Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Agree Paul it should be a big step up in SQ, it certainly was for me and from what I’ve read on this forum , for most Linn owners

1 Like

If the cart really is past its best it may be that the benefits can’t be appreciated as the cart is the limiting factor?

2 Likes

Hi Dan,
If the dealer said the cart is on the way out, why not change it. No idea how much that Dynavector costs, but I would do that and not the Krystal. The lower Linn MC carts can be bettered by other makes and so would consider that at a later stage. In the meantime get a new 10x5

2 Likes

The dealer suggested changing the cart. He said that with the Dynavector 10x5 it doesn’t fail to start with, it justs a little off. When I told him it was 4 years old he said it may be worth changing out.

I will probably swap the Dynavector 10x5 for the same soon.

The LP12 is sounding better since I adjusted the tracking.

I will see how it goes.

1 Like

I don’t know that dynavector Dan, only the XV1S which sounded amazing on a Michel GyroDec with a Naim ARO

All I will say is beware of cheaper Linn carts below Akiva and Kandid. I did not like them

1 Like

Unfortunately it’s not easy to demo carts unless the dealer has lots of LP12s set up.

I am going on dealers recommendations. If I go for another 10x5 it will be discounted as an exchange to £479.

The Krystal is 3 times that cost and then there is the K board issue as it’s BNC connectors so toneam cable would need to be adapted. But Krystal is meant to be alot better.

I see another dealer sells demo 10x5s for £399.

I will see how things go. Got other things going on with health and other matters so am prioritising those at the moment!

1 Like

Quit fretting about the HiFi and wishing you all the very best and hoping you get some good news

2 Likes

Exactly,

Consultants on tuesday. Let’s see what they say. I think it will confirm what they already know. Cancer spread to liver. Hopefully they will have a plan of action.

So the news is unlikely to be good. Good news would be scan was a mistake and there is no cancer! I think it will be more likely what they can or will do.

I’m with you Mtuttleb however haven’t heard the likes of the Kendo etc

I tried the Krystal and didn’t get on with at all so moved onto the Kandid which is a beauty and have on both my LP12’s

2 Likes

Yes, I’m curious about that as well, but I suspect it is no Akiva. However, the prices are the same as when I bought my Akiva in 2005. I know you can’t compare things like that but it does put all these price hikes into perspective with Linn. I’m more tempted towards Lyra which seem more reasonably priced and I see some people saying good things about the Delos and Kleos

Wishing you all the best for today @Dan_M and hope it goes well

14 Likes

Thanks much appreciated. Looking at whether they can do a liver resection now. Operation could be imminent. If they can’t operate looking at life expectancy upto 2 years and greater than 12 months. Operation has slim chance of success. But it’s worth a go!

I am trying to remain positive but it’s difficult news.

Thank you so much for your support. Love you guys!

4 Likes

And there’s me feeling sorry for myself because I have a bad case of bronchitis. Well, your great attitude to your situation has inspired me to get off my arse and MTFU.

I can’t imagine being in your shoes right now @Dan_M, but know this, you are an inspiration to me, I admire how you are handling this in here, and I sincerely hope things take a turn for the better.

2 Likes

Thanks Graeme. I have had a lot of counselling in preparation for this kind of news.The good news is that it is just one area on the liver and nowhere else at the moment!

Things could be worse. Hopefully they can resection the liver. Should find out fairly soon.

2 Likes

I hope you get well soon. I don’t feel ill. Just carrying on as normal. Let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Really pulling for you here, Dan, and hoping for the very best outcome. Sending love and all good wishes from Canada.

3 Likes

@Dan_M Dan, I’ve been following your story for a while and been so utterly impressed with your approach to life. Had been wondering how you got on today and now really hope that the op is successful. All the best.

1 Like

Well, that sucks. Go well Dan.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I feel that knowing what I am now fully dealing with helps. I am in process of getting my house in order with legalities and so on. Looking after my children should I pass away is paramount to me.

Unfortunately I am having to put off some of my desired upgrades for now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

To change subject the Karousel is now sounding great. Cartridge sounds fine to me right now. It’s a case of slow start and dealer commenting how old is the cart?

Which is fair enough. Cart is about 4 years old but I haven’t used it that much. Can certainly wait until the new year and a new dawn with my fresh liver resection.

I will be reborn! And then a new cart and perhaps more upgrades! Or downgrades. Who knows?

If I downgrade I think CDS2 and XPS2 will be out the door yet again and perhaps sell the Focal Aria 936s in the conservatory. Should bring in £3500. I would consider getting rid of 135s for non DR 500 in it’s place. I am looking at having less components if things should go downhill.

Preparing for worst. Hoping for the best.

Best wishes to everyone!

15 Likes