Unni Pizza Oven

Ordered and waiting! It seems theres been a bit of a run on them as several places have no pellets in stock! (Must be this thread!)

Now to try to learn how to make them round… every time I’ve made pizzas they’ve been, shall we say, amorphous - but getting them more even is probably is beneficial with a small oven.

One thing I’d recommend is an extra uuni slide/tray to have one prepared on and one to use as a slide. Ensure a nice even dusting of flour on the tray & slide for easy in/out/turn.

Once you get the hang of it it’s great fun. Especially after a glass or three!

G

A glass of three is akways good!

Thanks for tips. Is the stock ‘peel’ good enough? I did wonder as it doesn’t seem to have a handle.

Yes it is. Just make sure to have two.

G

Do mine, lamb joint roasting and BBQs in a large Big Green Egg. Got mine 6 years ago and still good as new. Ceramic so no more rusting BBQs. It’s also an excellent smoker.

1 Like

Very happy with my egg also. Purchased in 2006 and only changed the gasket once.
Looking forward to using in combination with my new sous vide.

1 Like

A new world opening up to me - not heard of the green egg or unni before this thread! Has been thinking of getting a new bbq but these look interesting possibilities

The green egg I’ve seen is a barbecue with a pizza stone available rather than a pizza oven, and although it sounded good as a barbecue that can be adapted to do pizzas I’ m not sure from when I looked that it achieved the very high temp nor whether it heats up as quick as the Ooni. Also very expensive, the smallest one about £750, though it sound like the Rolls Royce of barbecues.

1 Like

Aldi had their version for about £350…sold out virtually overnight.

1 Like

It’s a cult; just like Naim

Just make sure that you tighten the metal hoop around the lid periodically. I didn’t after using it for the first time after last winter and saw said lid crash onto the patio. Sourcing a replacement was easy but not cheap.

So the message for all these BGE owners out there is…Always check your nuts!

Temperature goes very high indeed. It’s almost crucible like which is what I do periodically when I want to burn off the internal ceramics.

Thanks - I had found the site already. Nearly fell over when I saw the price of the biggest one (£3k) though the smaller ones aren’t so bad. I am a bit wary of spending lots on something like this which we might not use very much - the unni looks like a good option for interesting food prep

1 Like

We spent £1300 on ours 5 years back. It’s on a mahogany base and still looks as good as the day we bought it. Much better than all those steel BBQs we got through over the years and looks better for sure.

1 Like

In case anybody is interested, there is a gas-only fired unni called the Koda for £250 - looks like an interesting fuss-free alternative to the pellet-fried basic job

Good tip - I’ve never checked mine.

Pizza oven chaps – how much pizza do you eat?? To justify a dedicated pizza oven.

I’ve owned a BGE since about 2011, and whilst it was a bit of an investment back then, it’s very versatile – grilling, smoking and baking are all doable. Roasted whole chickens done at 450 degrees F. are wonderful in it!

EDIT: Some of the bolt-on hardware for my BGE is rusting – the lower air vent hardware for example needs to be replaced but the bolts look rather rusted tight.

Yes, I saw that, too. It was tempting if only because without a chimney so taking up less room when not in use. However, wood is widely held as the best, and for myself I decided to give the wood one a try, knowing that I can buy a gas burner add-on food £65 if I don’t get on with the pellets.

Mine is due to have been delivered today - so I may get to try this w/e, weather and time to play permitting…!

WD40 every so often keeps the rust away. Just don’t spray it on the food😄

Pizza - not often, simply because the domestic oven simply isn’t as good at cooking them as a proper one.

The big green thing looks interesting, but very expensive, though I believe there are clones quite a bit cheaper. Maybe if we didn’t already have other things it would seem better value, but we have a benchtop (indoor) halogen-lamp powered mini high temp oven that cost about £70 and is perfect for roast chicken or duck - even Peking duck, and we also have a standard charcoal barbecue (nothing fancy, cost around £30, 12 or 13 years ago).

On the subject of alternatives, I know someone with what we have nicknamed a dalek. It’s body is about the size and shape of a 45 gallon drum, made of double skinned stainless steel, with a charcoal burner that slots from beneath into a hole in the middle of the bottom, and a circumferential hanging rail inside the top rim. It can roast 8 ducks or chicken at a time hanging from the rail, or high temperature Char-Sui Chinese style high temperature roast pork all, very quickly and efficiently using surprisingly little charcoal. We were offered the opportunity when he got his, and I in some ways I regret that we turned it down, though it was simply too big for single family use (He uses it to prep food for a Chinese tafeaway) It only cost about £120, amazing for the construction, though as a direct import from China