US mass shootings - Tragedy after tragedy

Am sure the collective wisdom of all of the American public will awake one day - to what we see happening in USA from outside USA ( regarding guns and shootings )

There is hope…as there is still humanity left…

I pray the day comes soon enough for a safer America and a happier one…

regards

2 Likes

@anon93526344

Amen!

2 Likes

Just a few thoughts ;-

a. The gun control that most of us are talking about may take years to come.

People need to really wake up and acknowledge the extent of the problem

b. Its is the prevalence of the semi Automatics and the like that seem to be the cause of the 3 incidents in the past week and also i remember 1 in a hotel on LV i think with higher number of fatalities.

So i guess the American government could start off by :-

a. Having the democrats and republicans declare their total money income from lobbying bodies like NRA

b. Sell only rubber bullets ( as a stop gap ) for semi automatics etc… Withdraw the real ones…

This will comply with the law with the right to bear arms but will stop the weaponization of the citizenry

c. Large supermarkets to stop selling guns and accessories. I was shocked that walmart will continue to sell guns even after this incident.

Large corporates need to wake up and smell the coffee…and take responsibility by example.

d. Access to crowded areas to be restricted to people with any gun.

Please deposit your gun at the counter / locker before you enter. Special entrances & check points to be made for folks carrying guns

Airports are a good example of where one cannot enter with a weapon.

The right to bear arms need not be extended to areas of public gathering.

e. Erect a platform in NY and Washington and all towns having a population of more then 10000 - have all Democrat and Republican leaders stand on that platform - just for 1 hour and just for this 1 day and just for this 1 topic and they must hold hands and commit to a safer USA without automatic weapons for a start.

This is a case where the local public to walk up to the local leaders and express their clear thoughts on this platform and not just exchange words of condolences and platitudes.

Brickbats welcome…

I am aware there are many problems in my country to solve but i thought i could put down suggestions simply because I care.

regards

1 Like

It’s so very sad to see another group of people senselessly shot. I used to think Britain had stupidly draconian laws on gun ownership as I have enjoyed shooting when I have occasionally tried it. Now I realise that in fact British restrictions on gun ownership make it safer than if we followed the US system I used to support.

I can’t help feeling that Trump’s divisive politics are contributing to hate crime of this nature. It would be interesting to see if statistics support that.

After visiting the States for the first time in 1978 aged 9 I developed a lifelong love for the country and its people. I found them enormously friendly and as a nation it seemed to have a far better standard of living than we enjoyed in what seemed like the rather dismal Britain of 1978. In 1978 America had put a man on the moon, was building the space shuttle and was a beacon of freedom and tolerence in the world, had pioneered the hippy counterculture of love and peace and yet had developed and pioneered so much in music, technology and science from computers to skateboards.

When I visited earlier this year I was struck by how the American dream seemed to have turned sour for many. People weren’t as friendly or as happy, I sensed that life was hard for those working in restaurants and bars and gas stations. Minimal wages, poor social infrastructure, no real free healthcare and an economic and political system that has widened the gulf between the absurdly wealthy and the majority. It was a society which seemed to lack neighbourly camaraderie, trust and where the ‘me, me, me’ attitude prevailed. I finally saw that the more socially democratic system in Europe seems to produce a happier society overall - indeed my biggest fear now is that the UK is ruled by Trump 2, we may be moving in the direction of becoming more like America than Europe.

Quite where this leaves the USA or what it can do given the strength of the gun lobby and indeed capitalist business I am unclear. Perhaps you need a socially democratic president who will act in the interests of the majority, for ‘we’ not ‘I’. Perhaps to build a society which offers more equality, workers rights and where people are happy to pay some of their taxes for the good of society. It seems to me that extremes of poverty probably lead people to extreme views and actions.

Jonathan

5 Likes

No Brick bats, most makes sense but unfortunately wouldn’t fly either. Pity.

1 Like

An old saying…

A river makes its own way…

Regards

2 Likes

According to the White House, these attacks are the fault of the fake media. Are we really that stupid.

Or…

All that is necessary for evil to succeed is that good men do nothing. (attributed to Burke but now doubted).

3 Likes

Trump in the White House, Boris in No.10 and millions in the UK cheering his no deal Brexit plans would suggest that collectively we are :frowning:

4 Likes

One might add “and Corbyn as still leader of the UK Labour party” to the list of evidence…

3 Likes

Yes we could be here for a long time adding the names of these useless fools.

2 Likes

Yes, once again America is @ an inflection point!

The Reconstruction and Civil Rights Era presented America with an opportunity for change.

What bothers me is the attention that the Donald receives whilst the Senate is Silent !

Yes, the above maxim/quote displays how horrific the silence can be!

Ironically, the Donald should be commended: The political conversation has shifted from Healthcare, Gun Control, Immigration, Prison Reform to the Main Theme! America !

It would be a shame for American to squander another inflection point!

Interesting statistics in a BBC news report - 78% of all extremist killings in USA during 2018 are attributed to white supremacist’s, the next in the table is at 16% attributed to anti-government. Islamic related killings are at the bottom of the table at 2%.
Now with the El Paso event, how concerned should Mr & Mrs Joe Blow be that the country is facing a growing extremist racism problem, is just the influence of the orange deranged one, or is it within the Republican party in general, or what else is going on??

A commendable list, and I thank you for your thoughtfulness.

Sadly, as several Americans here have said, there isn’t the political will to do anything (not one damn thing) in the current climate – no matter that most of us want action.

I love that!

2 Likes

Sadly the folks who elected Trump are not a bright bunch. And they have a media that caters to their insecurities instead of reporting the news.

1 Like

One picture says it all !
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

I’d start with electing leaders who don’t preach hatred, vilification, bigotry and racism.

3 Likes

Agreed, your statement makes absolute sense, we just need to look around and see what are actually happening right now.

2 Likes

I’d also be wary of leaders who make light of violence and who think that calls (during campaign rallies) for people to be shot are funny. Also steer away from leaders who suggest that police should assault detainees when placing them in patrol cars. Leaders that don’t denounce fascists (and who actually claim that some fascists are “very fine people”) would also be on my list to avoid. I’d not want to elect leaders that engage in money laundering and tax fraud, nor to elect leaders who call for foreign intervention in elections. Yep, that’s where I’d start.

1 Like

Sadly you’d probably have to pass on voting, as seem most fit the above. Even those who claim to want “to drain the swamp” end up head deep in the same crap.