Using a seperate Word Clock

Just been looking at gps locked 10MHz clocks… they’re really cheap! We’re talking c. a hundred quid!

They do look interesting at those prices, though the Uptone blurb talks about they would have to pay 500 dollars to significantly better the ER clock. Though still might be worth a punt?

That’s what I’m thinking. Several forum posts using one from china that’s about a hundred quid delivered!

1 Like

Probably misread your post then to language issues.
I thought you’re where saying that it was not possible to put an external GPS world clock on a esoteric clock.

Oh I see. That’s not what I meant at all.

Which one is that Steve?

I do wonder whether any thought that “an external / add-on clock must be an upgrade” is a bit old-fashioned.

But if a customer base is used to this being the case, there may be little incentive for a mfg’er to move away from it. If dCS were to come out with a new line that did not benefit from an external clock, would customers be suspect?

We’ve made some progress with high-end integrated amps over the past few years. The notion of going from a 4-box 500 system to a single integrated amp has been catching on. We know that it’s not essential to separate power supply from amp, or pre from power; it’s just one way. Maybe this clock thing will go the same route.

I think you have an interesting point here. It shows perhaps some of this is to do with habit and preconceptions

Well the one that people talk about is…

However I prefer the look of

Because it has two squarewave outputs.

That is what popped up for me online, interesting. Talked to Signals yesterday and i will borrow a 2 rail Plixir in a few weeks time. Spare output for clock.

2 Likes

I think it safe to assume that the recording studio will have used a clock source which would be far superior to the clock used in the average domestic DAC. Something like master reference clock with an atomic 10MHz source. So the clock used by the DAC will probably be more relevant. Just my 2d worth :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wouldn’t be too sure. Commercial equipment absolutely varies in quality just like consumer.

You can hear the difference between poor, average and excellent recording and production equipment on a good replay system, especially with high end headphones.

1 Like

Agreed… I also think once your system reaches a certain performance level then tinkering like this, be it better interconnects/power supplies/clocks/etc…, has more relevance the better the source recording. Dare I say that those of us that tend to listen to album recordings that date from several decades ago will probably appreciate these changes less.

1 Like

@Nestor_Burma ( thread is Er plus lps) bought a chineese clock for 100 dollars and found an improvement on the Etheregen.

2 Likes

Please don’t post links here to items for sale. Thank you.

Yes for ER it brought a nice improvement, no question. Works with lpsu 1.2 ultracap. Please note I currently only use qobuz streaming.

1 Like

The same might be applied to external power supplies. How much do they fundamentally make a difference versus our expectation as Naim users that they will? And consequently Naim continuing to design things in a way where they do make a difference to their products.

So many things like external clocks, offboard power supplies, external DACs, etc. come down to engineering decisions that play to the designer’s strengths and avoid problems related to their weakneses. Knowing TEAC, they’ve probably done an exemplary job on implementing external clocks on their Esoteric range. And it’s probably a design decision that result in an improvement for their gear.

And if it’s old school, that’s understandible. TEAC are/were the in house technical arm of NHK. So kind of like all the old companies that used to be solely tiedd to the BBC if the comparison helps people understand their place in the world.

Okay… sorry.

btw I’ve been doing some research re. those cheap GPSDO Disciplined 10MHz Clocks. I wondered why they’re listed as refurbished and not new. Well it’s because they all use second hand GPS modules. Typically Trimble or Symmetricom brand. I read a review where some audio guy purchased a unit and stripped it down and the GPS module was 11 years old!

1 Like

Okay I’ll take a punt, c. £76 for one from china… Purchased. Might be here for Christmas.

1 Like