Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

From experience it will sound different. For me the unserviced equipment sounds “harsh” but the harshness obviously takes time to creep up on you so its not really something you notice until you get a freshly serviced unit back. Its quite an obvious change. I found the same sort of change for all my equipment, 52 has been serviced once and my 72 was serviced twice. I have always tried to service the equipment at the 10 year point, and all my kit has been olive until this year when I added the NDX2 and 555PS

1 Like

Nice system you have @haydj. When I got my 82 and 135s serviced it was a big improvement fresh from service and got better once burned in.

With the 52 and Supercap 2 they are borderline on whether they need servicing so will be interesting how it sounds.

Another upgrade I guess as well as speakers and the 52, which is an improvement on 82. But not as massive improvement and impact speakers have had.

Salisbury is a lot closer to you than Sheffield and someone mentioned on the thread that their dealer had told them about dropping their equipment off at Naim instead of going through a dealer.

Not sure if you’d get it done in one day but maybe if you arranged it they could do it over two, but you’re so close it wouldn’t matter.

You could drop it off and pick it up when ready.

1 Like

It’s 2 hours to Salisbury and 2 hours back. If they can’t get it done in a day then that’s 2 trips. Sheffield is 4 and half hours one way and overnight stay. Then journey back.

I thought you had to go through dealer for Naim to service. It says on Naim website that only under exceptional circumstances will they accept a product direct from a customer. I am not sure that they will accept routine service as part of that.

Having spoken to Darran, I can send units to him or go up there in person. A pretty much guaranteed one day turn around is idea beingl 99% means I won’t be without my system.

3 Likes

The likelihood of Naim doing it in a day is zero. A couple of weeks maybe, with a fair wind. Darran provides great service and is both cheaper and quicker. It seems the obvious thing to do in your situation. When he did stuff for me, I sent it on a Monday and it was back by Friday. I’m not sure I’d have driven to Sheffield, but a short break is always nice.

2 Likes

I just heard someone on the forum say recently that they’d been into their dealer and asked about service and the dealer had told them to take it to Naim themselves.

Which goes against everything I’ve heard in the past, then I think Richard D said he’d look into it.

When are you going to Sheffield?

1 Like

I have had my Naim boxes serviced by both Naim and by Darran.
Darran has always been able to service several of my Naim boxes on the day. His service has been consistently much quicker, less expensive and yet just as good as Naim’s own.

Best regards, BF

2 Likes

This is the thread about taking it direct to Naim. Not sure what the outcome or end result was as I never got to the end of the thread.

1 Like

Sounds like its easier, quicker and cheaper to get Darran to sort it out. I have promised him the work anyhow. I dont change my mind on things like that.

I am looking at early September. Will drive up in afternoon, stay in hotel or B and B overnight and then drive to see Darran. What is there to do in Sheffield for 5 or 6 hours? :thinking:

4 Likes

The hi-fi dealer Moorgate Acoustics has the premises downstairs from Darran and they also have a superb secondhand record shop in their basement as well, although prices are a bit spendy. Worth a crate diving mooch for an hour or so.

Good move getting the new kit serviced - I was genuinely surprised at the uplift the refurb gave my CB NAIT2.

2 Likes

There is a very nice park in walking distance of Darran’s workshop.

If you walk towards the Starbucks, which is on the right hand side of the road, and keep going, then on your left a few hundred yards further on there’s a track up to large park where you can easily walk for an hour or two.

Generally muddy underfoot.

Another good option would be go for a swim.

Try to do 50 or 100 lengths.

Then you will enjoy your lunch!

1 Like

Thanks @JimDog and @YetiZone. Those ideas are great, should keep me busy for the day.

Always good to look at used vinyl and go for a walk and lunch of course.

2 Likes

Then you have the Peak District on your doorstep.
Ladybower reservoir & dam plus Derwent reservoir & dam where the dambusters practised, Castleton & the blue john mines.
Then there’s Mam Tor and the now closed Sheffield to Manchester trunk road which was closed as it slid down the south side of Mam Tor.
All wonderful walking country for a 5 hour trip or the best part of a week, depending on the time that you have.
Lots of great food & real ale pubs too.

Best regards, BF

3 Likes

Last time I went to Darran I went for a walk in the hope valley all day. There’s some lovely B&Bs around there and more importantly some really nice Pubs. Steak and Chips and beer. :blush:

2 Likes

WAX Records and Moorgate Acoustics hifi shop and Naim dealer, all in the same building as Darran at Class A.

2 Likes

A football match - Wednesday or United - would take up two hours or so.

1 Like

You can time the visit for the Snooker??

1 Like

I’ve ordered two more powerlines for the 135s. They are on powerline lites at present.

With the servicing costs costing £800, these upgrades are coming in at £11250. With sale of 82 should be able to keep it within £10k budget just about.

And then sit back, enjoy the music and rest easy.

The speaker upgrade has made the most difference. The switch from 82 which was serviced to 52 was more subtle, but better. The powerline to the block no discernible difference.

I think its a case of incremental improvements and maintaining a great system. The powerlines for 135s will make a difference I am sure.

Once servicing is done it will be epic! Or more than that as it is epic already! :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Got the powerlines set up now. One to mains block and one on each 135. Sounds slightly different. Early days. I would say first thoughts are a bit more punch and weight.

Subtle but there. Need to listen to different music and different sources to ascertain improvements.

I must admit system sounds f***ing awesome

4 Likes

Speaking to my 15 year old son and he says it sounds different as well. He said punchier and louder and darker.

A subtle difference. But noticeable. His ears are better than mine and he could tell the difference. Looks like one powerline on block and the other 2 on power amps works well.

I pushed the IECs in as fully as I could, they went in and then went in further but maybe they can go in further still. I didn’t feel resistance as such. I don’t want to break them but maybe they don’t go any further in on 135s?

The glass and ball bearing starting moving around and a ball bearing fell off the Fraim and decided to leave alone for tonight.

1 Like