Uniti software update is here!

You don’t have to accept the new software, you simply contact them and revert back to the previous. You are not forced to do anything and nothing is redundant or obsolescent.

I’d have to sort of agree with John on this one, I don’t want a different sounding hifi to what I bought in order to keep up with upgrades, reverting will already deem AirPlay 2 and screen control as just two examples redundant. I’m not that unhappy with the latest fw but the fact that it changes sq bothers me in principle

1 Like

The reply you received from Naim in your post 238 states possible obsolescence if you don’t update.
The number one criteria when selecting hi fi is the sound. If a manufacturer arbitrarily changes the sound he has produced a different product thus altering the original contract.
If a car manufacturer issued a software update which significantly changed its performance all hell would break loose.

Yes, I appreciate it is frustrating for those who don’t like the change in sound. If that is how the technology works, and I have no reason to doubt Naim’s explanation, then we are all left with 2 choices. Go with the new software and sound or stay with the old software and sound. Maybe that’s the compromise with streamers? I don’t really know.

It’s a bugger though if you load the new one and you don’t like it.
I’m sure many would appreciate an easy method to be able to revert to the previous version.
Although Naim have said if you contact them, they are willing to help, It can’t be too difficult to provide a mechanism that would allow you to revert without having to do so.
Personally, I’m ok with the new version.

My point is Naim didn’t forewarn me about the change in sound prior to the upgrade. As the sound quality was the very reason I chose the Nova in the first place it strikes me they have reneged on their part of the contract to buy. A curious situation only made possible by modern technology.

And how would you or Naim know that you liked the new sound until you tried it?

I didn’t want a new sound and never realised I was going to get one as I was very happy with the existing sound.
I updated as it is required to ensure the Nova is future proof.

Understand that everyone’s setup is different, just to add some positivity to this thread after 10 days of listening so far I’m satisfied with the update.

4 Likes

Not true if you want and need airplay 2.

I’ve spent the afternoon listening and the extra openness in the mids is quite lovely, bass is great and drives well and keeps the toes tapping. Can’t understand it being heard as tinny? The new atc tweeter really allows the better top end to shine and sparkle , all in all I love it.

3 Likes

Hi, I purchased my Nova about 8 months ago replacing a mainly Naim separates ,Unitiserve/202/200/hicap dr/napsc/chord hugo 2. What attracted me was a slightly warmer more forgiving of older recordings sound. I would agree the sound has changed since the latest update but still not sure if better or worse. It sounds more like a classic NAIM system to my ears. Yes the bass is thinner but in my opinion replaced with more drive.

I have noted with interest suggestions to do a factory reset. I don’t understand why. If it was necessary surely Naim would suggest it. I can understand the turn it off and on again principle to clear anything in memory from the previous configuration but a reset seems overkill. If I understand correctly I’ll lose my playlists which I have spent quite a bit of time building.

1 Like

I took Steve Harris up on his offer to work with Naim on this issue. We are going to do a ‘regression’ testing of sorts with the firmware. The plan is to revert back to 2.6.1 and incrementally add the functionality updates to the firmware to determine if one of them is causing my (and others) issue of the overly bright high end.

Steve has been very responsive and I believe Naim is taking this issue seriously. I look forward to working with them to hopefully resolve this issue so that we are ALL happy with our Uniti products again.

Marty

3 Likes

Correct. A full reset will wipe everything you have configured.
I didn’t have any playlists but I was dismayed to lose all my programmed radio stations, especially as I couldn’t get them back at first. I had to delete and reinstall the Naim app on my ipad before I could add them.

Naim has lost a lot of sales due to this problem (SQ changes) in our country (and I think in other countries also). I talked to several people and they chose Hegel or Nad because they already knew about this global problem of Uniti range.

If SQ changes are inevitable they must be clearly described in user manuals. Also users must be informed by the dealer before buying product. Otherwise, it is fraud, unfair treatment of consumers.

1 Like

As this is my first Naim product, interested to know if this type of sq change happen with previous uniti range of products with firmware updates?

No it didn’t, at least not in my experience, with a Superuniti, Unitilite and Unitiqute 2 all of which I took through several updates and still use daily.
Best
David

Yes, my Unitiqute 2 was also altered by a previous update, I haven’t checked recently but it is stuck on v2.3.

Also, if the new owners aren’t aware, this has been going on for quite a while with the current Uniti range. Version 2.3 was good & 2.6.1 was acceptable but some of the other ones have been truly awful, it never stops people defending Naim by declaring it the best firmware ever. Blind loyalty I guess.

I don’t agree with missing out on fixes because Naim changes the sound. For example the artwork not changing has been an ongoing problem, I don’t think anyone purchased their units agreeing to this. Everyone who purchased a Uniti has a reasonable expectation that all the advertised features will function correctly- this includes sounding as expected.

I certainly don’t agree with the ‘well it’s software and that’s what happens’ brigade

My request to Naim support for 2.6.1 remains unanswered.

Good for you, to many people moan, but are not willing to get involved. Many of us on the beta testing do not have the problems people complain of. So we are of little help, unfortunately. Thankyou
:+1:

3 Likes

I think many including me are used to the old Naim ways, a certain sound bought into at purchase, then only the boxes (upgrades) we add change that sound.

In the streaming world the firmware also affects the sound, I guess that it becomes a bit marmite like mobile o/s (old phone new software).

3 Likes