uPnP Server Sound Quality

I can see no point in storing WAVs on a Naim server, with the possible exception of the Core. Using FLAC eliminates this metadata issue and reduces file size. Set it to transcode FLAC to WAV on playback if that sounds better, as many claimed, at least on the old streamers.
It seems a pity that the functionality of the Core has been hobbled to the point that this can’t be done.

1 Like

I believe yould should be able to store in whatever format you like. Even MQA.

FLAC has limitations in its private metadata format - It would be better if they like most formats adopted ID3.

Ok, thanks for the correction.

I read the docs for SongKong which I use on top of minim.

The Wav+ID3 is the de-facto standard for seving/archiving. Even Melco and Twonky support it now.

The alternative is what Nsim has been doing - keeping metadata on the side. Thats what I am seeing in pro-apps from Avid, Apple etc. Everyone in their private format.

I principle you are right but WAV has been abandonware for a long time. I was not even aware WAV+ID3 still was controversial. Most seem happy to have decent tagging in WAV at last.

Sure it is in consumer land, I was referring to commercial use for media tagging where there is a richer set of tags in List Info for media creation and archiving, rather than just the narrow focus of published distributed music tags.
I think the only issue with List Info is that the mapping of some of the authoring/arching tags to consumer distributed published music tags is not always clear for some of the tag types, so there is an interpretation issue. Operating systems like Windows only use List Info (at least last time I was delving here) unless you have loaded extensions to read other ID3 chunk constructs. Dbpoweramp for example loads extensions into OSX and Windows to read these informal ID3 tags… though it is true by default OSX doesn’t even read the formal List Info tags either.

What do you mean by “private metadata format” and what are the most severe limitations?

The metadata format of flac seems to be well-documented, e.g. at https://xiph.org/flac/format.html.

Indeed, FLAC uses Vorbis Comments meta data … as also used by the Ogg Vorbis codec, used by Spotify, the world’s largest streaming service… not aware of any Spotify issues with meta data.

I use dbPoweramp to rip to FLAC. Sometimes the tagging isn’t quite right so I then use MP3tag to correct things. When using MP3tag to edit metadata; does this edit the pre-existing tag or create a different tag?

Thanks @Steeve, I have added this to my Tidal favourites and will have a listen tonight.

It edits (overwrites) the pre-existing metadata as was ripped from the CD

Many thanks

I don’t know anything about MP3tag, but metadata editors I’ve used can overwrite any existing tags, and will also create new tags from scratch if you want them to.

Well @Steeve, what a great album. Yes the first track is very good, the vocal comes in and seems to have spring reverb on it - unusual but effective. You mention the bass kicking in, I also notice the lower registers of the piano at this point too, - very good.

The second track is even better; it reminds me of Gretchen Peters’ Blackbird and a bit of a Led Zeppelin feel!

For anyone else who is interested, don’t be put off by the fact that it is classified as country; I would suggest more like folk. Very well written songs with interesting lyrics and great musicians.

I have switched between tidal MQA and Qobuz 24/96. Not much in it but if I had to choose I would say Qobuz has the slight edge by sounding more cohesive. tidal is perhaps a bit more analytical. Both are very good.

I am now on the 6th track and writing this is distracting me.

An excellent album and thank you for the recommendation.

1 Like

I wonder why you don’t use dbpoweramp to sort out the metadata. It’s all I use and it does everything.

In defence of Mp3tag, I now use it for sorting out most metadata, I find it so much easier to edit an album as a whole.
Secondary point; I find metadata from CD rips with dBpoweramp to be invariably faultless, unlike some of the FU’s I’ve found with downloads, Qobuz in particular; then thank goodness for Mp3tag.

1 Like

I had a quick listen to that album too, nice, although I think I prefer some of her earlier stuff, like The Story and Bear Creek. She sure can belt out a tune, although sometimes I think she can get a bit ‘shouty’.

FWIW I did not have one of the previous generation streamers, preferring the CD555, but on the ND555 can hear clear differences between Asset, Minimserver and Twonky, having a preference for Asset as somewhat better balanced and truer in instrumental tone on my system.

As for editing tags, I agree with HH re DBPoweramp

With dbpoweramp I simply highlight all the tracks and edit them in one go, to correct album title, album artist, genre etc. I wonder how mp3tag could be any easier.

Its not easier as such, having tried both & others - & dBpoweramp for a considerable time - I just find the way the Mp3tag work page visuals & the the banner line task menu facilities easier/better to work with.

Yes I found the same with the last few tracks and actually switched to listen to The Story - only listened to a few tracks but I think I actually prefer it. Certainly a great artist.