Using Audiophilleo/Pure Power w Nova

Hello Charles

I would check that the Nova does not think it’s playing from USB. It really shouldn’t think that it’s got a USB drive connected with the PP connected.

Failing that if it works and charges with the PP daisy chained then that is fine. If you stop playing music then after some timeout (may be quite long - many minutes) it should change from AP ON to AP OFF at which point it starts charging.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I’ve tried a few things (reboots, different cables etc) but nothing seems to take the AP out of OFF mode.

I can’t ever get iPeng to work, so that’s not an option.

The only time I’ve had sound was yesterday using Roon on the Innuos.

The Nova was fine yesterday and recognised the signal via the BNC but today nothing is responding.

I’ve contacted the seller and he’s fine for a return and refund.

Hopefully, better luck next time.

Have you checked that the Innuos is seeing the Audiophilleo. Note that the last digit of the serial number is dropped! It also gives the firmware version. The battery can need changing after 3 years if the play time gets too short.

Phil

Ah, thanks Phil.

The AP/PP was still not working, so I replaced the supplied BNC to BNC with one from my former Chord set up, and adjusted the tightness of the two screw fittings and it’s now ON. So it’s one of those connections that presumably was at fault.

Re: Innuos settings: That’s good, thank you. I’ve deactivated Roon, and I’m now running iPeng, and yes I’ve got sound!

Thanks for your advice and patience.

One final (I hope!) question, how do I get Qobuz playing in iPeng? It says use server settings->advanced->Qobuz and type password but no such window appears.

1 Like

Hi Charles

The Innuos Settings Menu is where you configure Qobuz. It’s in the same section as Music Player Output. Configure Qobuz is the last item. It needs your account logon details. Once you have done that iPeng My Apps is where you select Qobuz.

Make sure the PP switches to charging if required when the music is off for a while. Glad to have been able to help.

I hope the SQ makes it a worthwhile investment. Gives us an update.

I had silence once as well which is why I suggested supporting the AP2 as I showed in the photo.

Phil

1 Like

Thanks again Phil, Qobuz is now up and running in iPeng.

Is there anyway to get any of the album artwork to display in the iPeng app, for both Qobuz and the fair few of the stored files that are blanked out still?

I’ve checked the AP and it’s charging whilst I have a break from playing music. Will it automatically default to charging status?

SQ wise: now it seems to be working I will be able to listen more attentively and fully later on. Will report back accordingly.

Re: support for the AP unit. My BNC cable is a long enough for it to lay comfortably horizontally on a separate shelf of the rack to the PP.

Thanks again.

Not a problem I have had. I did rip my CDs with Innuos as the Naim Rippers had an issue with track length. You could try the various Innuos options such as Rebuild and Reset. The fact that Qobuz does not display artwork is different. Have you installed the latest software?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, I’ve got the latest Innuos software and the latest version of iPeng.

It’s not exactly a dealbreaker having the artwork, it just feels and looks quite a comedown after the many splendours of Roon and the relatively appealing Naim app, but in really it is all about SQ, ultimately.

Hi @Charles64

If you have got the server to rebuild etc which does not take much time, and if you feel the Innuos rip does not give you artwork, then email Innuos support who are prompt and very helpful. I’m sure they will get to the bottom of the problem.

Roon on the other hand creates all the metadata and artwork. It leaves you with little choice and seemed cumbersome to alter. I’m not fussy about metadata as long as I can find my music.

The thing I like about Innuos is that it works and they are responsive.

Phil

Sounds like @Filipe has resolved the setup issue

AP plug in the Nova BNC, with one of the supplied BNC converters, the PP supplies power only during playback and plugs into the AP. Then a USB A goes from the Innuos to the USB B on the AP.

Phil has mentioned the Innuos configuration.
In iPeng goto apps, pick Qobuz, then you’ll be able to navigate Qobuz.

Yes after using Roon UI which I even purchased a 12.9 iPad to get the full splendor.

IPeng really socks but is functional.

If and when Innuos release their app, fingers crossed it will have a Room like curating function.

So guys I’ve had a few hours of uninterrupted listening with the AP/PP in play.

1. using iPeng disabling Roon on the Innuos - FLAC and Qobuz
  2. Enabling Roon Core in Experimental mode with the AP as the endpoint or zone(?) - stored FLAC and Qobuz
    and for comparative purposes
  3. FLAC files into Nova via front USB port from a ext hard drive
  4. Qobuz via Naim app/ streamer.

For me, the best sounding in order and admittedly lots of faffing between after 5-10 mins of each and then back again etc:

Option 2 - Roon Experimental with AP
Option 4 - Qobuz Naim
Option 1 - iPeng AP
Option 3 - Front USB/ext.hard drive

So, is this where the shortcomings of Zen Mini3/LPSU reveal themselves.
iPeng with AP was decent but I expected more. Things may change but I’m fairly certain option 2 beats the rest for me.

Would I higher spec Innuos later things and get more out of the AP than I’m currently experiencing?

In option 2 what role is the AP playing exactly in the signal path? It actually sounds pretty fantastic.

If the Nova is using the BNC input then the AP is in action. It’s there to deal with whatever bitstream the Innuos sends it upto 24b at 192k.

I ripped using wav.

Phil

Okay, that makes sense.

This is my Roon signal path. What’s doing the D/A conversion? The Innuos or the Nova. I’m guessing the former, and the Nova is just in amp duties here, is that right?

The Nova. The Innuos Zen Mini has a basic DAC that outputs via RCA plugs.

Make sure you compare like with like. i.e. 16b/44.1. Hires naturally sounds different.

Phil

Yes, I’ve made sure I’m comparing the same quality of files.

I’ve just had another listen using iPeng, now I’m trying to go back to Roon Core Experimental but for some reason the AP though fully on, can’t now be found in Roon settings.

I’ve checked playback mode in the Innuos and it’s set to the AP, and I’ve rebooted the Innuos too.

*worked it out now.

1 Like

Not really plug and play all that :rofl:

Ha!

Plug and faff around all day isn’t much of a selling point.

1 Like

Haha. Didn’t have any of your problems! It’s not the AP though. More likely using Roon Experimental mode, which I found flakey even when I left it settled. Unfortunately, Roon have a take it or leave it attitude which means everyone else have to sort out issues their changes cause. This is typical of other big corporations.

Phil

1 Like