Do bear in mind that firmware can contain cyber vulnerability patches - and so for safety reasons I would not hold back on a firmware unless Naim specifically advise there are no vulnerability patches in a particular release,

2 Likes