Unitiserve - Can enter BIOS Settings

Hi Naim owners,

I’m having a little issue with my Unitiserve. Some weeks ago my Unitiserve start flashing on startup.
I opened it, changed the CMOS batter with the new one, connect it through VGA to HDMI adapter, and I could see standard screen:
Warning! CPU has been changed or CPU ratio changed fail…
Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter SETUP.

So I pressed DEL, but nothing happening, I cant see anything on the monitor.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Nole

Press the other Del key. The one at the top of the keyboard, not the one at the bottom next to the number keypad.

That is exactly what I did. This is exactly the keyboard that I have. Its the brand new keyboard, connected via USB, because it does not have PS2.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
Nole

I see some suggestions online that Alt Backspace pressed together might function as a Del key. You could try that.

Sounds like you are having an issue with screen resolution - try my instructions in the following thread:

Hi @NeilS,

thank you for the answer. Great tip and idea man. I will try it out tomorrow. I am too tired now, started working at 7 and now its 22, and a finished like an hour ago. I have to go sleep soon, otherwise my CMOS battery is gonna get empty :slight_smile:

1 Like

I should have remembered your posting there. I will next time!

1 Like

Alright,

@NeilS I did all according to your instructions.
Now I have Naim Logo screen, but its stays there. Now 15 minutes for sure? Is this normal?
Any idea?

No, that isn’t normal. What were the circumstances surrounding its last power down before changing the battery? Was it a proper shutdown from the front logo, or a hard off due to a power outage etc?
Try doing a shutdown from the logo (if that doesn’t work, you have no choice but to switch off at the back), start it up again & see if it halts at the checksum error again.

Regards
Neil.

I pressed the enter and the screen changed for a second, it was something like “The system is curently…”, it was too fast I could not read it all…

So what happens if you try to shut it down (or switch it off) & restart?

Regards
Neil.

@NeilS sorry for late reply. Well, nothing interesting happening :slight_smile: Still hanging there at Naim logo on the screen.

I always did shutdown my unit correctly. But I can not say that for my ex girlfriend. She might not :slight_smile:

I am just out of luck with NAIM lately. My HDX have DISK error. I contacted local shop here in Switzerland and they told me that they have to send it to UK and that the total cost would be around 1400 CHF. I mean how replacing HDD can cost 1400 CHF? I guess if I ask them for Naim Unityserve, they will give some similar offer.

I don’t know what to do.

Bin them. Its harsh, but they are very obsolete in compute terms. Get a little server hide it away somewhere and forget about it.

Or use the chassis to build a modern server. Its just mini ATX boards in there.

Sure I ain’t gonna dump them. It would be a crime.

I add my contribution that could be useful: while working on Unitiserve I noticed that not all USB keyboards are perfectly compatible, in two cases Unitiserve did not receive the commands indicated on the keys but different commands, I don’t know the reason but this anomaly can be avoided by using old usb keyboards from the win xp or win7 period

Well then, give it to naim and loose circa 600 quid for a device worth 300 on the second hand market. You can get a whole lot of proper modern server for 600 quid.

I can understand your frustrations, especially as you have two problem units.
The only other thing I can suggest you check is that you didn’t inadvertently disturb the SATA connection to the optical drive when you replaced the battery - the unit will not boot if it cannot detect the drive.

Regards
Neil.

1 Like

@NeilS you are the man!
That was it. I actually totally disconnected optical drive. I didn’t assume that it could affect anything.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,
Nole

1 Like

Damn now that’s a result!

1 Like

What can I say. Neil nailed it.

1 Like