Unitiserve not being seen on network

My Router is provided by my ISP so I will call them and see what they have to say, they are usually pretty good with tech support

Hi Gary/Bruss, thanks for keeping up with this one. No I am not too network savey, hence the post.
Is it something a local IT tech should be able to handle?
I have no local Naim dealer as I live in the boonies and it would mean shipping it halfway across Canada.

Possibly the BT box is the router issuing dhcp on 192.168.1.x hence my suggestion to try connecting the US and the PC directly (cat 5) to that router to test.

Iā€™m not familiar with Apple gear but my guess is that a secondary router is set up?

As he is state bound the 10 range is far more common. The reality is he will need a router, ideally not the one in use as things could get messy

OP can you look on your graigslist or what ever for a cheap router, it can be like the cheapest nastiest thing.

What you are are aiming to do is connect your laptop and the userve to it, set its ip range into the same as the serve, run iptool to then find the serve, Set the serve to DHCP, then connect it back up to you main network.

There are a fair number of steps here, its achievable. And to be fair probably a better bet than the -i dread to think cost- and time of sending it back to naim.

I am happy to walk you through it, I have done it myself in the past.

The supplied router is a Arris TG3482ER3, supplied by Shaw Communications Canada.
It does have 2 ethernet ports, and they suggested use another wireless modem in the 192. range connected into the second port in Bridge mode

Have you done that?

Not yet i would have to purchase one, I wanted opinions on wether this might be doable before puchase

Yes seems reasonable to be fair I have never dabbled in bridging etc but seems reasonable with the worse case you could use it on its own anyway to set it back to dhcp

Iā€™m going to step out now. From what you say it looks as though Shawcross are issuing the dhcp subnet addresses on the 10 subnet, nothing to do with an Apple device. If the US is ā€˜stuckā€™ on a 192 address then garyi has it.

Bridging may work but a separate router and tables or table rules would be my old school way of connecting two sub nets. Your provider, presumably Shawcross should be able to advise.

Just a thought for anyone to reply on.

Can Win10 PC be taken off the network, given a manual IP address and connected direct to the US with a crossover cable?

Interesting thought. But the IP tool may have a fit when itā€™s interlocutor suddenly vanishes? Not having used that program myself I donā€™t knowā€¦

Yes, Iā€™m in unfamiliar territory not having the ip tool or the knowledge of what is possible on WIn10.
20 years ago I was an IT pm and would have connected a laptop to a device with a crossover on the MS OSā€™s back then. I understand the US works on a form of windows 7 so if Win10 supports it then it should be possible. No router required. Direct connection, run the IP tool and assign an address to the US in the correct local subnet of the OP.

The US actually runs Windows XP Embedded. I donā€™t know whether that makes a difference. The settings arenā€™t visible to the user anyway.

But anyway the tool should be used to switch the US back to DHCP. If people left this setting alone - lot of heartache could have been saved many times!

Best

David

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.