Upgrade Solstice

I’m sure that many installers will have set up using the ARO template and adjusted accordingly. It’s hardly rocket science to do so. The cartridge didn’t sound bad in it’s factory set position just better following the arc of 18mm overhang. Naim are so pedantic in the way they manufacture I feel that the blame will be probably be found elsewhere.

1 Like

Not sure it should matter to the end 500 customers who is to blame if there is indeed an error. My point is elsewhere. Naim has a setup video on YouTube that clearly shows the 3 point mounting in place. If I am a dealer or end customer I think I do have the right to ask if that is Naim’s position or not on the proper setup of the table.

Do you own a Solstice or have one on order Jas?

I look forward to seeing a comment or response, from Naim, on what @Cohen1263 has reported… :thinking:

1 Like

The retailer did a very sincere installation in my home.

1 Like

I’ve actually sent Jas Gould a message requesting a conversation about it. I sincerely just want all Solstice owners to enjoy their decks to the max. I’m not in any need of recognition. If Jason explains that my findings are erroneous then I will happily stand corrected. I will report back.

2 Likes

I wish. I haven’t even been able to hear it yet…my dealer said he is getting one in at some point though…

1 Like

Im assuming you and your dealer are not the first to do this alignment check?
So, what have others found? Is there an issue or not?

2 Likes

I think it is safe to say that many Solstice owners just assume that the mounted cartridge, as supplied by Naim, is in correct alignment- the three bolt pattern does not allow for fiddling.
I am one of those who has not checked if indeed the cartridge is optimally set by the three bolt pattern. Thanks to @Cohen1263 , I now have to scratch that itch and check…
If the three bolt pattern is not optimal then the third bolt will need removal to fix the problem- this totally negates the benefit of the design as intended.
Hopefully, some clarity will come from Naim on this …

4 Likes

If it needs the third bolt removed then the design is wrong, plain and simple. Surely that wouldn’t happen with two companies as experienced as Naim and Clearaudio. It’s not hard to drill the hole in the headshell in the right place.

Right, shouldn’t be that hard.

I posted the photos guys. The Equinox is not fitted (as shipped) with an 18mm overhang as per ARO template that is supplied. NOT ON MY DECK. When I released the third bolt and moved the cartridge forward in the head shell into the correct set up position, which needed only micro adjustment after checking with dull null point grid, the sound improved noticeably with less surface noise. I set up the DV1t using the same method ( all then double checked and confirmed correct by a competent guy that rebuilds old LP12’s for a pocket money and fun).

I can report that last night the sound quality was superb. Clearly the best that I’ve heard from any source and I’ve owned two LP12’s a Well Tempered a Voyd and a Rega. I will post pics of the DV cartridge set up using the two templates. Which indicates that the ARO template is accurate.

1 Like

2 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

So, in essence, do you believe the design is wrong?

This is what should happen… :thinking:

“The design” ? God no. That’s far too general and the turntable and arm are fantastic components. I’m competent at turntable set up but no Peter Swain so I’m hoping to be put in my place. :-). No reply from Jason G as yet.

1 Like

I’ve emailed Jas and asked him to take a look when he’s back in the factory and has a moment to do so.

3 Likes

Just got off the phone with Jas Gould. The top man is investigating the issue now. I will leave the results of that to be reported through the correct corridor so expect info via Richard on the forum in due course.

4 Likes