Unhappy with the new NAIM update

Just call Naim and ask them. Press 1 for tech support.

IMG_7091

As a solution to the negative effects of the FW update, I really think the grounding switch is a red herring.

4 Likes

Or call them directly on 01722 443405.

1 Like

Yes with RIAA I was referring to a phono pre amplifier. Sorry for the confusion. I usually call the phono preamp RIAA or RIAA-stage (direct translation from Swedish)

And thank you for your thorough explanation. It would then, if my deductive abilities are ok, mean that you are indeed in trouble if you have 2 non-Naim sources with no option of lifting the ground on either.

yep - that can be problematic - or if you a non Naim sources where all the outputs are lifted

1 Like

The ground connector on phono amps are normally signal ground. If you want to connect signal ground to chassis you need to connect signal ground to chassis with a cable. But since you have NDS on chassis which connect signal to chassis (not floating) you don’t want this on phono or turntable.

So by installing an update switches and connections related to earthing will start to get done (or undone).

This introduce some hard choices for this weekends entertainment. Should we upgrade and watch the bedroom Naim-system run amok juggling switches and connections or watch Elons Musks new Mechazilla-system catch Starship rocket-stages in mid air :slight_smile:

1 Like

These are the hard factory reset instructions I received from naim for my 222. Should work with other new classic streamers.

By doing this, it can potentially fix any glitches in the firmware that might be causing sonic changes following the recent update.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity I thought I would try wireless on my NDX2 today to see if it improved sq on new firmware, the NDX2 now fails to connect to wifi, I’ve done a factory reset, rebooted router etc etc but still no joy, it sees the networks ok but fails to connect, it was fine on old firmware a few weeks ago when I used it last. Anyone else having wifi issues on latest FW?

1 Like

Hi Simon, I too managed to confuse myself reading all this :slight_smile: I have the NDX2 feeding the Chord Dave ( in pre amp mode) going into 282, what ground setting would be ideal on NDX2? Currently set as ‘Default’. I have no other sources going into 282. Many thanks

Curious - think it sounds best with nd555 floating and with TT earth not connected

Sure, that’s fine, we are all different, there is no issue enjoying your Naim in a way that it was not explicitly designed for.

Agh… so that is a little different… luckily the ground setting is active irrespective of active audio or not on the Naim source.
So I suggest you connect your NDX2 to chassis, and connect a din lead between your 282 and the NDX2 on an unused input on your 282.
You then connect your DAVE to another 282 input, having obviously set your NDX2 to digital mode for your DAVE. The DAVE does not, or mine doesn’t, have a very low impedance between main earth, and unbalanced signal ground/return.
That is what I did on my 552, and now my N50 with my DAVE… subtle but preferable for me.

2 Likes

do you refer to my comment? No earth cable is fine?

Funnily enough, yes. I decided to factory reset my ND555 after using the new firmware (3.10) a few days just because it seemed good practice. I found I couldn’t connect to either the WiFi network I have simply for the ND555 or the general house network. My temporary solution was to connect my iPhone to the dedicated WiFi network and to use the app to set up the ND555 rather than the front panel. That worked fine…. Before anyone says anything I’m using WiFi as an experiment, I usually use an Ethernet cable.

1 Like

Interesting, I also tried connecting my iphone as a hotspot and it wouldn’t connect either, I’ve used it before so I know it works, this rules out my router which is working fine with everything else anyway. Looks like a bug in the FW, I’m guessing not many use wifi so nobody has noticed. I’ll contact support, still not too happy with the sound either, in fact it’s aggravated my mildish tinnitus so that’s not good.

Yes

1 Like

My network is all Ubiquiti and incredibly reliable so agreed it looks like a firmware issue that, as you say, wouldn’t be noticed in typical use. I’ll steer clear of how it sounds questions as I’m running in new speakers!

2 Likes

Thanks Simon. My NDX2 has a ‘default’ and a ‘floating’ setting. I assume the default’ is the ‘chassis’ you mentioned?

2 Likes

1st gen streamers call it chassis, and 2nd gen call it default, so yes, that’s correct.
I agree with Simon’s advice about using a DIN cable to preserve the Naim system ground connection.

4 Likes