Upgrade LP12 or go RP10/aphelion

I just think that the Ittok II and OC-9 is better than the Krane/Adikt and I quite like the afromosia fluted plinth on LP12.

5 Likes

Flutes are best :wink:

3 Likes

With you Mike - Stick with what you have Ittok better than Krane from what I’m hearing through the grapevine :+1:

And from a very reliable source if you read between these lines young fella :grinning:

2 Likes

Audio Origami used to offer a bearings repair/replacement service for the Ittok, but no longer do so - too few around, perhaps?

No, Jonny at Audio Origami got too busy.
He has now trained Paul at The Hifi Gallery who provides Ittok (and some other arms) servicing.

4 Likes

In my recent experience, I would without a doubt keep the LP12 and upgrade as you go along. I have a nice LP12 in my main system and fooled around a bunch with a Rega in my second system. Went all the way to an RP8 and just could not get with the sound of it. I took a break in adding a turntable to that system and just added a LP12 a couple weeks ago and couldn’t be happier. It’s not near the spec of my one in the main system, but a pure delight. I much more enjoy it than the Regas I tried. I have time to upgrade as needed. I love these decks! I’m also real fortunate to have an incredible LP12 dealer in my backyard which makes a huge difference as they require some delicate fine tuning.

Good luck with your decision!

2 Likes

Looking at the reviews of the Heed Quasar I’m not sure the Aphellion would be too much for the Quasar phono stage (remember I also have the larger Obselik power supply with it). There was a very favourable review of the Quasar with the standard Q-PSU with the Lyra Kleos, and it was said that the Quasar easily showed the better cart.

1 Like

So maybe it will be good then. Can you borrow that Rp10 and try in your system ?

1 Like

Sounds like you will go with the LP12. I was looking at upgrading my Rega P6 last year and after much thinking and some demos (several LP12, P10 etc) I went with the Vertere DG-1.

• much simpler to set up and maintain.
  • wonderful airiness, controlled bass and groove from set up.
  • looks cool and modern (esp compared with the LP12 which belongs in an antique shop)
  • only upgrades are cartridges and PS, or move up to an MG….
  • nice local London business
3 Likes

After moving country I was without a deck for years. I got back into it with a VPI Scout with its acrylic platter and isolated motor. It sounded good, but not great. Along came a pre cirkus LP12, now that’s better ! I got cirkus and have been in vinyl heaven since.

I just love bouncy turntables, love the sound.

Nothing else will do. Btw it’s been upgrade to urika and radial. The Ittok is now a black Ekos and top plate was upgraded too. Oh and a fancy Movengui plinth.

3 Likes

Are you a genuine magician to be able to make the bold assertion that “the Ittok is now a black Ekos”?

A pile of money to pay an LP12 magician (Gary Dilliot (RIP) of Better Music made that happen lol

(Ittok trade in for an Ekos I)

1 Like

Ah, a good use of “folding” - the word used by George Cole’s Arthur Daley character in ‘Minder’ to describe cash, which always used to crack me up.

I think the lp12 is a design classic looks wise - each to their own of course but I like the look of my lp12 and compared to some that either look “fisher price” or like an oil rig.

2 Likes

Since owning a Selekt DSM Edition I’m sometimes wondering what an LP12 (not sure in what form) will do to my system … however, the ease of setting up and lack of upgradeability makes me sticking with my Rega P8 …

Some time a better cartridge maybe?

2 Likes

How fast is your LP12?
Invested in new bearing and Lingo 4 last year and seemed fine until recently trying to play a 45. TT resolutely stuck to 33!
Chris Brooks investigated and visited this week to swap black sticky under platter for a different black sticky. All now fine & switch lights dim when correct speed attained (never happened before). Seems Linn sent out a few Lingo 4s with u/s sticky. Moral - check for 45 if recent upgrade……

1 Like

Bought my first LP12 in 1979. The number of turntables which have appeared since then which are ‘better’ than the LP12 but have gone/had to be radically redesigned using new this or new that to improve performance always makes me smile. The LP12 meanwhile sails majestically on looking (& sounding) just what you say it is, a design classic. The modular nature of the deck is such a strength. And I’ve never needed to service mine in any way between cartridge changes/other upgrades. And as this forum goes to show, it remains the benchmark, it’s almost always the one people who’ve bought something else compare their purchase against. Not just hifi but a beautiful piece of furniture.

9 Likes

Modern, and nice

Brinkman Taurus

5 Likes

Very nice. What’s the device at the top right of the picture with the grey handle FR?:thinking:

1 Like

As time has passed I have realized more and more that I almost entirely stopped playing vinyl when I had the P10/Aphelion2, because it was “too analytical.” That was with SuperLine/SuperCapDR.

5 Likes