Uniti Core Resetting

What I do in such situations is change the name of the album which is already on the Core. Typically I’ll add ‘(old)’ or similar after the title. I have had the problem you describe, but that’s only been where I’ve forgotten to change the title first.

Yes, I exactly did in the same way. But the album, which was on the core, were deleted.

Unfortunately renaming the album in the rip doesn’t help because the Core works by the CD identity code not the metadata or filenames. And if you rip a CD a second time, the new rip always overwrites the old one.

That is exactly the case: The software in the Uniti Core (or that of Rovi, Brainz & Co?) ignores the metadata. And can this be programmed differently, better? I believe: yes. But Naim doesn’t do it. Why? Presumably a fiddle. Or is it not possible after all? I have no idea. Maybe someone will enlighten us…

Hi davidhendon,

I took the core to the dealer, for an audition of 222-300-250.
It worked fine , 6 consecutive CDs ripped with no problem.
The issue must be related to my network at home.

Regards
Rui

1 Like

When I got my Core I tried of course the ripping.
I found the results so-so…
That’s why I keep on doing what I did with my dead Auralic Aries Mini: rip, rework tag on my laptop and send to the HDD by the network.

@Lownote Can I ask you about your very useful “Lessons learned while ripping CDs via Naim Uniti Core” ?

I haven’t seen @Lownote here for a while. What did you want to ask him?

I guess I’m confused but what’s the point of this Core unit? It seems extremely expensive for what it does. I use a Synology NAS. It has sever software pre installed or one can use other server software. I use Minimserver that came pre installed. I rip my CD’s on my iMac with an Apple SuperDrive , I use XLD on my iMac as the ripping software. I have zero issues.

You have a point, and Naim rippers and servers do have very limited functionality compared to the likes of DBpoweramp and Minimserver. On the other hand they provide out of the box performance without the need for much setup and configuration. They also have an SPDIF output which means that you can connect them directly to a DAC if you want to.

I saw @lovnote worked with SongKong music tagger, I would have asked him how the product works to fix bugs in the Naim software: i.e. the lack of tags.

Ok well I haven’t used it myself and maybe he will come along and confirm, but as I understand it Song Kong for Melco specifically includes functionality to handle the Naim metadata storage method and provides its own tags, if necessary from comparing the music itself with on line references.

But it’s not Naim software bugs but rather that the metadata base that Naim uses (primarily Rovi) have shortcomings because of limitations in what the music publishers have put into the database.

We own both a Synology NAS [+Asset] and a Core. They sound the same over ethernet in our system.

You’re right about the Core being expensive for what it does.

However whilst I have no issues ripping on a laptop, moving files around and re-tagging with Picard, SWMBO likes to stick a CD in then five mins later play it via phone.

We use our NAS as the Core music store, so anything she rips appears straight away on Asset listing (and “New” view makes them trivial to find). Her rips backup to cloud overnight.

(In the background I then periodically move her rips into our main music store and tag properly with Picard :laughing:)

I also wrote Unix scripts which pick apart the naim JSON files and stash into file tags, which is what SongKong provides. Those are only needed if manual metadata edits have been made via naim app. I do all music management via Ubuntu.

1 Like

@Ermi I apologize sorry for my extended absence here, and thank you David Hendon for stepping in. David is correct - it’s not Naim software bugs that SongKong addresses, but rather it makes metadata tags for WAV files using Naim rip metadata. This is an issue if you create WAV rips on your Core, because other servers cannot read the Naim metadata files. But SongKong will read those Naim-unique metadata files and use that information to create additional metadata files that are then embedded with those WAV files and can be universally read by other audio servers. If you create FLAC rips on your Naim Core, then those FLAC rips should work with other servers without extra processing.

The latest and craziest quirk of my Uniti Core: Gershwin compilation ripped, no metadata found, all 22 tracks entered by hand, saved after every 5th track, everything fine. After that: Found the cover photo on Discogs and loaded and saved it. And what happened next? All track data disappeared!!! What the hell is that? I’m close to selling the Uniti Core for cheap. I don’t, but NU, because it sounds great via LAN cable on the Lumin U1 Mini. What kind of a mysterious shop is the Naim IT unit?

Moved my music store to NAS from internal disk. Restored from backup 2 times. One restoration from usb hard disk and then reset and second restoration from a NAS backup. Both times presented “newest music” rips in wrong order. (some of the latest cds i ripped were not first as expected). Any thoughts on this?

Other recent problem with core is that would not permit to make backups on any NAS (i have 2) if the music store is on a NAS