Upgrade advice 52 or 552 or Radikal 1 Urika upgrade to Lp12

Update for all following this thread. Decision made used Radikal 1. My dealer has one or maybe more. Have asked him for a price. Turntable sounds fantastic with Ekos 2, Dynavector XX2 MkII cart and new MC phonostage Tome Evans The Groove + SRX power supply. So now looking at Radikal 1 to build on what I have. Exciting times. With my cancer diagnosis I decided that life is too short and to go for it. Thw Lingo 1 is serviced so should get good price for it. Let’s see what dealer comes back with.

16 Likes

You’ll love it Dan, all the best, Ian :+1:

1 Like

Way to go Dan! You knew you wanted one :slight_smile: and this will give you more peace in your LP12 adventure.

I will drop off mine tomorrow to also have a used (Klimax) Radikal 1 fitted among some other things. Already looking forward to soon sharing our being blown away.

3 Likes

Hi Dan
Yes we have to do something that makes us feel good everyday…… Enjoy your new upgrades …. but we also have to find that balance if that makes sense.

2 Likes

I thought I sent the email to Audio T to order the Radikal 1 but checked by mail and I didn’t. Maybe this is an omen to wait and see.

As it turns out warning light came up on my car and have to wait until 27th Feb to get it looked at. Drivetrain error on BMW 520D manual.

I want the Radikal but if BMW repair is expensive I may have to postpone things further!

Have you had your LP12 Radikal’d @daddycool ?

1 Like

I had that message come up on my BMW M40D a while back (Nov 2023). It happened just before I parked at an airport to go to Venice. When I came back all was good again. No message and nothing untoward has happened since. So it may be nothing to worry about unless it continues to warn.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about you BMW @Dan_M and I hope that indeed it is just a sensor gremlin as @MrFixit experienced, and all will be ok.

Yes had a full afternoon at the dealer on Thursday rather than a drop-off. It’s all too fresh for a write-up, but I’m enjoying myself.

2 Likes

I turned it over this morning and same message has come up. I’m driving the van instead! The Independent mechanic said it may be a sensor and said it will probably be okay to drive. Would rather not risk it.

That’s so annoying, and given that it makes you take the van I was wondering if there isn’t another dealer somewhat near you that could do the check earlier, or the AA?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the radikal @daddycool! Sure you’ll be enjoying it so much you won’t have time to type! :grinning:

Hi Dan.
I hope things are Ok.
As you know I did a mega upgrade to my LP12 in 2005 which is nearly 20 years ago :flushed:
From 2013 until now, it was hardly used. I love my streamer and the access to music with that.
Whatever you do enjoy the upgrades but I have the feeling that with the last upgrade and the one for karousel that you could easily live with what you have after a nice upgrade with the Ekos2, DV cart and TE groove.

That’s a shame. In my case the car was left for several days. I don’t know if that would make a difference though.

I’m sure your BMW delaer will sort it out, but it might be expensive :frowning: - I dread taking mine in, but I don’t do too many miles now so its only once a year.

Better buy a Skoda - more reliable!! :wink:

I’m using an independent local garage. BMW charge a fortune. It’s a 10 year old car. It’s very nice but try to avoid main dealer.

2 Likes

Maybe, but I don’t like Skodas! The car is used for weekends and thw kids. I drive the van during the week. Tbh I don’t really need the car. It’s a nice to have.

Almost @Storm1 :slight_smile: so many changes at once!

Power supply Hercules to Klimax Radikal 1, bearing Cirkus to Karousel, tonearm Jelco TS-550-S to Ittok LVIII mk1, cable Jelco to Audio Origami. Kept the Trampolin 2, Majik subchassis and cartridge.

The dealer already warned me it would take a few days to come on song. The deck was stripped to plinth and top plate before reassembly with a bunch of new or new to the deck parts. Indeed the first day the whole sound changed every 10 minutes, and even now some nuances are still changing. So some patience is in order.

This is the first time I have a Radikal here at home, after having heard it many times at my dealer. And I’m kind of flabbergasted. It’s not so much being blown away in the sense of a big improvement within the same paradigm as a Lingo 4 likely would have been. It now really is a different deck altogether (for the better) and my ears are still reprogramming my brain. It’s fun playing my records.

2 Likes

Wow @daddycool, that is a lot of changes in one go! No wonder it’s taking a bit of brain re-adjustment!

Yeah, the Karousel itself takes a bit of bedding in and found the same in that it changed with every record over the first week or so. But, like you I did radikal at the same time. What I did notice pretty quickly was the bass. Loads more.of it with Karousel and radikal… Super tight and tuneful, but much more depth and force to it.

I switched from Armageddon 2 and the difference was like you say, a completely different deck and sound. All for the better I may add. It just changed all my records as to what I know. Details I’ve never heard before, much more life to previously flat sounding recordings… a really fundamental improvement. Hugely impressed with mine.

It’s so nice when the upgrades you make, give you a whole new record collection to rediscover.

Enjoy your weekend getting to know your collection again with new ears!!

1 Like

Thanks, we’ve managed to avoid it so far but let me then fittingly call it Radikally different :grin:

1 Like

Did you go for it in the end Dan?

I suppose it would be a big step up from a lingo 1 with mains filter removed. I only listened to a lingo 1 with filter removed to a lingo 2. The latter was clearly the better power supply for the motor. I am curious to hear one of these maxed out LP12s. They must be pretty good

1 Like

I am going to wait things out. See what happens with my chemo and my work situation. And the car as well. It doesn’t seem the right time. Not sending the email to the dealer is an omen. I thought I had.

I will know when the time is right.

At the moment I am better off bringing money in rather than spending it.

5 Likes