Upgrade from NAP 110 To 250

I’m also looking forward to the Nap 250 and keep the 110.
As far as the speakers are concerned, I will look for new ones.
spendor BC range or at least SBL that is another question.

the Nap 250 is connected and warmed up.
the 110 is a great music machine … but
the 250 brings more delicacies to the foreground, everything becomes more tangible
the bass is firmer … the sound has changed

Sounds good. Unlike some, I didn’t notice a particularly big change once already warmed up but did feel things improved a little after 24-48 hours further running - the music just gelled a little more.

Have you noticed a more natural pace with some music or not really?

what struck me … the individual instruments are more firmly in the room. the bass is dry with emphasis.

but i’m not a connoisseur i just want to hear good music.

after more than a week with the Nap 250 CB I am back at Nap 110.
the 250 is definitely better in some areas but the old 110 just sounds nicer and plays music more smoothly.

well the 250 was overhauled maybe it takes more time … no matter the Nap 110 is running and I will find a new friend for the Nap 250.

as the saying goes “the grass on the other side is always greener”

1 Like

You’ve missed a rather key word from that saying! I’d give the 250 a month then see how you feel. Don’t listen for differences, just get a feel of which gets you closer to the music.

1 Like

Have you considered what you are doing to the prices of used NAP110s for the rest of us?! ;-))

oh … that was certainly not intended but so many 110s will no longer be out there :smile:

1 Like

Ok will see how it work out Thank you

1 Like

My nap 110 is already out of service for me. Since the transformer broke down, I’ll find a snaps or another nap 110 that is need of service. Then use the transformer.

Do you find the sound quality more smooth (i.e. smoother vocals or cymbols) or do you find the music more smooth (i.e. more flowing, coherent and easy to follow) ?

It is worth using the 250 for a month (leaving it continuously powered on) as suggested by HH, although I doubt the fundamental character will change enough to make you change your mind. I still think it’s worthwhile though as otherwise you may look back with uncertainty as doubt grows over time that you gave it long enough.

1 Like

If you’ve been used to how a 110 sounds over a long period of time it’s difficult to replace it with anything else IME. If your speakers aren’t too hard to drive then it might just be the best sounding amp no matter what. It took me several (failed) attempts and a change of speaker stands before an olive 250 finally ousted my long serving 110.

1 Like

How does a nap 100 compare to a 110?

the speakers currently need little power, so the 110 fits,
but I am thinking of buying some Linn sara Isobarik.
I would like to clarify again what is really better for me and only for me 110 or 250 … it is certain that the sound feels more familiar with the 110.

My first Naim was a 42, snaps and 110, bought in 1983. I used it with Linn Kans. My first upgrade, on the advice of my dealer, the wonderful Sound Advice in Loughborough, was to a 250. It worked wonders and really kicked those Kans into life. The Saras are much more of a challenge and I wouldn’t consider them without a 250. A 110 simply isn’t up to the task.

My current speakers are an easy load but the difference a 300 makes over a 250 is astonishing. The speakers seem so much larger and the scale is far more realistic. A big amp works wonders with small speakers - nSats on the end of a 300 are astonishing. Quite a few people seem overspeakered and underamped: the other way round is usually so much more rewarding.

1 Like

But that is relative to your current speakers

If you plan on changing speakers then the variables may change.

You need to see the whole Lego…

2 Likes

You mean the old nap110 vs the new nap 100?

@Nait62
If your considering Linn Sara’s definitely keep the 250…they work very well together. Sara’s can be a bit “marmite” for some tastes, they work at their best with matching Linn stands, but require a fairly big room and a good source and amp - a 250 or 2x 135’s to get the best out of them.
I used a pair many years ago with a 42/Snaps/110 but replacing the 110 with a 250 made a BIG difference. However I still found the bass just too much for my room size so replaced them with Linn MK1 Kans (later version) they suited the room far better.

V_R

@anon4489532
Couldn’t agree more with all of that. I’ve friends who never cease to be amazed at the scale and pace of sound from such small speakers - MK1 Kans (later versions) using CB 32/5/Hi-Cap/250 to drive them…yes they may be lacking a little in some areas, but it’s still pretty dam close to listening to a “live performance” in the room with your eyes closed,and for me that’s really what it’s all about !

V_R

2 Likes

I generally agree but hearing Rega RS10s driven by their Brio changed the paradigm for me. As I imagine hearing Ovator S600s in a once Naim ‘recommended’ set comprising CDX2, NAC202, NAPSC, NAP200 and NACA5 would.

1 Like