Uniti software update is here!

I have done the reset. But have also read the other thread about it now and understand that this is “new” behavior Naim pushes with the new firmware. Display always switches off after 2 hours despite the setting OFF. I do not want this new behavior, I want it always ON, also after 2 hours of listening. Bet there are more of you ? Who thought of this at Naim ??? What were the considerations when implementing this ?

Before was the same. What is the problem, touch the Control and the display is ON again. After 2 hours it seems to be not important when the Display is ON or OFF without action. For me the function make sense.

I never observed this behavior before, and own it for 1,5 year. I disagree with you that it is not important after 2 hours anymore. Offcourse it is not a “problem”. This is an annaoyance and not user friendly imho. Important is : this is changed, I understand the change is related to a user requirement, but change it then in a way that satisfies all users. Exaclty like Bouba states in the other thread.

It’s always done this for me even before the update. Although there was the odd time it would just stay on.

1 Like

Having spent the weekend listening to the new firmware I’m now a convert I think despite my initial misgivings, the level of detail and nuance is really rather good and it seems the bass has returned, whether that’s just me I’m not sure. I’m listening to Jazz Groove Radio from CA right now and even though it’s just 128k it sounds sublime

1 Like

I’m having massive issues with the remote on my Uniti Atom after the update to OS v. 3.2.0.819 / System v. 3.2.0.4222

If I’m lucky I can get 1-2 button presses through, before the light ring around the navigation key/circle flashes - and all response stops. I’ve figured out that if I wait, and let the lights in the remote dim down, I can sometimes gat another 1-2 button presses through before the cycle repeats itself.

This is such an annoyance, because stuff like menu navigation has to be performed via the remote - leaving me immensly frustrated with my system right now.

I’ve tried the following to no avail:

• Switch from WiFi to LAN
  • Perform a factory reset
  • Paired the remote again
  • Change batteries in the remote
  • Yelled a fair bit

According to the Naim App on my phone, the Remote host version is: 1 - and the Remote firmware version is: 1.2.4 - I can’t find a way to verify if this is the issue after en update to OS v. 3.2.0.819 / System v. 3.2.0.4222

Can someone - ideally from Naim - help me, before I return this unit to the shop I got it from?

Akavit, have you contacted Naim support? It’s a bank holiday in the UK so you will have to wait until Tuesday to contact the factory, but you may get lucky with Uniti support.

Hello Richard,

No I have not tried that, as I was hoping there might have been an easy way around that - someting I had just missed.

I will try and contact support instead - thanks.

I don’t know I’m afraid. But if there is, then I’m sure if any member sees it here then they’ll advise in the meantime.

Same issues here with remote, also failure of digital 4+5 ( TV Optical) many times during watching.
I’am beyond Mystery, real Disaster with this device.
Also Why not dim screen and complete off with pressing the light button on the remote…?
This firmware is not stable, changed the SQ again.
(2.6.1 was serious better, big regrets updating)

I’m sad to hear you have issues with this too - the only positive for me, is that it MUST be a software issue, and not a bricked unit then.

I’ve contacted support, fingers crossed!

Pretty much all functions are accessible via the Naim app, temp solution maybe until you talk to Naim.

Agree 100%
Cant tell right now if I’m happy or not with the change in sound quality.
For some type of music it’s better to have all that separation and brightness but for more complex music I have my doubts

I am happy with the SQ in this update. Plus Airplay 2 seems a lot more reliable than Naim’s multiroom implementation.

My only request would be for the display options to be accessible via remote via one click.

Having spent the weekend with the new update on my nova I’m really happy with it, my atc scm11 like the more open mid and space around vocals. Bass seems now to be pretty much the same as before. All in all well done naim!

2 Likes

Just venting here…

I am getting so frustrated with how schizophrenic the SQ of my Nova is. When I turn it on, I never know if I’m getting Jekyll or Hyde.

The new firmware has exasperated the problem. The sound is now too bright, almost to the point of being uncomfortable to listen to. I appreciate the openness and detail the new firmware provides, but it seems to come at the cost of loosing bass presence and impact, and the highs being very bright, at times harsh.

I am new to being a Naim owner. My Nova and Core are my first Naim products, purchased new 4 months ago. I know many will say it takes up to a year for it to break in, but I have a lot of listening hours logged in four months. The SQ should have started to settle in and not changed so drastically with the firmware upgrade.

I have reset the Nova and swapped cables trying to mitigate my bright sound issue. The system was sounding pretty good prior to the upgrade.

Not sure what to do next…,
Thanks for listening.

2 Likes

I’d say my Nova took more than 4 months to fully break in, and that was with a lot of listening.

It’s exactly how MartyK describes it. I now have the impression that the device can be different in Sound from day to day. Previously, I had only read this from the Atom before and with FW 2.6.1 this phenomen did not exist for me.

I would say that Naim has to change something here (like the previous FW updates). I like improvements, but not so big changes in SQ. Some have optimized everything for months. That does not work like this. There are also other issues with Tidal (1st song), Input issues and the volume control that not respond after the update.

Auto Standby Time.

This is set to 20 mins on my Atom. I’m often listening to a CD/music file and have to fly out the house so knowing that the Atom will go to Standby Mode at the end of the music is reassuring. This feature no longer seems to work for me after the FW update. And yes, I have done a factory reset (annoyingly). The display off is great however.

Anybody else notice this?

Neil

@MartyK I can sympathise with your issues. I have a Nova and experienced similar sq problems, all I can say is that after almost 9 months it generally has improved a lot and stabilised, I actually bought another set of speakers (Dyna S40’s) as I thought my Spendor A7’s were the problem, as it turned out it appears the Nova was the problem, it suddenly came good a few weeks ago despite having about 1500 hours up. A few others have mentioned the 9 month thing also and it seems to be valid somehow. Re the firmware, I dident like it at all initially and noticed the same issues as others have mentioned, after a few days it seemed to settle and the bass has definitely returned, I suspect some of this is just one adapting to it and going through some cognitive funnies but also there does seem to be some actual changes, particularly with the bass as it definitely came good and was not my imagination. My advice would be to stick with it and give the Nova more time and also give yourself more time to adapt to the FW. For what it’s worth my A7’s now sound excellent and it looks like I’ll be parting with the S40’s as they just seem a bit slow and lifeless in comparisson. I’ll probably chop in the Nova and S40’s for a SN2 & NDX2 but thats another story…

1 Like