Upgrade to 552 or 500?

Agree Mike - getting out of control

1 Like

No, it had to improve on the NAC52, although getting there was not so straightforward and thatā€™s why the NAC252 was the last of the revised pre-amps to appear as it took longest to get just right.

FWIW, I went from a late NAC52 to a NAC252 and the latter definitely added a layer of refinement and clarity that improved on the previous 52. Of course, the NAC552 that soon followed was a fairly big step further up.

4 Likes

Yes that was my experience also Richard having gone from the 52 to the 252

Itā€™s a beauty

Bevo

1 Like

I think that it is a game with bottlenecks. The 552 and the 500 are beautiful components in the group of their species. If you have a 552 you want to own a 500 and if you got a 500 you are in love with a 552.

For me the way in the 500 series started with the 552 - one of the largest steps on the ladder of upgrades. The second step was the 500 and at last there was the ND 555. Ok, that was not in the order of source first. But the last step was the smallest to my ears.

In my opinion it is important which element in your chain in replaced and how large this step is. Because I have never heard a 52 nor a pair of 135s I cannot say how large are the steps to 552 or 500.

In the end a chain of 500 series is a wonderful thing that can really sing.

1 Like

My order too but then the ND555 didnā€™t come out until after I bought a 500 and had it DRed. Somehow the 552 has you scanning the used market for a 500 before long.

1 Like

I went from 282 - 552 first (with a NAP 300)) then 555 and now 500 is arriving Friday. They are all great components and this is a hobby and enjoyment we seek. Whichever path we choose, we will all do it a bit different depending on timing / life and circumstances and funds. Arenā€™t we lucky

5 Likes

Decision made
Hope to have it in a week
Thanks for all your guidance
David

17 Likes

Wow, nice going. Hopefully you can do some A:B vs the 52 and let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Hi Davidf. Now that you have committed to the 552 upgrade, you will definitely want to sample a 500DR in your system to replace your 135ā€™s. If you happen to know anyone who could let you borrow a 500 you would be wise to do so.

1 Like

Hi David,
Apologies only just caught up with your question.
You may have seen my previous posts, as an owner of T88s, I drive them with ND555 x2 555PSDR,552DR and 500DR.
My experience came after adding the ND555 with both power supplies to the combo.
After an extensive run in, 8 or 9 months I felt the ND555 should have been a lot better.
I researched this and other forums, saw your own system pics, to find an answer and even considered ditching the ND555 for Duncs favoured Rossini.
Thomas with his thread on room treatment was also influential.
Many fellow forum members who instead of coupling their speakers to the floor prefered to decouple, whether suspended or hard floors, I have a suspend floor.
The stock Din/xlr cables also caught my attention as a possible bottleneck.
I have now addressed these areas, room treatment to a lesser degree and for me in my room etc.etc. they have unlocked the boxes to give of their best.
I started with moving the T88s into freer space, as yours.
Then purchased Podiums, that was a revelation, it was like a power amp and speaker swap, effortless, free of the cabinets and the micro detail, gobsmacked!
Things did seem a little brighter though and that led me to swap out the stock Din/xlr for the Morgana, possibly could be bettered by the Chords, but for me great vfm and would not rule out trying to improve on these in the future.Yes they did address some of the brightness but they give so much more.
Room treatment came after, I had moved the T88s off the wall which revealed a better soundstage and subsequently played about with placement.This hinted towards putting absorbers behind the T88s, which Iā€™ve now done, the brightness is now fine, and not to be confused with real. The soundstage and micro detail has increased,wetting my appetite :woozy_face: What would a PhoenixNET bring to the party?..ā€¦donā€™t tell meā€¦ā€¦I have a perfectly good imagination :joy::joy:
If youā€™ve stayed with me this far, then thank you.
I see youā€™ve decided on the 552, great, canā€™t be the wrong purchase given your system but the 500 will now be on the want listšŸ¤” good on its own but the synergy between both is unmistakeable.
The crux for me, in retrospect the other adjustments and considerations should have come first.
Message toself : itā€™s not always about the boxes.
Thanks again, enjoy the 552 and 500, when you pull the trigger :joy::joy:
Donā€™t part with the T88s until youā€™ve at least considered the additions I have mentioned
Take care
Russ

2 Likes

Thanks Russ, I have no intention of parting with the T88s. Rare as they are I think they would have to be considered a bargain at second hand prices , especially considering the cost of the 808s which replace them. They may not win a beauty contest (though I like their purposeful look), but they work a treat in my large room and are the best loudspeaker I have owned.
Iā€™m looking forward to see what the 552 will bring to my system. My expectations are rather high and I hope the 552 will work with the 135s. Fingers crossed.
Your system should be amazing. Good that u gave the T88s some breathing room.
David

1 Like

As I await my 552dr a question.
What input do I use for my ndx2 to connect to? I use 5pin din-din cable (Sarum T).
What is safest way to remove transit bolts?
Also I pray my ndx2/555psdr is good enough source :thinking:
David

1 Like

Hi David,

My ND555 is connected via the CD input, but I have a fellow hifi friend staying with us at present and his NDS is connected via AUX 1, both are 552drs and installed by the same dealeršŸ¤”.

Removing the transit screws, fortunately I have an unused Sound Orgā€™ table which without the table top gives an open frame on which to access them.

Never had NDX2 so sorry not able to give a view.

BW

Russ

On my streamer I balanced it on the sofa arm so that it was even and level and I could reach the bolts underneath. Itā€™s no real hassle.

2 Likes

I usually remove the transit bolts with the ND555 on my knee.

Does it matter which din input is used on the 552 for a streamer?

The one on the end (where CD input is on the other pres) but Iā€™ve mapped it to hd, for no particularly good reason as I disconnected the CD player pretty quickly and set the streamer to chassis instead.

Has anyone used ndx2/555psdr with 552?
Seems like most have nd555 or nds
Just curious whether my source ($20,000) is good enough for the 552
My dealer who is 1500 miles away assures me it is
But buying blindā€¦ā€¦
David

I think NDX2 is awesome streamer specially with a 555psdr. You can enjoy your amazing system first, whenever you feel you want more. you can always update to a ND555.

1 Like

Eventually you will have a full 500 series of course.

3 Likes