Upgrade itch 272 / 555PS DR / 300 DR, SL

Have not tested the Gaia and Stillpoints. Would however be interested in the Townshend platforms. Maybe in the future.
For Stillpoints, they have solid reputation. But very costly…The entry level cost near the same as Finite Elemente Cerabases.

Worth every penny!

1 Like

They must be cheaper in US or Canada. In France,

Stillpoints Ultra 6: 1000 euros for one. I need 6…

Please note: in addition to the power supply, you will need two cables: a SNAIC 5 (which should have come with the Stageline) and a 4-to-5 pin DIN interconnect. The Naim connection guide (link here) has diagrams that show you what you need to do.

Thanks Sweet.bippy
I know about two cables, thanks
I was thinking about I SUPPLY ,is much cheeper than Flatcap, but I don’t know if it will work just fine with nac272 and Stageline?What do you think?
Thanks and regards

Very expensive with no explanation as to how they work - and that’s always very suspicious.

They boldly claim that there’s “no direct contact between the component and the surface upon which it rests.”, which implies that they are using a force field (e.g magnetic) to support the component and oppose gravity.
However, they also claim that “The materials used in Stillpoints are ceramics and stainless steel.”, but neither of these are capable of forming permanent magnets with sufficient strength to achieve the magnetic flux density necessary to achieve the repulsive forces they claim at the sizes they state.

Something simply isn’t right here…
Electric forces are insufficiently strong.
The magnetic materials specified are insufficiently strong.
There’s no large power supply to energise electromagnets.

Maybe they are hiding some other materials to achieve the effect…
Such as samarium-cobalt magnets (or the so far mythical room temperature superconductors or just ‘marketing speak’, or even snake oil perhaps?), not even neodymium-iron-boron magnets could achieve the performance they claim.
Or maybe they just weren’t being honest and there actually is a direct connection based on a ceramic load bearing element within the design!

1 Like

i-Supply for Stageline will work fine with NAC-N 272. One less shelf too than if you were to have either a FC or HC for the Stageline.

Audiovarna now setup on an old Mac mini running Tidal via uPnP. Sounding fuller yet without sacrificing detail. Surprisingly easy to setup!

The difference this has made is amazing, it’s like a whole new HiFi!

…the boss has signed off on this visually. The Fraim was a definite no unfortunately! Have any of you gentleman tried this unit and can offer some feedback?

1 Like

Look like Simrack. Some threads were done on it.

3 Likes

Thanks, that looks good too. it’s called Custom Design Milan 6

1 Like

The Simrack seems to be better isolated. Bigger spikes from the floor, the shelves are elevated too.

Simrak shelves are isolated from the levels.

It’s what I meant my sweetie.

1 Like

Are you two in a relationship?

1 Like

Svetly loves me, specially my copies and pastes…

We have a TV on it with Muso, it is fine in that configuration. They are well made, with really nice wood. It does not have as much decoupling ability as the fraim, so i would doubt it wood sound as good, but will not be too bad either.

Quick update - have added the CISCO 2960 switch running directly to the router (previously it was running from a cheap switch running 15 other outlets at various points around the house) and have gained a big improvement on the native 272 TIDAL app, a lot of the ‘thinness’ has gone. @anon4489532

I find that your network setup is important. Using a good switch like the Cisco 2960 and certified Cat 5e or Cat 6 network cables is key. I’ve had issues with no-name Chinese cables in the past so I avoid them.

In my setup I have the option of streaming Tidal via Audirvana on Windows 10, BubbleUpnp server running on a RaspberryPi, or the native Naim Android app. I’m sure that I would not pass a blind test picking which method was actively playing from a Tidal stream. They all sound as good as the stream from my local NAS.

1 Like