Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Lovely sounds good. Of course it is the best arm for the Linn. Runs for shelter ……. :joy:

1 Like

Well, it will be halfway there!

Just need Keel, Radikal 2 and better cart. Oh and Ekos SE. :joy:

1 Like

I did have the Lingo 1 serviced and the mains inlet modded by Darran.

The deck just had Karousel done recently at dealers. My stuff is in and out of there all the time. Have managed to listen to all new classic stuff and Rega Naia.

Now that’s a nice turntable. No fuss.

1 Like

I think Nigel is right though, the Lingo 1 even with the mains filter removed can be bettered by a long way with a later lingo. Even a lingo 2 is much better but I feel as Im about to be stoned with a load of old chestnuts pretty soon :joy:

2 Likes

I got a good deal on it tbh. Got a good px for the Akito. The Akito did well, having had it 5 years. Time for a change. Phono stage have had for 5 years as well. Hope Tom Evans The Groove plus SRT gives some Improvements.

1 Like

Well, I will wait and see on that one. I am looking out for them used.

Lingo 2 is a lingo 1 in a full size case.
Later they were the same with some surface mount components but the only real change was lingo 3 new surface mounts and a different earth arrangement.

3 Likes

I feel this is about to turn into a very lengthy debate on how much the lingo 2 mains filter messes up the sound of a Naim system :joy:

Well it’s just an idea, and not relevant if you are thinking Radikally. There’s just so much you can do with a Linn, and it’s finding a build that makes sense as a package, with no obvious weaknesses or things that stand out as obviously better. The Lingo 4 with Ekos 2 seems a sensible whole, while the Radikal maybe seems more appropriate with an Ekos SE. And then you get into the whole Urika thing. The best I got my Linn to was an Aro with Arkiv, and Armageddon power supply. It was really lovely.

1 Like

Agreed. Since when has @Dan_M not been a Radikal thinker.

Personally, I think he should get shot of both the CDS2 and LP12 and enjoy the best source he has…. The streamer :crazy_face:

So there, I’ve said it now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

My dealer reckons Radikal 1 is better than Lingo 4. The Linn Upgrade path gives so many options! Maybe I should try an Armageddon.

1 Like

Yes. But what am I gonna do with all my vinyl! I enjoy my record collection and playing it. Maybe a Fisher Price? :joy:

Logical. Maybe simplifying things isn’t a bad idea. Go 500 system no turntable.

Dealer suggests Linn carts with Urika. So becomes another issue!

Blimey. Now that would be Radikal. It’s what made me sell my Linn back in the day; I wanted a CDS3 and keeping two top sources was just too much money. The Linn upgrades are both a blessing and a curse. Maybe Dan should forget Linn and get a Rega Naia. Fit and forget.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying with 3 sources and the NDS with ND5XS2 has won. I am now trying to get the LP12 a fair bit better. And loose the CDS2. Have had 2 of them and a CDS3. The Naim CD players aren’t repairable going forwards (long term).

The Rega Naia is very very good. Will see how LP12 sounds with the changes. If it’s not working for me, I may have to ditch it altogether. Lingo 4 maybe last on list. Good call HH.

The Rega turntables are easy to set up, look modern and cool and the Naia sounds amazing.

What’s the Rega Plana 10 like?

2 Likes

I was just about to bring that up. Were you reading my mind :thinking:

Also yes you had a re-flirt with vinyl with the RP10. If you don’t mind me asking how long did that last and why did you not keep it? I do like the simplicity of your Nova setup

I fully agree 3 sources can be a serious drain especially trying to max out an LP12

1 Like

Just caught up with this thread, first most important thing is @Dan_M’s health, everyone’s with you there fella.

Second, to vinyl or not? tried without for quite a period and yet every time I heard a good TT I realised what I was missing and eventually ended up with the Xerxes after extensive demos which has been with me now 14 years. As to which is better, that’s not the point the presentation is just different so even a Rega P3 will do things which my CDS3 can’t. I do wonder though if a top end Rega might be an option?

52/552 - both absolutely fantastic amps that will form as a hub for a high end system. A demo will reveal all!

Regards,

Lindsay

2 Likes

Everyone knows that a well setup LP12 trounces anything that Roksan have to offer. Just ask Peter if in doubt Lindsay :joy: