Uniti software update is here!

Is a factory reset as @raym55 copied from the intructions on the Atom product page different from a ‘Reset all settings’ in the ‘Factory settings’ menu?

What speakers are you using?

I hesitate to reference make and models of speakers, cables, etc. I know a few will find fault with my choices. That being said, my speakers are Paradigm Persona 3F.

Were you on the latest firmware previously Nick?

The problem I believe is that the software running the device can and does have an effect on the sound itself.

So in essence adding new functionality/features/bug fixes/updates to keep some features working changes the code and can alter timing of various routines - the summation of such effects can alter the sound to some extent, so Naim may not be actually trying to change it, though if software updates alone can radically change the sonic character of a device it makes the whole arena rather unpredictable.

In the app apart from the firmware version there should be a DSP version visible too - now perhaps the DSP is tweaked to try to keep the sound consistent or improve it, I don’t know, nor am I clear if some DSP versions are dependent on the underlying firmware.

What is clear from the current and old forum threads is that firmware updates can bring positive or negative experiences for the user, many will see no difference at all perhaps, and this is where I feel a lot boils down to synergy of the device in the overall system, which in most cases is probably not what Naim tests with.

So much of this is also subjective and there are potentials for various forms of bias to affect our perception of a change.

I keep repeating myself but if Naim allowed users to freely revert to older firmware if they thought they preferred the sonic signature of an older version, I think we’d all be a bit happier - you’d have to accept older firmware as is however, warts and all as far as bugs/functionality goes, but at least you’d have a choice, as well as a frame of reference as if you actually could go back and forth you might decide there was little change at all.

I didn’t like the previous 2 firmware releases on my Nova (I think) as much as 2.3.8574.

I find it difficult to assess the current version as I swapped my speakers around the day of release, but for me the implementaion of UPnP gapless and the display off option are very positive.

If you are unhappy with the current firmware then it’s important to send feedback to Naim as they will not be monitoring the forum (AFAIK) looking for positive/negative comments as most of their user base probably does not use the forum often if at all.

1 Like

No it’s the same process.

I once wrote an email to the support concerning the plop issue. The answer was that Naim does not know the problem. That’s a joke! Should I write an email now? I will not do that. The dealer can do nothing, and Music Line (Germany) will do nothing.
Certainly the engineers and developers read here. I believe that in one month there will be another update.
Meanwhile I will buy me a Tellurium Q Black II Speaker Cable :smiley: to compensate.

Pomito, almost a year ago I managed to get a copy of my preferred Nova firmware from support, perhaps with some reluctance as they thought the new one was better. I’m not sure this is still possible.

On the old forum there was a discussion about the previous update, many liked it, some like me didn’t.

I asked if Naim would be happy for me to ‘share’ the old firmware with those who didn’t like the newer one but they advised me against this as they wanted to hear directly from those with issues. I have respected this as their rationale makes sense - if no one tells them there’s a problem/concern they’ll think all’s fine.

Engineers and developers have a life outside of Naim and I sincerely doubt they’ll waste their time looking at forum posts which can often be negative. Same goes for dealers who will generally have a whole portfolio of products to support, not just Naim.

There is a formal way to report issues to Naim - with respect it’s not the forum where our passions can get the better of us.

4 Likes

After doing a firmware update and reset on my Atom I am unable to add radio stations. I can play the Naim presets like Classic and Naim radio OK.
Anyone else having problems?

@CrystalGipsy Thank you for clarifying.

@raym55 I had the same problem. After the deleting the Android app from my smartphone and reinstalling it, it works again. But the station lists in the app load slower than previously.

That worked. Thanks. :+1:

Same here! Really have no idea what to do now.
My system (naim nova, chord signature speaker cables and pmc twenty5 21) was just very musical, with lots of beat to it and pleasant to listen to.
Right now…it just hurts my ears! Too bright and analytical. Like I said previously, sometimes I think it’s a good thing because I’m listening to a lot of details but at the end, I’m not really enjoying it and it just makes me want to stop. I’ve been trying the last days to get into this new sound but it’s really Impossible. And no way I’m going to wait 9 months for a musical change.
Wasn’t This update just about airplay, screen off and some minor bugs!??

I thought this is a Naim forum here. Then it should be normal and also the purpose of this forum, to hear what the customers mean. We all love the Naim devices (I’ve only had the Nova for 6 months and come from a different brand), that’s not the point.

Too many here do not like the new SQ settings.
Maybe Richard could kindly inform the development team about.

Okay, I’m confused now too. There are no instructions to do a factory reset with the upgrade and I haven’t done one. Should I? For the earlier Unitis the instruction specifically say to run a factory reset. The instructions for the new Uniti’s make no reference to do one.

So is it a factory reset or not and what will it bugger up that will need resetting?

It will reset the unit to default settings like when you first pulled plugged it in, so you loose your favourites, any added radio stations, changes to input names , max volume level etc.

Fiddlesticks. So is it needed?

I suspect it’s not needed but provides a placebo effect

1 Like

If your currently happy then maybe not. It’s recommended though. Mine was really slow after the update a reset fixed it.

1 Like

Hi Gents,

We’ve been following this thread at Naim HQ with interest.

Any software update large or small can cause system disruptions - a high quality Hifi system can be a very delicate thing and in some installs it only needs a few grains of rice on the ‘wrong side’ of the scales to upset the balance.

On the v3.2 release it was quite a big software update, with the big hitters like Airplay2, DAB/FM, External UPnP gapless (Audirvana etc) and then misc library updates + a soak up of bugs reported since v2.6.1. One of the areas that delayed the release was in the sound tuning as each change does influence the voicing of the product and then we tweak things to where the listening team are happy that we are equal or better off than the last version. Naturally this can be a subjective matter, but we spend a very long time aiming to get it right and all tuning is purely electrical noise floor related which is incredibly hard to measure & correlate to system performance. All DSP related processing (oversampling filters etc) are identical on each release and the full digital chain is bit perfect.

At Naim we want you to be happy with your system and if this release is really not for you, then please feel free to contact our helpdesk and they will talk you through on reverting for v2.6.1. We would prefer to get to the bottom of the issue though, as older code versions will gain functional issues as time goes by (compatibility with iOS/Android apps + misc streaming services). Consider it only as a short term workaround, or way to diagnose if the upgrade was the issue or its actually another factor.

As usual, if you would like to contact me privately, my door is always open, so pop in for a chat if needed (steve.harris (at) naimaudio.com ). Naturally, use the support teams first as they they have most the answers and solutions to hand.

With regards

Steve Harris
Software Director

5 Likes

I want to share my opinion on the unity series.
For me, there has been a considerable improvement over the sound quality. I see the experience as a package and the musical feeling is at the top. I simply got more presence and much more natural behavior of all instruments. Some people find that the middle register has taken over … I disagree. The base is always present when it really exists. The separation is at the highest level.
You are allowed to correct my English as it is a direct translation on Google.
My system:
Naim Uniti Nova
Naim Allae
Chord Epic Reference 2x3 m
Shunyata research python powercord

Greeting
Vladimir / Sweden

4 Likes