Upgrade?

That would be an expensive upgrade, but the point is that N-Sats would not be out of place in such a system. A lot of their potential is wasted with an Atom, so upgrades would reap real sound quality benefits. I’m sure a Nova or NDX2/Supernait would be worthwhile too.

2 Likes

I have not heard Uniti Nova yet but I use Uniti Atom with Vienna Acoustics Speakers like you. Upgrading from the Atom to Nova is a significant investment. Streaming technologies will continue to develop and in a few years there will be new devices. I have made good experiences with tuning measures with the Uniti Atom. Speaker cables have significant differences. I use Tellurium Ultra Black with the Vienna Acoustics Haydn, which I got at a good price. Sounds great, much better than the normal Tellurium Black II. Vovox excelsus speaker cable
is also very fast and strong in bass. For the overall sound balance, the placement of the Atom is important. A big progress has brought me the setup after the approach of @Xanthe here in the forum, also in the bass (10mm glass plate - toughened Glass with Silicon Nitrid Ball Bearings on a Bambus base). This is very inexpensive to do yourself- ca 100 Euro). Decoupling the speakers is also a very good approach. For this purpose, there are many posts forum. For me, the new Solidsteel stands were a big step forward. I’m listening to a Christmas playlist via Qobuz right now - I enjoy very much. Merry Christmas to all.

4 Likes

Could you tell me what bearings you use? alternatives in brands, since in my country there are practically no such components

my atom is simply on the wooden cabinet. Could you refer me to a thread or page about it? Thank you

1 Like

I use a bamboo chopping board and some sorbothane isolation feet, available from Amazon for my Unitiqute Works a treat, tightens up imaging and bass

1 Like

The thread with the basics is “Support for glass” in this forum. I got the glass plate from a local glazier-shop. The ball bearing material is Silikon-Nitrid Si3N4. I have got them from Georg Lutz AG in Switzerland. The brass bases I have got from a lokal plumber shop too.

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. i think to look for a second hand NAP or to wait for the next generation of naim streamers to buy what will be the next nova…
Thanks

Don’t hold your breath, there is plenty of life left in the current streaming platform. You might see some new variants of it appearing, such as streaming preamps etc. but there is no complete streaming board replacement in the pipeline.

I have Xanthe-designed glass and ceramic ball vibration isolation platforms under my Naim boxes too.

It’s interesting that you found significant SQ improvements from doing this.

HI
how to connect an atom to an n-sub and to a nap200 in the meantime? Atom has only one preamp output…

You would use the high level connection, preferably from the loudspeaker input terminals. Any thin speaker cable will be fine, you just need to choose a connection that will work with your speaker sockets and cables. Best to use Naim speaker plugs at the N-Sub end.

I use n-SATs with a NDX 2 and SN3 - not in anyway do i feel they need a n-SUB. The music that comes out of them is truly amazing, way more than the sum of their parts. Fantastic speakers.:rofl::ok_hand:

1 Like

If you heard them with the sub you may hear what you’ve been missing. The Sats always sounded congested without one to me. Somehow constrained and shut in.

I use mine in a flat with a concrete floor, ceiling and solid walls, perhaps this is playing to their strengths? Also take into account mine are close to a rear wall (4cm), using the n-STANDs and 2 x 10 metres of NAC A5 cables with SA8 plugs.

To put things into some context here - my Motive SX2s were way too bass-y, lacked detail, dynamics, insight and synergy by comparison.

My N-sat are hanging on a very solid wall using n-brackets and They works very well also without the sub but the n-sub gives them a more defined and deep bass. I wouldn’t change this setup for anything in the world!
@ChrisSU is it possible to connect the atom to a NAP and the use the NAP to drive the sats and the Atom speaker connection to drive the n-sub using the high level connection?

Hi, using the pre out on the Atom does not disable its power amp output so I guess this should work. It would certainly make the connections easier as you wouldn’t need to figure out a way of connecting two cables into one socket.
Whether this would give optimal performance compared to connecting both cables to the same sockets, I’m not sure. Maybe worth a call to Naim support ot your dealer to confirm.

Hi,
I’ve found a second hand NAP 250 DR that will be perfect for my n-sats. Then the Atom isn’t up to it but
I think to can start buying the 250, use it with the atoma waiting for some new streaming preamps …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.