Unitiserve

Strange comments from some Here. I have never had a problem with my ns01 that can be caused by the operating system itself. The one big issue apart from the power supply that I know nothing about on the userve is that it can need a service if power is cut off to the unit so it is not closed down correctly. My friends 5 year old userve came back from service some weeks ago and I am sure that was the problem a failed disk. However we have not been able to find the documentation for the repair so I cannot be sure about it. The big fantastic feature for some of us on the server is the desktop client making it possible to control the server from a windows pc. If I were to buy a new streamer without that possibility I would go for a Bluesound Node current version. Highres support, supports a lot of streaming services and airplay. The only thing missing is chromecast and no disc inside that can fail in the future.
Claus

I use an ND5 XS2 naim streamer (Supernait 2, Hicap dr)

Those who have read these forums for a while shouldn’t be surprised at the criticisms of the UnitiServe.

Well documented limited ability to control/edit metadata on the UServe’s own rips.

UServe’s own rips by default are to wav, with the metadata in a separate .xml file that no other server can use; migration to a different server in the future requires a bit of work to not lose said metadata.

UServe uses very low res / tiny files for album art. When I migrated away, I ended up re-doing all the art. The art was ‘good enough’ for the little screen on my NDS/ND555, but bigger files look a lot better on the iPad to me.

As for sound quality, I heard no difference when switching to using a Synology or QNAP nas running Minimserver or Asset server.

Anyway, those are my 3 biggest criticisms.

There is no logic to purchasing a unitiserve/hdx today. Lots of better, modern alternatives out there. If its USP is the windows desktop client, then there are far more options out there that do not look like a 1990s database programme for windows NT.

If you can get a unitiserve/hdx/NS02 for the kind of value a similar specced PC would be then I would purchase one all day long.

…and Uniti Core?

I do not have experience of that device, but its more modern is it not? If what you want to do is rip CDs and ‘serve’ them too the network, far cheaper devices exist. You could even get a roon core which rips and a a couple of years of roon membership, a much better proposition in my opinion.

A uniticore, why not. Or Innuos zen mini at half the price.

For me, the way the Unitiserve handles metadata it fine. Others find it limited, especilly for large classical music collections, but it suits my needs pretty well.

This is a non issue. Just use FLAC and the problem does not exist.

1 Like

When you say “better” are you referring to features or sound or the collective package?

There are big differences; for me I was not/ am not interested in features or Roon etc. My priority is sound quality and ease of getting the music into my ears. So, it’s entirely dependent on the priorities of the individual.

Being old, not having this and that feature does not make it less better.

If your only concern is sound quality, for example, you will probably struggle to better it. To better it will probably require a lot of trial and error and nail biting. If that’s not your thing then the Core is an excellent choice, for example.

I don’t have an issue with the quality of the cover art, you can find your own on the web.

1 Like

My goal is only to have a better ripping and better listening. Till adores HDD connected USB and used EAC to rip. I download metadata and cover from the internet.

There have been loooooong threads about whether all bit-perfect rips are the same. It was the usual data vs. what people (think they) hear debate, as usual without resolution.

I can’t backup to PC?
can I edit metadata and information with PC?

You really need to use a NAS for backup. Once set up, this is fully automated, and gives you all the hardware and software you need to keep playing music if there is a problem with the Unitiserve.
You can access the files via a computer, and manually copy them to a backup drive, if you prefer. This is cheap and easy to do, but it’s not an automated process.
CDs ripped on the Unitiserve can be edited on a PC using the Naim Desktop Client. I find it easier to use the N-Serve app on an iPhone or iPad.
Any music that is not from a CD ripped on the Unitiserve should be edited on a computer before you save it on the Unitiserve.

I’m one of the others, especially with regard to compilations which are handled poorly. I’ve ended up creating playlists in situations where each track of the compilation is considered by the US to be a separate album.

Ciao Luigi, da possessore di unitiserve 2TB aggiungo le mie considerazioni.
Le funzioni di rete di unitiserve sono presenti nel ND5-XS2, quindi ti consiglio unitiserve solo se hai necessità di rippare CD e non vuoi procedure macchinose utilizzando PC e software vari. Con unitiserve inserisci il cd e stop. Rippa magnificamente ed è silenzioso, non ha ventole.
Con l’ultimo aggiornamento 1.17c naim ha aggiornato la ricerca dei metadati che comunque sono modificabili da PC con il software naim.
Se hai già un nas cerca una versione SSD, o almeno la versione aggiornata a 2Tb che consente di immagazzinare e riprodurre file fino a 192/24.

Hi Luigi, as owner of unitiserve 2TB I add my considerations.
The network functions of unitiserve are present in the ND5-XS2, so I recommend unitiserve only if you need to rip CDs and do not want cumbersome procedures using PCs and various software. With unitiserve insert the cd and stop. It rips beautifully and is silent, has no fans.
With the latest update 1.17c naim has updated the search for metadata which however can be modified from PC with the naim software.
If you already have a nas look for an SSD version, or at least the version updated to 2Tb that allows you to store and play files up to 192/24.

1 Like

Non ho un Nas (hdd collegato con usb), e mi rippo in flac tranquillamente con EAC dal PC. L’obiettivo sarebbe avere una migliore qualità nel rippaggio e nella migliore qualità di ascolto nella trasmissione del file. Ma questo non è oggettivo. Visto l’investimento sono indeciso se puntare a un Uniti Core o accontentatarmi di un Uniti Serve. Metadati di molti cd che dovrei ririppare li avrei già e non mi pesa modificarli o aggiungere copertine.

I don’t have a Nas (hdd connected with usb), and I rip a flac quietly with EAC from the PC. The goal would be to have a better quality in ripping and better listening quality in the transmission of the file. But this is not objective. Seen the investment I was undecided whether to aim for a Uniti Core I have satisfied with a Uniti Serve. I would already have metadata of many CDs that I should patch up and I don’t mind modifying them or adding covers

In questo caso Unitiserve non è assolutamente un compromesso. Rippi e riproduci in locale, faile da implementare nel sistema. Usato lo trovi a circa 1/3 del costo di un nove. Cerca la versione da 2Tb, più versatile. Ls prima serie in alcuni casi ha problemi di meccanica.

In this case Unitiserve is absolutely not a compromise. Rip and play locally, easy to implement in the system. Used you can find it at about 1/3 of the cost of a nova. Look for the more versatile 2Tb version. The first series in some cases has mechanical problems.

Cosa intendi per prima serie? Quella da 1 tb da aggiornare? 2013 2tb è già la versione recente?

What do you mean with the first series? The 1 tb one to update? 2013 2tb is already the recent version?

Better take the 2tb. You can store downloads too on it.

It’s not the same. I ripped a CD to USer, playback on it (via DAC V1) and the CD on CDX2, the CD quality is better