Unni Pizza Oven

a discrete one, for IB

GreameH. What’s your recipe for the dough and sauce ?

Just as crucial as the cooking.
I once worked in a pizzeria, and what went in - with quantities - into the dough machine was top secret.

1 Like

Hi Graeme
I have one and agree completely with you, easy to use, makes great pizza and is whole load of fun to use. The kids love it to, making their own pizzas is a sure way to get them to sit down and eat.

The key is ‘Tipo 00’ flour. We use a Panasonic bread-maker, which aerates a treat.

The sauce, if we do a proper batch to freeze for pasta too, is a friend’s ‘Italian Mama’s’ recipe (I kid you not). You need patience…but mama-mia it is good!

Heat some olive oil in pot (I use a medium size soup pot)

Fry off meat (Valvona’s Italian hard dried sausage/s if you have them and about 1.5lb of boiling beef – tied with string ; I have also made it just with beef and made it up to 2lb, ask butcher for 2x1lb in string – easier for pot!)

Add a handful of chopped celery leaves with soft stalk (not hard outer stalk) – pick one in the supermarket that has lots of central leaves!

Add garlic – 4 large cloves (or more if you prefer)

FRY

Add salt/pepper

Add 3 tins of chopped tomatoes (any Italian named tins) and cook for 45mins-1hr

Add 1 large jar or carton of Passat and cook for 2hrs

At the end add 2/3 very small tins of concentrated tomato puree (I usually fill these tins with water and add to sauce, if at any time it’s too thick you can add water or more puree if not thick enough)

Adding bay leaves to cooking sauce is optional but I tend to throw in a couple during cooking.

If doing a quick sauce just some chopped tomato garlic basil butter & olive oil.

G

6 Likes

Sounds good. We just go to the wonderful Italian deli down the road!:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Try the Good Food Show in June at the NEC. They’ve usually got some there - and at show prices.

We’ve done that, but our fan oven only gets up nominally 230C (446F), while the larger non fan is nominally 250C (482F). The result isn’t as good as pizzas cooked in really hot ovens - I think wood ovens are typically between about 350C (662F) to as high as 500C (932F). The Ooni and Chadwick both claim to reach 500C, while the G3Ferrari claims 400C (752F).

It depends of course on the type of pizza, lower temperatures being needed fir thicker pizzas, but then the taste is different.

The Chadwick is expensive, but you can use it all year round. Gets very hot, so you also have to watch burning the pizzas (turn it down and open the door for a couple of minutes every few pizzas). I also use it to make pitta bread. It takes only a few minutes to heat it up on a gas hob (which I have) - so great convenience. If you do not have a gas hob, it wouldn’t be so convenient.

It does much better than pizza stones in a hot oven, even with the stones with a heating element through it (as my Gaggenau oven has). They just don’t get hot enough on top.

UUNI is 600-800 deg wood fired. It cooks a proper (thin) pizza in about 2min including a turn. It’s the intense heat and beech wood that gives it that delicious authenticity.

G

That sounds absolutely amazing, but not sure the AVPN would whole heartedly approve.

Wow, that is hot. When we use our oven we set it at 450. Seems to work well-enough, but it would be interesting to see what the difference would be with more heat. Installing a wood-fired forno would breach our by-laws, but that’s not to say there aren’t a few around anyway. As long as you’re not making a lot of smoke, people tend to not be bothered, I think.

Yep, I gathered that! V.tempting!

Graeme,enjoy your pizza.Very interesting.

1 Like

Still brand new:

Getting hot with pellets:

Fire in the hole!

Gas is neat, too:

The final result, a bit rustic but tasty!

4 Likes

@GraemeH
Is yours the small Ooni (~£200)?

@watchet
And is yours the Pro (~£500)?

Nope, mine is Uuni3, customed with thermometer.

Mine is the uuni 3 £200 model.

G

Thanks guys. As I said, I had been contemplating - and this thread has swung it, just looking for best place to order! :grinning:

1 Like

Great idea with the homemade thermometer!

I’m sold, I make a Pizza once a week at the weekend but this looks like a much more fun way of making one and must be much more tasty!:pizza::pizza::pizza:

1 Like

We’ve never found the need for a thermometer. It goes from zero to f#cking hot in no time!

John Lewis was where we got ours.

Enjoy

G