Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Really? Youā€™d imagine the tolerances of the ā€˜spindleā€™ would differ but maybe not. I think it was suggested that a new outer platter might be good with the new inner but I didnā€™t bother when I went for the Karousel.

I think the problem with Karousel is that many of us ā€˜went for itā€™ when it was effectively free if you spent Ā£3000 on other stuff, so it was pretty difficult to decide which bits were changing the sound and to what extent as several parts changed at once.

Iā€™m not certain I like the changes much either even if the sound is less coloured - great on some albums but thin on others which may be more accurate but less pleasing. That said Iā€™m not sure my phono stage is quite right despite having it serviced a couple of years ago (Linto).

2 Likes

Itā€™s just groove noise and pops and ticks so nothing to do with the turntable. I guess I became too picky when digital got so great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thereā€™s been a lot of ropey vinyl released in recent years - loads of surface noise and blemishes.

2 Likes

The noise has a lot to do with the turntable I would say.If the LP12 i set up correctly and the cartridge is in good condition, the musicality shines in a way digital canā€™t match and the noise
becomes irrelevant to me.
But good that you like my old NDS :grinning:

3 Likes

From the mighty Guru himself and I quote

ā€œWhen the belt is new easy to identify rough and smooth side . Rough side should be on the inside as grips the pulley and platter to assist in rotation ā€œ

Makes sense - I guess gets tricky when belt gets older and worn to identify rough and smooth side

:crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

Position smooth side on the inside ,against motor pulley.

Have a read of my response above from my Linn Naim dealer of 35 years + - itā€™s a quote from him this morning

Heā€™s been wrong for 35 + years :wink:

1 Like

Well, the good news is that both sides of the belt look the same, and I also rechecked the VTF and it was fine.

What about the braces, these are equally important donā€™t you know :wink:

Look a little closer, there are a difference.

Never tried that :wink:

I would say the other way round ha :crazy_face:

Sure,if you think it sounds better then it is better for you.

Just to complicate matters, having found the right side, you can then decide which direction sounds better.
I am sure there was also a double check, take the belt off, hang it over something narrow like the edge of a ruler. The belt hangs with a slightly different curve depending which side is in. Peter Swain @Cymbiosis kindly marked the outside for me, but said to listen to establish which direction. Iā€™ve scanned the setup files from his website, but I didnā€™t find anything about the belt.
Of course, once you have that sorted, then you can try clocking the platter, you can find the instructions on the Collaro website. That is a some say it works, some say it doesnā€™t. I found it more obvious when I had a Lingo 4 than with the A Radikal 1.

1 Like

I feel Iā€™m back to square one as to what to do with this darn LP12 :smile:

1 Like

Ha - just enjoy it as it is Mike for some time

You will sort it out

2 Likes

Add a little bit more weight to the cartridge tracking force, and see how you get on

1 Like

Me? Itā€™s at 1.75, top of the recommended range of 1.25 to 1.75, thought it was at 2.00 when I bought it. Will in sit down more for a bit more cohesion?