Upgrade to 552 or 500?

Are those for the hifi, or whipping? :innocent:

2 Likes

I ran 52/500 for over 10 years before I managed to get a 552. No doubt the 552 is way better and more importantly, a better match for the 500, but I certainly loved 52/500 for all that time. Before that I ran 52/135ā€™s. Also wonderful! In general and considering pure sound quality, Iā€™d agree with the 552 first sentiments, but do just wonder, given the IBā€™s huge room, whether in this case the 500 might be called for first? Just a thoughtā€¦

1 Like

True - itā€™s a very large room
My gut tells me 552
Both would be nicešŸ„ŗ

So if a 500dr becomes available at good price u think the upgrade over 135s is def worth it?
Second hand 552s hard to come by

Assuming your 52 and power supply are serviced and performing well I would certainly not hesitate getting the NAP500. Even the pre-DRā€™d 500 was a big jump on my 135ā€™s. If you are lucky enough to get a DRā€™d 500 then even better. More natural, more effortless with an even bigger soundstage. Then just pace yourself for that 552 sometime in the future. One will come up eventually.

Agreed. Itā€™s the slippery slope. If you are happy, stick with it

1 Like

Say me if I am wrong. The 52 is the older model of the 252? Right?
If itā€™s that, driving a 500 with a 252 is sub optimal. Driving 135 with 552 is more optimal.

1 Like

No, the 52 is a much better pre-amp than the 252 IMO. Itā€™s day and night difference in performance.

Yes, thatā€™s correct and the 252 was the top Naim pre until the 552 was released.

1 Like

I sill remember vividly the first time I heard the NAC 52 when it first came out at my dealerā€™s place in Crystal Palace in South London, I was deeply impressed.

Personally, I think a 282 even sounds better the 252, so if you canā€™t afford a 552, get hold of the 52 as soon as you can.

So yellow -banana

Are you saying you have recently tried the 52 and 252 side by side in a blind test ?

1 Like

I think the logic is that Naim launched an inferior product to the one it replaced. Sarcasm aside, Iā€™ll grant that they would sound different.

1 Like

Is it that big a difference?

I doubt Naim make a product worse

@Richard.Dane @Naim.Marketing do you think the 252 sounds worse than a 52?

Maybe the 252 is more revealing of sources and it exposes the source more than a 52?

Then thereā€™s the Supercap DR upgrade effect to take into account

I had both 52 and 252 for a long period of time, by hindsight, using 252 was a mistake (for me), the music became too soft and dull, I bought it without listening to it beforehand.

1 Like

With Supercap Dr?

yes and no. the supercap dr came much later.

One thing to note that my main source was still my trusty lp12 (and it still is) when I had the 52/252. I only jumped onto the streaming bandwagon only a few years ago.

Fair enough. Thereā€™s been way too many feedback of 252 with exactly the same issue.

I think the 252 is a compromised design (and I think you know what I mean).

But so is a 282 ?

A 552 is a compromised design too. A bit of a reality check people.

3 Likes